• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any high mileage wetheads out there?

Anybody got alot of miles on their wetheads yet?

How has the reliability been for those high milers?

I assume most of those were replacements for older beemers. Do you like your wethead better?

Not a troll, still considering a 2017 r12rt (would want the abs pro). I haven't ridden a new RT yet although I did ride a r1200rs. Naturally I would spend some time on one before I pulled trigger.

(One of my current bikes is a 2000 r1100rt, fwiw)

I've got a '14 RT getting ready to turn 36k and I haven't had an issue yet. Love the bike.

I'm hoping for that kind of reliability on my 400 mile 2016 GS. I had my Harley in the shop 8 times for warranty work in the first 5 months.

My 2015 R1200GSA now has nearly 42K mostly problem-free miles and has been a joy to ride, including 25K on a cross-country tour from Florida to Alaska in 2015.

---- Don

Don't have a ton of miles, but they are adding up. I bought my 2014 R1200RTW just over 9 weeks ago. It was only 1 year old and had only 600 miles on it (the fellow had a leg go bad on him and had to switch to a Can-Am Sypder). His loss was my gain.

I have put 4,800 miles on it over the past 9 weeks all trouble free and very enjoyable miles.

My previous touring bike was a great 2004 R1150RT that I didn't think I'd ever sell but I came across one of those "too good to pass up" deals on a virtually new RTW with 24 months warranty left and simply had to pull the trigger. Extremely happy that I did and now can't imagine needing another new bike again as this one does everything I want it to from mountain and coastal rips to super-slab blasts and laid-back cruising. Can't think of another bike that is as competent in such a broad spectrum of riding - it just works for me. That doesn't mean I'll be getting rid of my vintage bikes, they're a completely different world and experience that I plan on enjoying as long as I'm able to ride. ;-)

My 2014 GSA just turned 47k. Only issue was a flat camshaft r/s intake at 29k last june. Took a while to get the parts as they were in Germany. Other wise all is well and its running very nicely.

bob

Just rolled past 27,000 km on the 15RTW. Moved over from the 05 R1200RT. Don't really have much to complain about, it's been great for commuting, touring. My only downer this year was the rally was only 90 minutes from the house so I need to find other excuses to go places...

15,500 miles on our 2016 R1200RS.

Initially had a water pump leak down the side of the engine and onto the exhaust header. Had to add a bit of distilled H20.

Leak cleared up around 5,000 miles.

Some hard shifting in the first two gears. I reduced the amount of oil down to about 3.8 liters and it has improved some.

The front brake master cylinder was very mushy. After tightening up the master cylinder plunger arm it is some what improved.

No issues otherwise.

And by the way...it goes like stink ;)

my '14 GSA has 58K miles

No troubles to speak of.

Had the left switch bundle replaced early on because it was troublesome in the rain.

All good here...

2015 R1200 GSA Reliability

Like Paul, I replaced the L/H Whiz Wheel because some functions were not reliable. Otherwise, no problems after 45K+ including Key West to Prudhoe Bay (and return) this summer. I did buy an aftermarket extended warranty from a dealer but haven't had to use it, yet.

My current dilemma is that the OEM top case lost one of its rubber spacers while I was breaking it loose and I have not been able to identify a replacement. Does anyone have one available, maybe from a parted out case that they can spare? Here's a picture...There are a total of three, all the same, on the top case.
IMG_20160812_143557317.jpg

Thanks Steve for the reference. Not being able to see one of the referenced parts in the flesh leaves me a little unsure that they would be an exact fit....But, they might be an acceptable substitute if no one can offer a used part. I will ask Rusty at Max's if he can compare the two 'in the flesh' for me.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Update to Rubber Bumper

Rusty pulled one of the bumpers from stock and measured it, confirming that it was the same size as my missing one. It should arrive next week.

The replacement bumper arrived on Friday and is an exact replacement. Its purpose, along with the 2 other bumpers, are to serve as 'feet' when the top case is removed. Thanks to this thread (henzilla), Max Bmw, and Rusty this story is over and it ended with a happy ending.

15 - 1200 GSA - Long Term Reliabilty

I have 70,000 kms on the bike now and so far oil and tires. The valve are all holding and the next service I will check the valve timing, just to make sure. I do all my own maintenance simply because I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. I just switch fro Anekee III to PR4 Trails and they are wearing a lot more even, less cupping on the from and flattening of the rear. I have 13,000 kms on them and have more tire left yet, so far I am pleased.

I'm not a fan of the clutch function, mine like most does not release well after the oil heats up and foams up a bit. I'm now only putting 3.5 liter's in at oils changes in stead of the spec 4.0, to partially relieve this issue. This engine does not use oil so not an issue.

Otherwise normal maintenance checks and that's it. I would recommend this bike to any long distance riders.

Back