Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Any high mileage wetheads out there?

High Mileage GS

Mine has over 100,000 kms on it and so far the only issue I had was the DWS computer quit in me in California last year. Otherwise fresh oil and tires. I do my own maintenance so I keep ahead of most issues with lots of driving, like I just changed the front when bearings, they were fine but! Nice bike, will keep for another several 100,000 kms I think.
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC

86,000 miles in 27 months. Zero problems.

The idea of replacing tires because they age out is simply hilarious to me. Seven fronts, 11 rears, 2 sets of front brakes, 3 rears, and just replaced rotors F&R (ouch!). UOA shows good, no wear.

Correction: my front TPMS died. It's been sketchy about connecting the last month or so and today the alert on my Nav V told me it was reporting over 74 psi.
    Last edited by wbrownell9; 04-14-2018 at 02:47 AM.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

124,500 mile 2015 rtw

I checked my valve clearances for the first time without a knowledgeable person helping. I did have a Harley riding friend here to help with my confidence level. I did the procedure once before with Lee Farling so had a pretty good idea of what i was doing. So,all the valves were still in spec except the 2 exhaust valves on the left side were at .41,right at the edge of being in spec. I changed the shims on those valves and put them at.37.The procedure was not very difficult. The only small problem i had was getting the cam block off. I am installing new wheel bearings next week.The original ones are still ok but am going west to do the 100k Rally and want the piece of mind .

High mileage wethead?

2015 GSA, 73,000 miles, zero issues. Regular maintenance, rear brakes and tires. The absolute BEST motorcycle I have owned in 55 years of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by 20317 View Post
    I purchased a 2016 R1200 RT in April 2016 from Tytlers in DePere Wisconsin. I currently have 53,300 miles on it. Love this motorcycle. I did experience a drive shaft failure at 29,000 miles. I was without the motorcycle from May 2 to June 4 2017. I was in Florida attempting an Iron Butt 50 CC. That ride is Coast to Coast in under 50 hours. The repair was covered completely by BMW under warranty including some trip interruption reimbursement. After a little research, I found out this is not totally uncommon.
    Interesting, this is only the 2nd report I've read now of anything involving any part of the final drive in wethead RTs. The first is rhaines' report of a failed front u-joint at 73K miles. What exactly failed in the final drive assembly? The drive shaft itself? Splines? Also, the 'is not totally uncommon', elaborate if you can by recollection of what sorts of failures occurred that you can recall. I've read some stories of pre-wethead models.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Interesting, this is only the 2nd report I've read now of anything involving any part of the final drive in wethead RTs. The first is rhaines' report of a failed front u-joint at 73K miles. What exactly failed in the final drive assembly? The drive shaft itself? Splines? Also, the 'is not totally uncommon', elaborate if you can by recollection of what sorts of failures occurred that you can recall. I've read some stories of pre-wethead models.
    IMO he is not saying these failures are not totally uncommon but rather the trip interruption expenses may be absorbed by the company is not totally uncommon.
    '16 RT in Marino Blue

Quote Originally Posted by texrt1 View Post
    IMO he is not saying these failures are not totally uncommon but rather the trip interruption expenses may be absorbed by the company is not totally uncommon.
    I think yer right! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by advenbob View Post
    My 2014 GSA just turned 47k. Only issue was a flat camshaft r/s intake at 29k last june. Took a while to get the parts as they were in Germany. Other wise all is well and its running very nicely.

bob
    Hi Bob
    I live in Chandler and if your ever interested in hooking up for a ride that would be great. I take rides out to Globe and Winkleman and then back. Nice ride and about 20 degrees cooler than the valley. I ride a 2015 GSA
    Jim

Mileage

Now I have 135,000 kms and so far all is well. The DWS computer quit and was replaced, but otherwise it has been simple maintenance as usual. The valves are still OK but I will move the exhaust valve at next check as they are very near at their lower limit. It has been a reliable and good quality bike, as were the RT and 1150 GS I previously owned. Hope to get 500,000 kms on it.
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC

Expensive

65K miles on a 2014GS and glad I got an extended warranty! Starter motor $600, LED headlight $2000 and in the shop for a stator $2500! I had a 1987 BMW K100RS motorsport with 65K miles and never a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
    65K miles on a 2014GS and glad I got an extended warranty! Starter motor $600, LED headlight $2000 and in the shop for a stator $2500! I had a 1987 BMW K100RS motorsport with 65K miles and never a problem!
    Sounds like if they're all mostly covered you won the bet. How did the LED headlight get to $2K? I guess because the bulb itself can't replaced so you pay for the whole assembly perhaps? I"ve heard of this before but never asked, but what does a stator do?

Yeah. The cost of replacing a failed alternator was one of the more minor factors in steering me to a late model camhead.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Sounds like if they're all mostly covered you won the bet. How did the LED headlight get to $2K? I guess because the bulb itself can't replaced so you pay for the whole assembly perhaps? I"ve heard of this before but never asked, but what does a stator do?
    The stator is part of the alternator which is mounted INSIDE the engine between the rear of the crankshaft and in front of the gearbox (such as it is). You need to split open the transmission/engine cases to to replace it which means removing the engine. That and the part itself is like $1,500. Not good.

I had no idea the headlight bulb (or emitters or whatever they call LED lights) couldn't be replaced. I would lose my mind if I had to cough up two THOUSAND dollars to repair a headlight!
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Great RT

I just turned 82,000 miles on my 2016 RT. Best motorcycle I have ever owned. Purchased new in mid April 2016. Did these mles in 28 months. Goal is 100,000 in 4 years. I did have a drive shaft replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 20317 View Post
    I just turned 82,000 miles on my 2016 RT. Best motorcycle I have ever owned. Purchased new in mid April 2016. Did these mles in 28 months. Goal is 100,000 in 4 years. I did have a drive shaft replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles.
    what failed on the drive shaft? Was it the U joints or splines or what? Curious as 29K sounds early for a drive shaft.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW