Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conspicuity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RK Ryder

Conspicuity

Got a conspicuity question for everyone. I ride a black K100RT with a Givi Black top box. I am about to order a new riding jacket and I realize that brighter colours make us more easily seen. However I am told by the manufacturer that the brighter colours tend to fade after three years or so. Most of my jacket is blocked from the rear by the Givi box and the front is hidden by the faring. I do ride with additional lights on the front and plan on having the top box brake light activated this spring. Is the brighter colour really the route to go. Would a black jacket really be that bad of an idea? Be honest.

I should add that when I ride the slab, I do wear a green safety vest. My top box and the paniers all have black refective tape that shines a brilliant silver/white at night.

Paul
    Last edited by 119204; 12-14-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Go with a high vis color or a black jacket with a vision vest,also a white full face helmet.I wear a black jacket with a vision vest but am considering a hi-vis for my next suit.

White helmet is the way to go. Colors will definitely fade. My 'stich is three years old and is fading to a wonderful shade of pink.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

USERNAME
    i agree with kbasa on this - a white helmet is the way to go. i'd rather have a white helmet and a black jacket than a black helmet and a hi-viz jacket. the helmet sits up higher and it's shape makes it easy to spot and track.

getting some reflective tape for night riding is also a good idea. i ride with a guy that has this stuff on the back of his system cases - it blends in in daylight, but from the rear, he lights up big time, super visible.

and remember, even with all the hi viz stuff in the world, some motorists will still not see you, so stay on your toes and be safe!

Yes to the white helmet. Even read statistics showing a substantial (I don't remember how much) decrease in accidents for riders wearing whiter helmets. Of course there may not be a cause and effect relationship ... but then again there may be!
    Dan

A WHITE helmet.

I don't count the times when I'm sure at 100% that my white helmet catched instantly the attention of a driver because of my white helmet.

JPK1100

Hi Viz Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    White helmet is the way to go. Colors will definitely fade. My 'stich is three years old and is fading to a wonderful shade of pink.
    I'm sure I'm not riding as much as you so my hi-viz yellow (aka piss yellow) is holding up pretty well after 5 years.

I have a navy blue helmet but it's getting on in years and will likely go with either white or bright yellow (to match my jacket...at least to some degree).

I do have a helmet halo around my helmet but that's only good for night riding.

steviewonder
    Originally Posted by KBasa
    Colors will definitely fade. My 'stich is three years old and is fading to a wonderful shade of pink.
    Maybe you should quit doing your own laundry ???

Rally Rat

High viz yellow

I followed a rider off post yesterday. Dark blue bike, royal blue jacket and helmet, orange reflective belt. (DOD requirements.) The helmet, jacket and bike were virtually invisible at about 100 yards. The taillight was more visible than the belt.

My riding buddy (on K1200LT) was wearing a white helmet and the yellow-green reflective belt. He looked like a flare. The construction crews here have all gone to the same yellow-green with silver reflective stripes. Waaaay more visible. I've decided to wear the yellow-green relective belt off-post all the time based on these observations. White helmet, too.

BobFV1
    Jeff Dean has addresed the white helmet issue very well - please take a look:

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/white-helmets.htm

With regard to bright colored gear fading - who cares - it looks cool when it's faded - shows that you ride rather than model for motorcycle mags!

I have a black BMW Savanna II jacket, which is great because while it is black, it has great reflective strips way up high on both shoulders - these jackets are being discontinued and there are some smoking deals on them now!

Ride safe!

Motrax Visilite belt

I went into the garage to check specifically as to the mfr of the reflective sam browne-type belt that I wear. It is made by Motrax. According to the Motrax website, it is known as the Visilite belt.

My belt is XL and there is a high degree of adjustibility. The belt is easy to get on and off over a leather jacket or rainsuit. See:

http://www.motraxonline.com/acatalog...fetyrange.html

CRUISIN

interesting thread but. . .

This thread is interesting and helpful
    but also a royal pain in the a$$ to read
    with that GIGANTIC picture forcing
    everyone to scroll side to side to read each
    line on page one.

Cruisin'

Hey Cruisin,

this is not any different than Chromeheads. 17+" screen with high resolution, and you won't have to scroll left & right

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin
    This thread is interesting and helpful
    but also a royal pain in the a$$ to read
    with that GIGANTIC picture forcing
    everyone to scroll side to side to read each
    line on page one.

Oh, you mean Page 2, Post #28, robsmoto, pumkin heads!!! Yeah that is a beach, good thing I have 20" HD-Monitor, I only have to cancel my 'favorites' side-bar. Heheheheha
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

BELG
    Well, the only numbers on the tape are 0038 over and over again.. not very helpful, but I tried...