• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Any high mileage wetheads out there?

2015 rt

Purchased mine used with 2700 miles on it in 2017. Just went over 53k and no issues other than on my fourth H7 bulb (I now keep one in my tank bag) and I am on my 3rd battery. I do all the maintenance myself and find the boxer super easy to work on. At 40k I put Wilbers shocks in it and would very much recommend big improvement over stock suspension.

Forty-five thousand miles on my 2014 RT. The stator failed but was under warranty. The only thing that saved me was the warranty was extended following the 2014 do not ride recall involving the shock. If the stator failed the following week it would have been out of warranty! Also, just replaced the tire pressure sensor monitors. The batteries in the sensors were failing and would usually not connect until after several miles on the highway and the tires had a chance to warm up. Otherwise, this has been a solid bike.

Forty-five thousand miles on my 2014 RT. The stator failed but was under warranty. The only thing that saved me was the warranty was extended following the 2014 do not ride recall involving the shock. If the stator failed the following week it would have been out of warranty! Also, just replaced the tire pressure sensor monitors. The batteries in the sensors were failing and would usually not connect until after several miles on the highway and the tires had a chance to warm up. Otherwise, this has been a solid bike.

My rear TPMS is starting to fail. Did you use the BMW sensors? My dealer wants $219 for the rear. Does anyone have any experience using the chinese knockoffs they sell on eBay? I found one there for $20 bucks. Plan on replacing next tire change.

My rear TPMS is starting to fail. Did you use the BMW sensors? My dealer wants $219 for the rear. Does anyone have any experience using the chinese knockoffs they sell on eBay? I found one there for $20 bucks. Plan on replacing next tire change.

I've haven't had the best luck with them. Been through 2 sets, the best lasted a year others a week. I just installed the BMW OEM sensors.

Do you actually rely on these to tell you when to air up your tires, or do you do your own frequent checks? If your rely on them, then I don't think I would be comfortable using a $20 knock-off. If you don't use them, then they don't matter anyway. Just sayin' :brow

Do you actually rely on these to tell you when to air up your tires, or do you do your own frequent checks? If your rely on them, then I don't think I would be comfortable using a $20 knock-off. If you don't use them, then they don't matter anyway. Just sayin' :brow

I don't use them I am pretty anal about tire pressure. This is the first bike ever owned with TPMS. Its a nice feature when working properly. The need to replace is because I can't stand the warning light constantly going off.

I don't use them I am pretty anal about tire pressure. This is the first bike ever owned with TPMS. Its a nice feature when working properly. The need to replace is because I can't stand the warning light constantly going off.

You sound like me - I check my tire pressures very frequently, so I would probably go with the least expensive way to make the warning light go away.

I got to ask, what do you guys consider high miles?

I see a few posts of under 50,000 miles. IMO, that is not high miles. IMO, 75,000 and up would be high miles. Heck, I have been riding Harleys for 15 years and traded with over 60,000 miles on them.

You sound like me - I check my tire pressures very frequently, so I would probably go with the least expensive way to make the warning light go away.

Thanks Greg I appreciate the advice. Checking the pressure frequently gives me peace of mind and I feel I get better longevity out of my tires. Always 10k plus I have been running PR4GT''s making the switch to Road 5 GT and new TPMS next tire change.

Tpms

I used the BMW tire pressure monitors. They were expensive but if I get another 5-6 years out of them it'll be worth it. I always check my air pressure. I have an air compressor in the garage and always make sure my tires are at the correct pressure. I look at the tire pressure sensors as a safety feature. If a tire starts to loose pressure hopefully I'll get a warning before I'd notice it and be able to get off the road earlier.

I used the BMW tire pressure monitors. They were expensive but if I get another 5-6 years out of them it'll be worth it. I always check my air pressure. I have an air compressor in the garage and always make sure my tires are at the correct pressure. I look at the tire pressure sensors as a safety feature. If a tire starts to loose pressure hopefully I'll get a warning before I'd notice it and be able to get off the road earlier.

Exact same methodology regarding TPMS on my 2016RT. Had a nail in my rear tire and yes; I did get a TPMS caution followed by a warning, followed by a mushy, sensation and difficulty steering. Was able to steer to the side of the road and await pick up from the dealership. Note: getting the side stand down with a flat rear tire is challenging.

I noticed your member number, looks like you joined days before I did in September of 2008.

Thanks for the TPMS advice guys. Based on that I will suck it up and purchase the OEM sensors. If I get another 5 years out of them I am happy. Wish you could just replace the battery.

I got to ask, what do you guys consider high miles?

I see a few posts of under 50,000 miles. IMO, that is not high miles. IMO, 75,000 and up would be high miles. Heck, I have been riding Harleys for 15 years and traded with over 60,000 miles on them.
Agree at least 75,000 miles and up. Been riding beemers since 1995 and had a few that were up there. Keep putting on the miles.

Rich Henrion now has over 118K on his 2016 R1200RT. He is going for 200K before the end of 2021.

See page 2.

Attachments

• henrion 100k.jpg
    henrion 100k.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Rich Henrion now has over 118K on his 2016 R1200RT. He is going for 200K before the end of 2021.

See page 2.

Nice post, I also consider high miles more than 100,000. On all of the vehicles my wife and I own we generally get over 200,000 miles on them before we replace them. One can do that if they are maintained well both cars, trucks and motorcycles. I will add doing maintenance is cheaper than starting over with a new vehicle. By doing this I figure we have bought half as many cars as we otherwise would have. The other thing is it makes cost of ownership less as one typically uses all of the value of the vehicle over a longer time period and never sees the depreciation loss from the new vehicle. Most folks seem to try and trade every few years, I am guessing average is about 5 years so they are buying a new vehicle about 3 times as often as I am.:wave

Nice post, I also consider high miles more than 100,000. On all of the vehicles my wife and I own we generally get over 200,000 miles on them before we replace them. One can do that if they are maintained well both cars, trucks and motorcycles. I will add doing maintenance is cheaper than starting over with a new vehicle. By doing this I figure we have bought half as many cars as we otherwise would have. The other thing is it makes cost of ownership less as one typically uses all of the value of the vehicle over a longer time period and never sees the depreciation loss from the new vehicle. Most folks seem to try and trade every few years, I am guessing average is about 5 years so they are buying a new vehicle about 3 times as often as I am.:wave

My 2016 RT that I bought new is fabulous and I plan to keep it no matter what the cost of the odd big repair is--it still comes out better than buying new every 4y or what have you. And the difference between my '16 and a new 1250 is certainly meaningful, but the '16 is already so good it's just not worth it to me. Cost/mile at 120K miles of operation for me comes out at about $0.38/mile which includes insurance, all routine maintenance, tires, fuel, and TPMS sensors every 4y, depreciation and two higher end repairs of $3500 each. If you change that to buying a new one every say 4y, the cost per miles comes in a around $0.42/mile and that is without any high end repairs. And that price assumes you sold the bike at retail price at 4y/o, versus a trade in which will be worse.

My 2016 RT that I bought new is fabulous and I plan to keep it no matter what the cost of the odd big repair is--it still comes out better than buying new every 4y or what have you. And the difference between my '16 and a new 1250 is certainly meaningful, but the '16 is already so good it's just not worth it to me. Cost/mile at 120K miles of operation for me comes out at about $0.38/mile which includes insurance, all routine maintenance, tires, fuel, and TPMS sensors every 4y, depreciation and two higher end repairs of $3500 each. If you change that to buying a new one every say 4y, the cost per miles comes in a around $0.42/mile and that is without any high end repairs. And that price assumes you sold the bike at retail price at 4y/o, versus a trade in which will be worse.

The had an offer for an extended warranty that is 5 years and starts after the 3 yr warranty expires from the factory. So if I can stay under the 12,000 per year of the original it will cover me for 8 years. If I hit the 36000 mile limit before the three years it will start sooner. I bought the warranty so I am thinking I should not need to be worried about failures not covered by a warranty that are big ticket items. I bought a similar warranty on my last two gold wings and each one had a failure that paid for the warranty and then some. If you put on miles and use the bike as primary transportation it is a good deal to buy an extended warranty. If on the other hand your bike is low mileage and normally a infrequently used pleasure vehicle it might not be a great deal for you.:D:thumb

If you put on miles and use the bike as primary transportation it is a good deal to buy an extended warranty. If on the other hand your bike is low mileage and normally a infrequently used pleasure vehicle it might not be a great deal for you.:D:thumb

I agree the longer you keep the bike and put ample miles on it it starts being worthwhile to purchase an extended warranty. But again, there are so many costs associated w/ ownership even the odd big ticket item isn't that big a deal. Just total up the cost of everything mentioned in my post and even 2x $3,500 as bigger ticket items only represents 15% of the total cost of operation over 12y, which is about what I hope to get out of this RTW. I am definitely riding less miles/year as I age as well. If I paid for extended warranties over 9y of that 12y and did not have to pay for those two $3500 repairs now the cost of those repairs represents only 6% of the total cost of ownership since we coughed up $2500 for 9y worth of extended warranty coverage. And then there are repairs that will not be covered under some extended warranties when they define, for example, shocks as 'consumable' items, like tires, etc. And if we don't happen to have $7K worth of big ticket items by the time we get to 120K miles or 12y, now the total cost of operation goes down to $0.32/mile versus around $0.42/mile when you sell and buy new every 4y or so.

extended warranty

Like Paul, I replaced the L/H Whiz Wheel because some functions were not reliable. Otherwise, no problems after 45K+ including Key West to Prudhoe Bay (and return) this summer. I did buy an aftermarket extended warranty from a dealer but haven't had to use it, yet.

My current dilemma is that the OEM top case lost one of its rubber spacers while I was breaking it loose and I have not been able to identify a replacement. Does anyone have one available, maybe from a parted out case that they can spare? Here's a picture...There are a total of three, all the same, on the top case.
View attachment 57953

Chuck, did you ever have need to use the extended warranty? Would you recommend the company? I'm leaning towards not purchasing this for my 17 GSA...
Thanks.....Craig

Back