Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: oil type

This is why we should all just have our BMW dealer change the oil, BMW and our BMW dealer knows best. That's why they put the service reminder in for us, so we don't have to overthink things, the light comes on and we take it down to the dealer...
    (2015 R1200R, HP2 Sport #168, 2003 GL1800)

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    ...JASO MA2 is still the gold standard in my opinion...
    Paul, what is your thinking on MA?

Seeing as MA2 and MA1 are simply sub-categories of MA spec, with MA2 representing the top roughly 2/3rds of the friction window of MA and MA1 representing the bottom 1/3rd. MA2 (and IIRC MA1) also places a ceiling on phosphorus to comply with the ILSAC GF-5 / API SN changes that deal with reducing emissions and prolonging catalytic converter life.

My concern has been that the newer specs (SN/MA2 vs SL/MA) seems to be mostly dealing with prolonging converter life by reducing the allowable levels of phosphorous which means increased engine wear (phosphorous and zinc are anti-wear additives that are being reduced by the new standards). Most JASO MA oils will fall within the friction parameters of MA2 (for good wet-clutch operation) but many don't meet the reduction in phosphorous requirement which trades off increased engine wear for reduced catalytic converter wear. Just as the move from API-SL to SM and now SN is virtually completely involved in reducing phosphorous, zinc, etc., levels (thereby increasing the rate of engine wear) to reduce catalytic converter wear.

I'm not sure either engine or converter wear is an issue on my bikes (I'm at the age where I likely won't wear either out), but at $1,870 the converter is less than half that of an engine overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by JT_R1200S View Post
    This is why we should all just have our BMW dealer change the oil, BMW and our BMW dealer knows best. That's why they put the service reminder in for us, so we don't have to overthink things, the light comes on and we take it down to the dealer...
    I'm not sure that is what anyone else has suggested.

Certainly if we all followed the "BMW and our BMW dealer knows best" track most of us would be in trouble as it has over the years taken a vigilant BMWMOA community along with BMWRA, Airheads, etc., members to hold BMW itself and BMW dealers accountable for their mistakes and to provide a body of information that has lead to the resolution of numerous issues that the community at large fixed/corrected or provided the impetus to fix/correct not BMW or it's dealership network.

You are more than welcome to pay a 50%-100% premium for a BMW labeled oil or part that is manufactured by someone else, but it is absolutely not necessary. All one needs to do is use high-quality products that meet the specifications of their vehicle and have the work done by a competent person. Buying those products from the actual manufacturer versus their BMW labelled identical product, get you exactly the same thing.

As has been said before, we tend to put too much effort into trying to identify what is the very best when it often has no bearing on the application and any high-quality product that meets the specs will do just as well as another. Good oil changed frequently is better than great oil changed infrequently. At the end of the life-span of the average BMW motorcycle, I doubt very much that there would be any benefit noticed in an engine teardown between a bike that had run BMW oil changed on schedule at the dealership versus the equivalent Amsoil, Mobil-1, Shell, Motul, etc. that was changed by a competent owner or independent tech. There would however, be a significant difference in the TCO (total cost of ownership). I'm capable of doing that work myself and want to do it, others don't wish to do that so to each their own, but for me, I prefer to do as much work as I can on my vehicles as nobody is as concerned about my bike as I am.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Two Maintenance Items that are Clearly an over priced Scam.

OIL AND FREE Tars....

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Mine was probably made in 1949
    Has 5000 hours total time
    With 300 since major overhaul
    While production stopped from Pratt there was/is enough new old stock parts to still build engines
    Good cams and cranks are getting pricy
    A couple after market scource's for just about everything
    Bush planes and crop dusters have kept over haulers in business as the go through a engine in one or two seasons
    Not to be dismissive of the piston plane engines (Lycoming is 50-miles up the road from me) or how long air-frames will last, but 1940 and 50's technology is just that. What was good for those engines isn't necessarily the proper care for a next century motorcycle engine.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    The head engineer in the one of the sections in our test facility ran the oil in his BMW 330 Ci for 20K to 22K kilometer intervals. Each time he took a sample of oil up to the lubricants lab and it checked out OK.

He bought that car new in 2000 and still drives it today. The last I heard many years ago, he had about 300K kms on it.
    This is when we need Rob Lentini to tell the story about ANG maintenance and how they always reused the oil in the F-whichever jet.

Yes, I've seen too many oil threads..........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks