• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin ZUMO 550- Still Relevant?

I have several old Garmin 550's that I still use. As mentioned, the screens are much brighter than some of the later (and far more expensive) Garmin Zumo models that came along. I also like the fact that the 550 has the rubber buttons to press. Much easier than trying to use the touch screen on the later models. If the touch screen wears out (as they can do) the 550 will still function using the side buttons. Having to use the SD card for map updates is the only down side. I would go as far as to say they were superior to any of the newer Zumo's up until the new XT came along. Since I haven't seen him mentioned, Chris at PalmDr. is the go-to guy to keep your older Garmin working. He's able to fix just about anything with them like new battery, update the map for you, replace the rubber buttons, etc. https://www.palmdr.com

Since I haven't seen him mentioned, Chris at PalmDr. is the go-to guy to keep your older Garmin working. He's able to fix just about anything with them like new battery, update the map for you, replace the rubber buttons, etc. https://www.palmdr.com

If anyone sends a 550 in for repairs, have them do the map update because he doesn't charge much for a update.

Zumo 550 still relevant?

Looking around at used Zumo 550s. Seems like an inexpensive way to enter into an M/C GPS?

Are these still worthwhile? Or should I suck it up and buy a newer waterproof GPS for my bike(s)?

FWIW, I just spent a total of about 3 hours with three different reps, only to find out that the reason the automated "update maps" process would not work was that IT WILL NOT WORK under any circumstances. In short, I was told that the new map set needs to first install a Canada map set that also contains some critical system-level stuff, and/or utilities that, as it turns out, is just slightly larger than the default system memory will not accommodate as it is just slightly smaller than the new map set.

It does not matter if you also have a 4 GB card (or larger) plugged in - the default info set (apparently) must reside on the "main" chip set which again, is just a tad too small . . . how coincidental.

Despite spending about 10 minutes trying to educate the third rep I spoke to as to the importance of taking care of your existing customers rather than forcing them to buy new units to accommodate the "new & improved" map-sets, I was unable to get any satisfying resolution to what I KNOW is simply a programming problem/solution. It became very clear to me that GARMIN had simply chosen to NOT fix this problem programmatically (simply allow some of the "system" instruction set to reside on a card, along with however much of it might be needed for the map-set one chooses to buy). They did seem to think that offering me a "20% discount towards the purchase of another $800 - $1,000 device would allay my deep dissatisfaction. WRONG

Turns out my current map-set on my 550 is 2018.20, for which the rep was happy to remind me was available for me to still use if I chose. That's fine, as long as I am willing to drop-back-and-punt when I'm navigating my way through some major city that has rewired some key interchanges over the past 3 years. Can't imagine who that might be! Otherwise, should work just fine.

So, if you or anyone else runs acriss this post and knows an effective work-around, please notify me immediately! I would love some help.

Hope some of that bad news is helpful to someone, somehow.

Best to all,

Doug in Delawhere

I have a 550. When an update comes out I put some of the northern states included with Canada on the internal and then use mapinstall to put the rest of the US on the 4 GB card. It is a hassle but works.

Contrary to above:

This unit will still work if you change the default install option from device to computer only and let it download and activate there first. Then use Mapsource (or Mapinstall if you have Basecamp loaded) to place a small set of maps on the internal GPS storage area and the rest on an SD card. I put the SE US where I ride on the internal storage @ about .5 GB and the rest of North America on the SD card @ about 3.5 GB. Takes a few hours if the card is in the GPS but less than one if you have a card reader attached to your PC which gives you much faster file transfers there.

The problem isn’t the version of Express but rather the size of the smallest region. Canada and Border States will no longer fit on the internal storage like before.

If you still need details on how to update your Zumo 550 with 2022 maps and beyond feel free to PM me for help.

Last edited:
Zumo 550 - Map Version 2023.20 - street names not fully supported

I recently downloaded City Navigator North America 2023.20 using Garmin Express to Device: Computer Only, then used MapInstall to cram as much of the map data as possible in the Zumo 550 2GB SD card. Successfully downloaded to the Zumo 550, then noticed that in Map View the street names show the 1st letter of each word, the remainder of the word is dots. A Google search came up with plausible explanation that the 2023 map data uses both upper and lower case letters for the street names, and the lower case letters are not supported by the Zumo, hence the dots. I tested this theory by downloading the 2018.20 version for my local area to the Zumo internal memory, then used the Map Info in Settings (Settings>Map>Map Info) to turn off/on the 2018 map by selecting/deselecting the check box next to the 2018 map. Sure enough, the street names are back in the 2108, all upper case.

According to my Google search this issue started with the 2023 version, so the 2022 may be ok, I only have the 2018 version and Garmin doesn't make older versions available. The street names will display correctly in the Navigation Header when a route is enabled, just not on the background map.

I don't use the Zumo that often, but it is handy to easily find and route to nearby services (i.e.: gas, food, etc) so in that case having the latest map version is desirable even without complete street names in the Map View.

This whole map version update exercise was a rainy day job so maybe the next rainy day I'll look around for a 2022 map version... for now just have to live with the loss of complete street names in the map view as I don't want to upgrade the Nav unit on the bike.

I recently downloaded City Navigator North America 2023.20 using Garmin Express to Device: Computer Only, then used MapInstall to cram as much of the map data as possible in the Zumo 550 2GB SD card. Successfully downloaded to the Zumo 550, then noticed that in Map View the street names show the 1st letter of each word, the remainder of the word is dots. A Google search came up with plausible explanation that the 2023 map data uses both upper and lower case letters for the street names, and the lower case letters are not supported by the Zumo, hence the dots. I tested this theory by downloading the 2018.20 version for my local area to the Zumo internal memory, then used the Map Info in Settings (Settings>Map>Map Info) to turn off/on the 2018 map by selecting/deselecting the check box next to the 2018 map. Sure enough, the street names are back in the 2108, all upper case.

According to my Google search this issue started with the 2023 version, so the 2022 may be ok, I only have the 2018 version and Garmin doesn't make older versions available. The street names will display correctly in the Navigation Header when a route is enabled, just not on the background map.

I don't use the Zumo that often, but it is handy to easily find and route to nearby services (i.e.: gas, food, etc) so in that case having the latest map version is desirable even without complete street names in the Map View.

This whole map version update exercise was a rainy day job so maybe the next rainy day I'll look around for a 2022 map version... for now just have to live with the loss of complete street names in the map view as I don't want to upgrade the Nav unit on the bike.

It's unfortunate but something like that was bound to happen. The zumo is after all a 16 years old design, it came out 4th quarter of 2006. That it still works is surprising.

Thanks for the heads up. Disappointing to hear this as I really like my 550 but may be forced to move on eventually because of this. I have 2022 if you don’t find a download of it. Just PM if necessary.

Circa 2010 I was given a 550 that worked but wouldn't take power from the bike-mount due to corroded pins in the connector on the bottom, which is integral to the housing. The Canadian friend who gave it to me said it wasn't worth the flat bench-fee that Garmin charged in Canada, vs just buying another one.

I found a used 550 locally that had a good connector but was dead due to something rattling around inside it. Bought it for peanuts and made a fully-functional unit out of the good bits from the two, and had some extras parts leftover in case I ever needed them (a screen, a coupla batteries, etc.).

All was well until a couple of years later when the 'lifetime' map-support was discontinued. I used it for a little while until some roads in north Georgia did in fact change, then in a fit of ire at Garmin I replaced it with a TomTom Rider, which is mostly OK but I've never been completely happy with it.

I may still have the old 550 and spare parts in a box somewhere. If I can find it, anybody who wants it can have it if they'll pay the shipping.

Back