• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200 vs K1300

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
I tried this before but no success. If I start looking for the next step after my K1200RS, why should I avoid the 1200's for the 1300's? Is it possible to have a 1200 that won't try to hand grenade on me?

I rode one K1200GT which seemed to be basically OK, but which was cursed with a Sargent saddle, making weight shifting virtually impossible - deal breaker.

The later K1200 models went away from the servo brakes which is why I chose an 08 GT. There are a few reasons for choosing a 1300 over the 1200, they are newer bikes and had a few updates to rectify some problem points the 1200s had. Most of the issues had been dealt with under warranty when I bought mine. I liked the 1200 as it has the older style switch gear which I am familiar with and is the same as my 09 F800Gs, so no mental wrestling with different switches on the different bikes. I switched to a Sargent seat on mine and then did a bit of reworking of the foam to make it more to my liking. I still have the stock seat and I suspect there are a few around on shelves that could be had if one was to ask around so I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker on a nice bike.

Does the '08 have servo brakes? I spent a week cruising the Alps (hell, but someone has to do it) on a '15 RT and really missed the servo brakes on my RS. More than once I started to get into the RT's brakes and had a near "gotta stop to change my shorts" moment as the brakes took their own sweet time about doing their job. I get servos can be spendy (I had to replace the modulator in the RS) but the "I'll get around to it" brakes on the RT really could be scary. [/rant]

What items were recalled or subjects of service bulletins? I hear a lot of "the early ones are trash". While an "everybody knows that..." is certainly subject for some skepticism, I assume there's some kernel of truth in there.

The turn signal switches! If I know who changed to the current version, I'd happily point out the lack of mental acuity they demonstrated. I was so happy to see them on an F650GS loaner.

I hear you on the saddle, but it's still a definite down check. Finding a good saddle, paying for what should have been there to start with... not lovin' it. OK, maybe it's not a deal breaker, but there are cracks in the deal.

My 08 does not have servo brakes, I did not want them based on the trouble many people have had with them. I believe they stopped using them part way through the 07 model year. They do still have the linked brakes and I've never had any feeling of not being able to stop quickly. I can get the ABS to kick in with just two fingers on the front lever (but I do have a pretty healthy grip strength). I can't say why the RT you rode would have had sluggish brakes, but that seems like an it might have just been an issue with that bike.

Some of the fixes from BMW are some recalls, and some service campaigns. I don't have the full list of which is which. Mine has had everything corrected including the rear suspension link, clutch basket, timing chain jump guard, fuel pump, and others. I did replace the front ball joints myself and suffered a final drive failure, but those are weak spots even in later models.

The story I heard about the RT is "they all do that; the brakes are ask good as servo brakes." Uh-huh. To be fair, this bike had 18K miles, and they were hard miles. If it had been my personal bike and not a rental with Edelweiss, it would have been in the shop.

Linked brakes? Sigh... If I hit the back brakes, does that mean I get the front brakes, too?

Gotit on the list of problems. Thanks!

Linked brakes? Sigh... If I hit the back brakes, does that mean I get the front brakes, too?

No, the back foot brake only runs the rear brake.
The front hand lever runs both front and back brakes.
Same setup as the K1200RS.

Hmmmm... I may just have a chat with the service manager. I'm fairly certain he said there was no linking. But then it could be he was talking about the rear brake. :scratch

In the meantime I'll be really clever, put the bike on its center stand, and see what happens. :)

The linked brakes are not as simple as that. It uses the ABS system to manage the proportion and operation of the braking force applied to the rear wheel with front brake application. Sitting still, nothing is happening there.

In the meantime I'll be really clever, put the bike on its center stand, and see what happens. :)

That's correct. With the bike on the center stand, put it in gear and let out the clutch so the rear wheel is spinning.
Apply the front brake and the rear wheel will stop.

'Scuse if I say that would scare the heck out of me. I recently did that, by accident, with an RT. If my weight had been further back... :eek

This raises a side issue. Until I saw otherwise, I assumed there is an interlock, similar to the one on the side stand, on the center stand. Not on the RT, and not on a K16000 (check by a sales guy at the dealer). :scratch

Lee's got the brakes covered, but back to the 12 vs 13 thing .... We've had 2 K1200S and 2 K1300S. If you find a good 1200 2007 or newer there's no reason not to go for it, but as with most everything saving will cost somewhere. The 1300 has an improved Paralever (front) suspension, improved ESA, timing chain jump guard and newer cam tensioner (cam tensioner production date is sometime in 2008.). And blah, blah, blah ..... If you find a nice bike in either get it. Looking is almost as much fun as riding. :)

Back