Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Sena 20S

  1. #1
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,231

    Sena 20S

    I'm considering a Sena 20S.

    I just got a reply back from the Sena Support Team stating the battery is not replaceable.

    So I take it if battery capacity after numerous charges drops by enough that talk time is way down, I am just supposed to throw away an expensive item?

    Our throw-away society is not my style. Has anyone opened one up yet?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hiawassee, GA
    Posts
    277

    Sena 20S

    I've had the Sena 20s for a long time and use it for hours before recharging. I've not noticed any drop off of battery life.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

  3. #3
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,669
    I suspect the 20S is too new for battery life to be a problem. After four years I cannot detect any loss of battery life on my SMH10. A single charge is still enough for 12 hour day, and I can charge it while in use if that ever becomes necessary.

    Many devices with "unreplaceable" batteries can have the batteries replaced, but it may require more effort than simply popping a cover and swapping batteries. The Iphone, Ipad, and most tablets and GPS units come to mind, but even these can have new batteries installed. It may require special tools and possibly soldering skills, but it can be done.

    If you rule out devices on the basis of a "unreplaceable" battery, you will find that you have few options left.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  4. #4
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,231
    Quote Originally Posted by elgin mary View Post
    I've had the Sena 20s for a long time and use it for hours before recharging. I've not noticed any drop off of battery life.
    How long have you had it? I take it if I'm mostly using it to connect to my GPS and cell phone, battery time between charges should even be longer.

    I look at things long term. My last cell phone was 9 years old (only needed it to make calls) and all I did was replace the battery once. My reason for asking Sena about that.

  5. #5
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,231
    Thanks Larry. Points taken.

    Same for my Garmin 40 LM. Battery had little to no capacity when new. The capacity dropped off after maybe 15 charges so it was definitely a defective battery having worked with batteries in a lab a lot.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    738
    The Sena 10R has a separate battery, which can be replaced.

    Chris

  7. #7
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,102
    Hi Alex, I don't have the 20S but have used my SMH10 for several years now without it ever running out of juice during a full day of riding unless it hadn't been fully charged before heading out. I don't listen to music or the radio when I ride (my preference) so it is GPS, Phone and Intercom. I did one ride in New England when the unit was quite new where we had the intercom open the entire day plus I was doing some 2-way radio conversation and continuous GPS without it dying. It was very low but still had charge.

    I have also used it for two days in a row without recharging, but that was just using GPS and phone with only a bit of intercom use. Typically, if I'm doing a 2-3+ day ride I'll simply plug it in at night along with my cell phone and have never had an issue.

    With the 20S if you're listening to music than I'm not sure what the real-life battery life would be, but others here should be able to identify that. As has been mentioned, if that were to become an issue then unlike many other brands, the Sena can be used while being recharged. On my last trip (8 days) I took along a small battery pack and cable just in case there was an issue with my Sena or cell phone. The Sena never needed it, but my cell phone did once.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  8. #8
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,231
    Thanks Chris and Alan,

    As long as I can get about 5 years of life out of a unit, I'd be happy. Plus I can use one of those Lithium battery packs now available. They are small enough to 3M Dual-Lock to the back of a helmet.

    Sena seems very optimistic with their claimed 13 hour talk time. Mind you, that purpose would be a distant last since I do not want someone yapping in my ear all day long.

    I think it'll be the Sena 20S.

  9. #9
    Live it, or live with it
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    AZ, USA
    Posts
    191
    The 20S can be charged while in use either with the supplemental battery pack Sena has available, or connection to a USB power outlet. I've never gotten more than 10 hours, and as little as 6 hours, from my 20S so some kind of recharge is necessary. A replaceable battery would be my preferred option for a 'wireless' comm system.
    Motor On '/,

  10. #10
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    ...I can use one of those Lithium battery packs now available. They are small enough to 3M Dual-Lock to the back of a helmet...
    I use a very small one like this:
    Name:  41vFbwsqccL.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  18.2 KB
    Rather than run the risk of losing the battery-pack you can also simply place it in the breast pocket of your jacket and connect it to the Sena directly, I'm sure both methods will provide good results.
    [URL="https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Lipstick-Sized-Generation-High-Quality/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GXEJ69800KPR4AE64FX0[/URL]

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    ...Sena seems very optimistic with their claimed 13 hour talk time. Mind you, that purpose would be a distant last since I do not want someone yapping in my ear all day long.
    That is overly optimistic as is their clams for usable range. Real-world figures seem to be more like 50-75% of what they claim for battery life and range. Definitely 50% if you're talking continuously. Not my preference but some people like to talk constantly. ;-)
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  11. #11
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,231
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    I use a very small one like this:
    Name:  41vFbwsqccL.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  18.2 KB
    I have one that size but it is square in cross section.


    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    That is overly optimistic as is their clams for usable range. Real-world figures seem to be more like 50-75% of what they claim for battery life and range. Definitely 50% if you're talking continuously. Not my preference but some people like to talk constantly. ;-)
    Last month while I was touring the Alps, one of the hotels I stayed at had a recent Tourenfahrer magazine that had a bunch of intercoms evaluated. Their results were similar. Manufacturer claims are optimistic.

  12. #12
    Alex, I have a 20s and it has worked flawlessly for now over a year and about 10,000 miles, including a 16-day trip from Virginia to Colorado/Utah/Arizona and back in June. The battery lasts all day, syncs flawlessly with my buddy's Sena 10s, my iPhone, and my Zumo 660. The battery's life has not diminished at all from what I can tell. I only charge it when it runs low or runs out. I did charge each evening during the aforementioned trip, but I assumed the battery was running low anyway. Like any rechargeable battery, I do not keep it on a charger.

