• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any high mileage wetheads out there?

I also checked and couldn't find anything on motorcycles. If you get something back from them please share. Thanks.:lurk

Through Dealer

I have sent off a inquiry as to what they offer and cost to use them on my 17.5 GS.

Looking at the link I could find nothing on motorcycles so I e-mailed.

I am curious to cost and then will contact a dealer to see if they deal with them.

I paid $1500 for additional 2 years at the end of my 2014 GS OEM warranty. Bought at SJBMW.

High Mileage GS

Mine has over 100,000 kms on it and so far the only issue I had was the DWS computer quit in me in California last year. Otherwise fresh oil and tires. I do my own maintenance so I keep ahead of most issues with lots of driving, like I just changed the front when bearings, they were fine but! Nice bike, will keep for another several 100,000 kms I think.

86,000 miles in 27 months. Zero problems.

The idea of replacing tires because they age out is simply hilarious to me. Seven fronts, 11 rears, 2 sets of front brakes, 3 rears, and just replaced rotors F&R (ouch!). UOA shows good, no wear.

Correction: my front TPMS died. It's been sketchy about connecting the last month or so and today the alert on my Nav V told me it was reporting over 74 psi.

Update 12/2019: Sold with 149,898 miles in 44 months. The only real issue was a slightly leaky FD seal at 98K - solved with application of a credit card LOL. It was starting to use oil, it would be at the bottom of the ring around 5K. When new it would be in the lower half of the ring around 6K so I didn't have to add oil between services. By the time I'd gotten to 110K I'd determined that the valves were stable (no adjustments, ever) and had 70K of used oil analysis behind me. Based on UOA I was going 10K between changes (add a quart around 5K, then service when it needed oil next) and doing a "12K" service (oil & filter, FD oil, valve check) at the same time, basically skipping the "6K" service altogether. UOA was always good, no wear metals.

Last edited:
124,500 mile 2015 rtw

I checked my valve clearances for the first time without a knowledgeable person helping. I did have a Harley riding friend here to help with my confidence level. I did the procedure once before with Lee Farling so had a pretty good idea of what i was doing. So,all the valves were still in spec except the 2 exhaust valves on the left side were at .41,right at the edge of being in spec. I changed the shims on those valves and put them at.37.The procedure was not very difficult. The only small problem i had was getting the cam block off. I am installing new wheel bearings next week.The original ones are still ok but am going west to do the 100k Rally and want the piece of mind .

High mileage wethead?

2015 GSA, 73,000 miles, zero issues. Regular maintenance, rear brakes and tires. The absolute BEST motorcycle I have owned in 55 years of riding.

I purchased a 2016 R1200 RT in April 2016 from Tytlers in DePere Wisconsin. I currently have 53,300 miles on it. Love this motorcycle. I did experience a drive shaft failure at 29,000 miles. I was without the motorcycle from May 2 to June 4 2017. I was in Florida attempting an Iron Butt 50 CC. That ride is Coast to Coast in under 50 hours. The repair was covered completely by BMW under warranty including some trip interruption reimbursement. After a little research, I found out this is not totally uncommon.

Interesting, this is only the 2nd report I've read now of anything involving any part of the final drive in wethead RTs. The first is rhaines' report of a failed front u-joint at 73K miles. What exactly failed in the final drive assembly? The drive shaft itself? Splines? Also, the 'is not totally uncommon', elaborate if you can by recollection of what sorts of failures occurred that you can recall. I've read some stories of pre-wethead models.

Interesting, this is only the 2nd report I've read now of anything involving any part of the final drive in wethead RTs. The first is rhaines' report of a failed front u-joint at 73K miles. What exactly failed in the final drive assembly? The drive shaft itself? Splines? Also, the 'is not totally uncommon', elaborate if you can by recollection of what sorts of failures occurred that you can recall. I've read some stories of pre-wethead models.

IMO he is not saying these failures are not totally uncommon but rather the trip interruption expenses may be absorbed by the company is not totally uncommon.

My 2014 GSA just turned 47k. Only issue was a flat camshaft r/s intake at 29k last june. Took a while to get the parts as they were in Germany. Other wise all is well and its running very nicely.

bob

Hi Bob
I live in Chandler and if your ever interested in hooking up for a ride that would be great. I take rides out to Globe and Winkleman and then back. Nice ride and about 20 degrees cooler than the valley. I ride a 2015 GSA
Jim

Mileage

Now I have 135,000 kms and so far all is well. The DWS computer quit and was replaced, but otherwise it has been simple maintenance as usual. The valves are still OK but I will move the exhaust valve at next check as they are very near at their lower limit. It has been a reliable and good quality bike, as were the RT and 1150 GS I previously owned. Hope to get 500,000 kms on it.

Expensive

65K miles on a 2014GS and glad I got an extended warranty! Starter motor $600, LED headlight $2000 and in the shop for a stator $2500! :scratch I had a 1987 BMW K100RS motorsport with 65K miles and never a problem!

65K miles on a 2014GS and glad I got an extended warranty! Starter motor $600, LED headlight $2000 and in the shop for a stator $2500! :scratch I had a 1987 BMW K100RS motorsport with 65K miles and never a problem!

Sounds like if they're all mostly covered you won the bet. How did the LED headlight get to $2K? I guess because the bulb itself can't replaced so you pay for the whole assembly perhaps? I"ve heard of this before but never asked, but what does a stator do?

Yeah. The cost of replacing a failed alternator was one of the more minor factors in steering me to a late model camhead.

Sounds like if they're all mostly covered you won the bet. How did the LED headlight get to $2K? I guess because the bulb itself can't replaced so you pay for the whole assembly perhaps? I"ve heard of this before but never asked, but what does a stator do?

The stator is part of the alternator which is mounted INSIDE the engine between the rear of the crankshaft and in front of the gearbox (such as it is). You need to split open the transmission/engine cases to to replace it which means removing the engine. That and the part itself is like $1,500. Not good.

I had no idea the headlight bulb (or emitters or whatever they call LED lights) couldn't be replaced. I would lose my mind if I had to cough up two THOUSAND dollars to repair a headlight!

Great RT

I just turned 82,000 miles on my 2016 RT. Best motorcycle I have ever owned. Purchased new in mid April 2016. Did these mles in 28 months. Goal is 100,000 in 4 years. I did have a drive shaft replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles.

I had no idea the headlight bulb (or emitters or whatever they call LED lights) couldn't be replaced. I would lose my mind if I had to cough up two THOUSAND dollars to repair a headlight!

OMG that makes me feel really good about the H7's in my '16 RT!

That is awful and does start making an extended warranty sound like a good idea. Just the thought of having to pay $2K for a bloody light let alone the dollar loss would leave such a wretched taste in my mouth the warranty might well be worth it! My bike's original is almost over so I only another 700m until it's over but I don't know if anyone offers warranties this far out into the oem warranty.

I looked it up on the MaxBMW site. Unless the '18's went to LED the housing is $1,100 and it takes H7 bulbs.

2015 rt with 172k and problems

At the rally last night I told multiple people how much i loved my rt. Told them i went 166k before the small outer bearing went south on my final drive.I must have jinxed myself because this am before going to the site my driveshaft broke at 172,400 miles.I am disappointed but not crying about it.The shaft on my 06 rt broke at 99,989 miles after getting laid of the day before thanksgiving and having to sit on the shoulder for 2 hours in 28 degree temps.

Back