• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Conspicuity

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Got a conspicuity question for everyone. I ride a black K100RT with a Givi Black top box. I am about to order a new riding jacket and I realize that brighter colours make us more easily seen. However I am told by the manufacturer that the brighter colours tend to fade after three years or so. Most of my jacket is blocked from the rear by the Givi box and the front is hidden by the faring. I do ride with additional lights on the front and plan on having the top box brake light activated this spring. Is the brighter colour really the route to go. Would a black jacket really be that bad of an idea? Be honest.

I should add that when I ride the slab, I do wear a green safety vest. My top box and the paniers all have black refective tape that shines a brilliant silver/white at night.

Paul

Last edited:
Go with a high vis color or a black jacket with a vision vest,also a white full face helmet.I wear a black jacket with a vision vest but am considering a hi-vis for my next suit.

White helmet is the way to go. Colors will definitely fade. My 'stich is three years old and is fading to a wonderful shade of pink. :bluduh

i agree with kbasa on this - a white helmet is the way to go. i'd rather have a white helmet and a black jacket than a black helmet and a hi-viz jacket. the helmet sits up higher and it's shape makes it easy to spot and track.

getting some reflective tape for night riding is also a good idea. i ride with a guy that has this stuff on the back of his system cases - it blends in in daylight, but from the rear, he lights up big time, super visible.

and remember, even with all the hi viz stuff in the world, some motorists will still not see you, so stay on your toes and be safe!

Yes to the white helmet. Even read statistics showing a substantial (I don't remember how much) decrease in accidents for riders wearing whiter helmets. Of course there may not be a cause and effect relationship ... but then again there may be!

A WHITE helmet.

I don't count the times when I'm sure at 100% that my white helmet catched instantly the attention of a driver because of my white helmet.

JPK1100

White, silver or yellow for the helmet.

I am sized challenged so black is about all there is unless I have custom jackets. My best advice is check the seam piping. Make certain there is reflective piping on the back and elsewhere if you go black.

I would think that an orange or yellow helmet would be more visible than white (especially in the winter)?? :lurk

Last edited:
my advice is if you want to blend in a little don't go around using words like 'conspicuity'.

seriously though, here is the address of the site about the supposed safety of white helmets.

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/white-helmets.htm

i don't know if it should be taken as gospel or not either, but for what it's worth i have a full face white helmet as well.

Good idea to have lots of reflective stuff on the bike....but don't forget about having lots of reflective stuff on you as well, even if the helmet is white.

In the unfortunate event of you and your motorcycle going different ways in the middle of the night, it's lots better if your body laying in the middle of the road is as reflective as your bike laying in the middle of the road.

Reflective material on your body and on your white helmet can't hurt, might help. Getting run over while the four wheeler swerves to avoid your reflective bike in the road WILL leave a mark on you.

Friedle

For a ride this year I had attached some emergency tape (3M) onto the lower sections below the seam lines on my topcases, a dopey face on my bright red helmet that summons ire from motorists behind but gets attention and then added some onto my suit in places that would be noticeable from the sides. I also added just small pieces on different "otherwise dark spots" on the bike just to catch attention at night.

I can't say that I love the look but my buddy following said that motorists were shaking their heads...guess it worked eh?...lol

Last edited:
Pictures say a thousand words

My gear is black but there are those times when I want to be seen...

33549044-M.jpg

33549043-M.jpg

33523812-M.jpg

And if you don't like the 'truckers' look, 3M also makes that black tape that is reflective at night.

:thumb

i also find that if i dress like a cop and disguise my bike to look like a police edition, people see me better. ;)

Reflective Bits

I also have a black bike. While riding to the Fungal ride where we went through several miles of thick fog, I was told that the reflective tape afixed to the touring cases was the most conspicuous thing visable from the rear of my bike. (yes my lights work fine) :wave

Riding Colour Decision

I ordered black riding gear since it will not fade as noticeably as the colour jackets. It does have a reflective stripe across the back and I've asked for a reflective stripe to be included on the sides of the jacket. In busy freeway traffic (which I do not travel on that often), I will continue to wear my green vest, as well as using the additional driving lights. Next summer, I may acquire a white helmet.

My wife used to be concerned about my riding at night until she followed me home and was amazed how much reflection was given off by the 3M black reflective tape on the two paniers and top box from such a great distance. It works superbly at night and just blends in with the paniers in the daytime.

I read that some simply paint their black helmets white. Besides voiding warranty, does this do any damage to the helmet?

Thank you for all of your imput and if any of you have painted your helmet, please share with me if painting adversely affected it in any way.

Paul

Do not paint a helmet unless you know what you are doing. The paint and the helmet shell material MUST be compatiable. Using the wrong paint on a helmet can destroy its shell integrity.

Not only do you want to be seen from the back, I think it's just as important to be conspicuous (did I spell it right?) from the front. In the last two years, I've had four cages make left turns in front of me. If I hadn't already been slowing down, I don't think I would have been able to stop for a couple of them. I installed a headlight modulator, and just by the look on their faces, they can see me a lot better. Anything that makes you look less ordinary, the better. :stick

username said:
i also find that if i dress like a cop and disguise my bike to look like a police edition, people see me better. ;)

any pictures???? :lurk

username said:

Uther, are you the fake cop that caused all the commotion at my daughterÔÇÖs stagette party? If so you got some splainin to do! :nono :brow

The rear light may work fine, but I suggest improving them with the LED lights available from Motorrad Elektrik. These are NOT the little round units that jut replace the bulb; these are a large board that has something like 52 high-intensity LEDS on it and is coated with a very sturdy clear resin for resistance to the elements and to vibration. Motorrad has them for both Airheads and Oilheads. These lights really scream to be noticed, even during the day. Probably the best $37 I spent on the bike.

Back