Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Any high mileage wetheads out there?

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I had no idea the headlight bulb (or emitters or whatever they call LED lights) couldn't be replaced. I would lose my mind if I had to cough up two THOUSAND dollars to repair a headlight!
    OMG that makes me feel really good about the H7's in my '16 RT!

That is awful and does start making an extended warranty sound like a good idea. Just the thought of having to pay $2K for a bloody light let alone the dollar loss would leave such a wretched taste in my mouth the warranty might well be worth it! My bike's original is almost over so I only another 700m until it's over but I don't know if anyone offers warranties this far out into the oem warranty.

I looked it up on the MaxBMW site. Unless the '18's went to LED the housing is $1,100 and it takes H7 bulbs.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

2015 rt with 172k and problems

At the rally last night I told multiple people how much i loved my rt. Told them i went 166k before the small outer bearing went south on my final drive.I must have jinxed myself because this am before going to the site my driveshaft broke at 172,400 miles.I am disappointed but not crying about it.The shaft on my 06 rt broke at 99,989 miles after getting laid of the day before thanksgiving and having to sit on the shoulder for 2 hours in 28 degree temps.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbem View Post
    At the rally last night I told multiple people how much i loved my rt. Told them i went 166k before the small outer bearing went south on my final drive.I must have jinxed myself because this am before going to the site my driveshaft broke at 172,400 miles.I am disappointed but not crying about it.The shaft on my 06 rt broke at 99,989 miles after getting laid of the day before thanksgiving and having to sit on the shoulder for 2 hours in 28 degree temps.
    That's pretty good, 172.4K miles. I've been thinking I'd replace mine at 100K miles just because in some sense it's a consumable and when it goes it's probably a tow job at a minimum, and maybe a crash in the worst case. Either one of those options is going to add cost or worse over just replacing it ad hoc, and saves the inconvenience of a roadside failure or worse. I've read it's possible drive shaft or crown bearing failure could translate into a rear wheel lock up, but I don't know how plausible that really is.

What's the average wethead engine/gearbox/clutch good for? I know I take great care of my '16 RT, ride it respectfully FWIW, so I'm hoping at least 150K miles is quite plausible for the main engine/gearbox/clutch. Likely I won't make it to that many miles at the rate I'm currently riding, but it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    That's pretty good, 172.4K miles. I've been thinking I'd replace mine at 100K miles just because in some sense it's a consumable and when it goes it's probably a tow job at a minimum, and maybe a crash in the worst case. Either one of those options is going to add cost or worse over just replacing it ad hoc, and saves the inconvenience of a roadside failure or worse. I've read it's possible drive shaft or crown bearing failure could translate into a rear wheel lock up, but I don't know how plausible that really is.

What's the average wethead engine/gearbox/clutch good for? I know I take great care of my '16 RT, ride it respectfully FWIW, so I'm hoping at least 150K miles is quite plausible for the main engine/gearbox/clutch. Likely I won't make it to that many miles at the rate I'm currently riding, but it's possible.
    Your motor will last a LONG time.Mine started using alittle oil at about 133k,it now uses about 1/3rd quart every 6k. I am still on the original clutch but it's getting harder to find neutral at a stop. That was a symptom of the clutch going bad on my 2008 K1200gt. Still only adjusted 2 valves but I am going to check them again soon.