    My buddy's 10s acted up on our trip. It would indicate it was fully charged and then die immediately once booted up. Luckily he was able to hardwire it to his RT through the Powerlet port and it worked flawlessly. My 20s has had no issues whatsoever.
    -Tim
    2009 R1200RT
    (former Winger)
    www.FaithOnTheRoadAgain.com

  13. #13
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,231
    An update to my Sena 10R ownership.

    My product evaluation: I'm not at all impressed with the audio volume which is all the way at its maximum and above 80 kph (50 mph) is next to useless. And this with wearing a Shoei Neotec helmet that is quite enclosed and quiet. Actually, there is no such thing as a quiet helmet or you would not need earplugs which I use. I tried Etymotic ER20XS Motorsports ear plugs and they were useless at solving the problem. So my other option is to use ear bud speakers...not what I had in mind with this system and I do not want to be that wired.

    It is unfortunate that product evaluation by people and on forums are worthless. Interesting that prior to buying the unit and asking people that had one, they all said it worked great. Now that I have one and asked them about the audio volume issue, they admit to it. Knowing that now, I would not have bought ANY communication system.

    I performed all the recommendations that Sena provided (Factory Reset) and tried the Advance Noise Control feature. They had no effect. And I am not about to glue the 20S speakers that come with the 10R to my ears.

    I think I'll contact Sena and have them take the unit back or have them have the local dealer take the unit back. I have better things to do with almost $300.
    Last edited by GlobalRider; 02-11-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo

  14. #14
    Registered User BMARC153920's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    An update to my Sena 10R ownership.

    My product evaluation: I'm not at all impressed with the audio volume which is all the way at its maximum and above 80 kph (50 mph) is next to useless. And this with wearing a Shoei Neotec helmet that is quite enclosed and quiet. Actually, there is no such thing as a quiet helmet or you would not need earplugs which I use. I tried Etymotic ER20XS Motorsports ear plugs and they were useless at solving the problem. So my other option is to use ear bud speakers...not what I had in mind with this system and I do not want to be that wired.

    It is unfortunate that product evaluation by people and on forums are worthless. Interesting that prior to buying the unit and asking people that had one, they all said it worked great. Now that I have one and asked them about the audio volume issue, they admit to it. Knowing that now, I would not have bought ANY communication system.

    I performed all the recommendations that Sena provided (Factory Reset) and tried the Advance Noise Control feature. They had no effect. And I am not about to glue the 20S speakers that come with the 10R to my ears.

    I think I'll contact Sena and have them take the unit back or have them have the local dealer take the unit back. I have better things to do with almost $300.
    So all the product evaluations by others, except yours are worthless? Mighty bold statement, especially to someone like me who also has a neotec using an older Sena smh10 unit and can hear fine well over 90 mph.

    Is it perfect and audiophile quality, not even close however factors such as wind noise (no matter how quiet the helmet, different bikes, windscreens and rider height all make huge difference), speaker placement (the most important factor when it comes to Sena sound quality, a few mm make a huge difference) and type of ear plugs used all combine to make ones experience better or worse.

    And the above doesn't take into account ones own hearing ability and expectations.

    Worthless, I think not, for many, the Sena is great, for some, it is acceptable and for a minority it doesn't work for them. But in all, no one's review is worthless all have value.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    So all the product evaluations by others, except yours are worthless? Mighty bold statement, especially to someone like me who also has a neotec using an older Sena smh10 unit and can hear fine well over 90 mph.

    Is it perfect and audiophile quality, not even close however factors such as wind noise (no matter how quiet the helmet, different bikes, windscreens and rider height all make huge difference), speaker placement (the most important factor when it comes to Sena sound quality, a few mm make a huge difference) and type of ear plugs used all combine to make ones experience better or worse.

    And the above doesn't take into account ones own hearing ability and expectations.

    Worthless, I think not, for many, the Sena is great, for some, it is acceptable and for a minority it doesn't work for them. But in all, no one's review is worthless all have value.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I agree that it was a pretty horrible statement to make, and in my experience, not at all true. I appreciate it when someone takes the time to give an honest review of a product. Some times I know they can tend to be a bit optimistic because after spending good money folks want to believe what they bought is good. I find that most people are pretty honest in their reviews though, and I appreciate it when they give an idea how long they've been using the product. Taken in aggregate, I think reviews in forums and other places online can help consumers make an informed decision.

    I have a pair of 20s's and have been happy with their performance. I enjoy not being tethered. Volume has been sufficient in my Shoei full face helmet. It pairs quickly on it's own every time I turn on my Garmin 665. When I choose to have my phone paired to the Zumo as well the functions all work like they are supposed to. I can hear calls well and folks on the other end of the conversation can hear me and have often been surprised when I tell them I am on a bike. I have found battery life to be 8-10 hours. I have a small charger pack that I often use to top off the charge at a lunch stop, or I can put it in the waterproof pocket of my jacket and charge while using the 20s.

    Like a lot of technology, future releases may offer some improvements. As it is, I am well satisfied with the performance of the 20s. I have been using them for about two years now. I also appreciate those of you that take the time to write honest reviews and opinions. Hopefully if we happen to disagree with someone's opinion we can offer our own opinion without insulting or discounting the experiences or opinions of others. It's always possible that someone get's a lesser unit with some type of problem that could affect their experience.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •