Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Any high mileage wetheads out there?

Quote Originally Posted by jseven View Post
    I don't use them I am pretty anal about tire pressure. This is the first bike ever owned with TPMS. Its a nice feature when working properly. The need to replace is because I can't stand the warning light constantly going off.
    You sound like me - I check my tire pressures very frequently, so I would probably go with the least expensive way to make the warning light go away.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I got to ask, what do you guys consider high miles?

I see a few posts of under 50,000 miles. IMO, that is not high miles. IMO, 75,000 and up would be high miles. Heck, I have been riding Harleys for 15 years and traded with over 60,000 miles on them.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    You sound like me - I check my tire pressures very frequently, so I would probably go with the least expensive way to make the warning light go away.
    Thanks Greg I appreciate the advice. Checking the pressure frequently gives me peace of mind and I feel I get better longevity out of my tires. Always 10k plus I have been running PR4GT''s making the switch to Road 5 GT and new TPMS next tire change.

Tpms

I used the BMW tire pressure monitors. They were expensive but if I get another 5-6 years out of them it'll be worth it. I always check my air pressure. I have an air compressor in the garage and always make sure my tires are at the correct pressure. I look at the tire pressure sensors as a safety feature. If a tire starts to loose pressure hopefully I'll get a warning before I'd notice it and be able to get off the road earlier.
    Bob, MOA#143234
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_h View Post
    I used the BMW tire pressure monitors. They were expensive but if I get another 5-6 years out of them it'll be worth it. I always check my air pressure. I have an air compressor in the garage and always make sure my tires are at the correct pressure. I look at the tire pressure sensors as a safety feature. If a tire starts to loose pressure hopefully I'll get a warning before I'd notice it and be able to get off the road earlier.
    Exact same methodology regarding TPMS on my 2016RT. Had a nail in my rear tire and yes; I did get a TPMS caution followed by a warning, followed by a mushy, sensation and difficulty steering. Was able to steer to the side of the road and await pick up from the dealership. Note: getting the side stand down with a flat rear tire is challenging.

I noticed your member number, looks like you joined days before I did in September of 2008.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Thanks for the TPMS advice guys. Based on that I will suck it up and purchase the OEM sensors. If I get another 5 years out of them I am happy. Wish you could just replace the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I got to ask, what do you guys consider high miles?

I see a few posts of under 50,000 miles. IMO, that is not high miles. IMO, 75,000 and up would be high miles. Heck, I have been riding Harleys for 15 years and traded with over 60,000 miles on them.
    Agree at least 75,000 miles and up. Been riding beemers since 1995 and had a few that were up there. Keep putting on the miles.

Rich Henrion now has over 118K on his 2016 R1200RT. He is going for 200K before the end of 2021.

See page 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmwdean; 06-10-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Rich Henrion now has over 118K on his 2016 R1200RT. He is going for 200K before the end of 2021.

See page 2.
    Nice post, I also consider high miles more than 100,000. On all of the vehicles my wife and I own we generally get over 200,000 miles on them before we replace them. One can do that if they are maintained well both cars, trucks and motorcycles. I will add doing maintenance is cheaper than starting over with a new vehicle. By doing this I figure we have bought half as many cars as we otherwise would have. The other thing is it makes cost of ownership less as one typically uses all of the value of the vehicle over a longer time period and never sees the depreciation loss from the new vehicle. Most folks seem to try and trade every few years, I am guessing average is about 5 years so they are buying a new vehicle about 3 times as often as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by fog820 View Post
    Nice post, I also consider high miles more than 100,000. On all of the vehicles my wife and I own we generally get over 200,000 miles on them before we replace them. One can do that if they are maintained well both cars, trucks and motorcycles. I will add doing maintenance is cheaper than starting over with a new vehicle. By doing this I figure we have bought half as many cars as we otherwise would have. The other thing is it makes cost of ownership less as one typically uses all of the value of the vehicle over a longer time period and never sees the depreciation loss from the new vehicle. Most folks seem to try and trade every few years, I am guessing average is about 5 years so they are buying a new vehicle about 3 times as often as I am.
    My 2016 RT that I bought new is fabulous and I plan to keep it no matter what the cost of the odd big repair is--it still comes out better than buying new every 4y or what have you. And the difference between my '16 and a new 1250 is certainly meaningful, but the '16 is already so good it's just not worth it to me. Cost/mile at 120K miles of operation for me comes out at about $0.38/mile which includes insurance, all routine maintenance, tires, fuel, and TPMS sensors every 4y, depreciation and two higher end repairs of $3500 each. If you change that to buying a new one every say 4y, the cost per miles comes in a around $0.42/mile and that is without any high end repairs. And that price assumes you sold the bike at retail price at 4y/o, versus a trade in which will be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    My 2016 RT that I bought new is fabulous and I plan to keep it no matter what the cost of the odd big repair is--it still comes out better than buying new every 4y or what have you. And the difference between my '16 and a new 1250 is certainly meaningful, but the '16 is already so good it's just not worth it to me. Cost/mile at 120K miles of operation for me comes out at about $0.38/mile which includes insurance, all routine maintenance, tires, fuel, and TPMS sensors every 4y, depreciation and two higher end repairs of $3500 each. If you change that to buying a new one every say 4y, the cost per miles comes in a around $0.42/mile and that is without any high end repairs. And that price assumes you sold the bike at retail price at 4y/o, versus a trade in which will be worse.
    The had an offer for an extended warranty that is 5 years and starts after the 3 yr warranty expires from the factory. So if I can stay under the 12,000 per year of the original it will cover me for 8 years. If I hit the 36000 mile limit before the three years it will start sooner. I bought the warranty so I am thinking I should not need to be worried about failures not covered by a warranty that are big ticket items. I bought a similar warranty on my last two gold wings and each one had a failure that paid for the warranty and then some. If you put on miles and use the bike as primary transportation it is a good deal to buy an extended warranty. If on the other hand your bike is low mileage and normally a infrequently used pleasure vehicle it might not be a great deal for you.

Quote Originally Posted by fog820 View Post
    If you put on miles and use the bike as primary transportation it is a good deal to buy an extended warranty. If on the other hand your bike is low mileage and normally a infrequently used pleasure vehicle it might not be a great deal for you.
    I agree the longer you keep the bike and put ample miles on it it starts being worthwhile to purchase an extended warranty. But again, there are so many costs associated w/ ownership even the odd big ticket item isn't that big a deal. Just total up the cost of everything mentioned in my post and even 2x $3,500 as bigger ticket items only represents 15% of the total cost of operation over 12y, which is about what I hope to get out of this RTW. I am definitely riding less miles/year as I age as well. If I paid for extended warranties over 9y of that 12y and did not have to pay for those two $3500 repairs now the cost of those repairs represents only 6% of the total cost of ownership since we coughed up $2500 for 9y worth of extended warranty coverage. And then there are repairs that will not be covered under some extended warranties when they define, for example, shocks as 'consumable' items, like tires, etc. And if we don't happen to have $7K worth of big ticket items by the time we get to 120K miles or 12y, now the total cost of operation goes down to $0.32/mile versus around $0.42/mile when you sell and buy new every 4y or so.

extended warranty

Quote Originally Posted by cberry View Post
    Like Paul, I replaced the L/H Whiz Wheel because some functions were not reliable. Otherwise, no problems after 45K+ including Key West to Prudhoe Bay (and return) this summer. I did buy an aftermarket extended warranty from a dealer but haven't had to use it, yet.

My current dilemma is that the OEM top case lost one of its rubber spacers while I was breaking it loose and I have not been able to identify a replacement. Does anyone have one available, maybe from a parted out case that they can spare? Here's a picture...There are a total of three, all the same, on the top case.
    Attachment 57953
    Chuck, did you ever have need to use the extended warranty? Would you recommend the company? I'm leaning towards not purchasing this for my 17 GSA...
    Thanks.....Craig

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I agree the longer you keep the bike and put ample miles on it it starts being worthwhile to purchase an extended warranty. But again, there are so many costs associated w/ ownership even the odd big ticket item isn't that big a deal. Just total up the cost of everything mentioned in my post and even 2x $3,500 as bigger ticket items only represents 15% of the total cost of operation over 12y, which is about what I hope to get out of this RTW. I am definitely riding less miles/year as I age as well. If I paid for extended warranties over 9y of that 12y and did not have to pay for those two $3500 repairs now the cost of those repairs represents only 6% of the total cost of ownership since we coughed up $2500 for 9y worth of extended warranty coverage. And then there are repairs that will not be covered under some extended warranties when they define, for example, shocks as 'consumable' items, like tires, etc. And if we don't happen to have $7K worth of big ticket items by the time we get to 120K miles or 12y, now the total cost of operation goes down to $0.32/mile versus around $0.42/mile when you sell and buy new every 4y or so.
    Here is how I look at the value of an extended warranty, cost of warranty v cost of repairs covered by the warranty. You had 2 3500 repairs that might have been covered by the warranty that is 7000 - in your case 2500 for warranty means you would have been 4500 richer over the period of the warranty.

In my case the warranty was I think 1250.00. Is it likely that I will have a covered repair greater than that amount over the life of the warranty, I will say yes so it is a good deal for me. Also the warranty has unlimited mileage when it kicks in, the average mileage on the last several vehicles I owned was over 200,000 miles, two of the vehicles were motorcycles. In each of the cases that I bought an extended warranty on a vehicle it has paid off for me. I suspect the reason is keeping the vehicle long enough to amass significant miles. In many cases an alternator, suspension component, or drive train issue like drive shaft or rear end will need replaced and be covered by the warranty. Often those components are expensive to repair and are more than the cost of the warranty.

For me it makes sense financially to spend the money. I also do not trade every 4 years but more like 8 to 12 years.

So glad to keep hearing stories of high miles. I added a 2015 to my small stable last year to help me keep riding in my senior years. Gotta say had I read some of what I have read since I bought it I would have steered clear. I love this bike but some of the reliability issues I have read or watched videos in are nithing short of terrifying. One recently by a fella going by Vehicle Hunter is very very scathing attack on BMW, he has more than one video. This is one,

https://youtu.be/gr4oc2aDyBE

I did notice he claims to have owned all or most of the vehicles on his list I think which makes him either very rich or very old. Leaves me windering if this Hinda Rebel rider's wife ran off with an RT rider. That said I only paid 7400 US Dolla for mine with 35K on it, now over 40K. and it had just about all the bells and whistles. Also came with $1500 dollars worth of Helmets in the top case. I love it just love it and hope to join the 100,000 plus club on it. I have added, NAV6 Ilium crash bars front and rear, werks quiet ride, bar risers, Old Timer Nav6 lock and will look to add the RDL seat soon. That will be it, other than perhaps paint to match the topcase. Happy riding.