Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin ZUMO 550- Still Relevant?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar

Garmin ZUMO 550- Still Relevant?

Looking around at used Zumo 550s. Seems like an inexpensive way to enter into an M/C GPS?

Are these still worthwhile? Or should I suck it up and buy a newer waterproof GPS for my bike(s)?
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
    Looking around at used Zumo 550s.
    Are these still worthwhile?s)?
    Depends on the price. AFAIK Garmine no longer supports the 550 for either software or map updates. That doesn't mean they won't be able to do what you need. If the price looks good go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by 61242 View Post
    Depends on the price. AFAIK Garmine no longer supports the 550 for either software or map updates. That doesn't mean they won't be able to do what you need. If the price looks good go ahead.
    You can still update the maps on the 550, it's just that the full set will not fit in the internal memory. You choose what portion you want loaded, the remainder can be installed to an SD card. I had my 550 for several years and it worked quite well. It only died on me once and was replaced with a refurbished unit. I eventually switched to the 590 for the larger screen and a few other features.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

I'd suggest looking at a newer model. Newer models went from the 3.5 inch screen to 4.3 or even 5.0 inches. It makes it a little easier to see in a glance.

You can buy the Garmin Nuvi 660 used for as little as $20. https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-In...rds=garmin+660

The 660 hasn't had a software upgrade since 2010.

Otherwise buy a "car" GPS and carry a zip lock bag to put the GPS into when it rains.

Chris

Cool Zumo vs Nuvi

I have a 550 that I bought used 2 years back....OK....has crashed once (high ambient temps I believe)....I also use an older NUVI next to it.....both recently got BLASTED by torrential downpour (on the way to Hamburg) when I forgot to cover the bike.....Nuvi came out fine.....never missed a beat...and hasn't since!!!
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Inga" '04RT, "Fronk" '78 SR500
    Pensacola, Floriduh

The zumo550 is still a fine gps. It doesn't have the latest vervion of Garmin's software but it will get you there.
    It is lacking the gadgets, the instant on and the curvy roads option.
    I've bought mine refurbed and it was still functionnal five yeats later. I sold it to a friend for $150.
    Garmin doesn't support it anymore but you can get it fixed by palmdr.com in California.
    The only issue I've had was a craddle failure. Water got inside and shorted the small pc board.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT, '18 GSA

Looking around at used Zumo 550s. Seems like an inexpensive way to enter into an M/C GPS?
    The Zumo 550 is a good unit and I see used ones for sale on ADV, but the prices are usuall in the $250 to $300 range.
    As rtim noted a new Zumo 660 can be purchased for a little more.
    $310 at GPS City

$320 at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Zumo-6...words=zumo+660
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Ed Kilner #176066
    My old Zumo 550 was a pain to update with a full map set, but it was doable.

It did have a brighter screen than my newer Nav V, which was a surprise. Garmin should know usage on a motorcycle requires a really bright screen, even when not in direct sunlight.

The Nav V has a much faster recalculation speed, which can be handy in some complicated freeway interchanges with the need for multiple exit choices. Any GPS newer than the Zumo 550 will have a faster CPU.

Let us know what you choose and how it worked out for you.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

I am still using the 550. One of the big advantages is that, combined with the GXM 30, it provides satellite radio. The 665 does as well, but any new units do not. That feature is worth having. I also update the maps several times per year, so it stays current and works fine.

Thanks for the tip on the GPS city price on the zumo 660LM. Great price. Just ordered one.
    Mike Gray #103649
    2000 K1200LTC
    2014 F700GS
    2016 R1200RT

A 550 came with the 08 1200rt I just bought used. I was messing with it freeing up memory and lost the US map that was in it. Like a silly person I did not back up the unit first. Anyway, now all it will load with the map update from Garmin Express is Canada and border states as I guess that's what it originally came with. Do I need to get a maps subscription to access the USA maps?
    Signature

3D

Zumo 550 still relevant?

Are these still worthwhile? Or should I suck it up and buy a newer waterproof GPS for my bike(s)?
    FWIW, I just spent a total of about 3 hours with three different reps, only to find out that the reason the automated "update maps" process would not work was that IT WILL NOT WORK under any circumstances. In short, I was told that the new map set needs to first install a Canada map set that also contains some critical system-level stuff, and/or utilities that, as it turns out, is just slightly larger than the default system memory will not accommodate as it is just slightly smaller than the new map set.

It does not matter if you also have a 4 GB card (or larger) plugged in - the default info set (apparently) must reside on the "main" chip set which again, is just a tad too small . . . how coincidental.

Despite spending about 10 minutes trying to educate the third rep I spoke to as to the importance of taking care of your existing customers rather than forcing them to buy new units to accommodate the "new & improved" map-sets, I was unable to get any satisfying resolution to what I KNOW is simply a programming problem/solution. It became very clear to me that GARMIN had simply chosen to NOT fix this problem programmatically (simply allow some of the "system" instruction set to reside on a card, along with however much of it might be needed for the map-set one chooses to buy). They did seem to think that offering me a "20% discount towards the purchase of another $800 - $1,000 device would allay my deep dissatisfaction. WRONG

Turns out my current map-set on my 550 is 2018.20, for which the rep was happy to remind me was available for me to still use if I chose. That's fine, as long as I am willing to drop-back-and-punt when I'm navigating my way through some major city that has rewired some key interchanges over the past 3 years. Can't imagine who that might be! Otherwise, should work just fine.

So, if you or anyone else runs acriss this post and knows an effective work-around, please notify me immediately! I would love some help.

Hope some of that bad news is helpful to someone, somehow.

Best to all,

Doug in Delawhere
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3D
    '01 1150 GS-P
    "BlackTop"

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    I have a 550. When an update comes out I put some of the northern states included with Canada on the internal and then use mapinstall to put the rest of the US on the 4 GB card. It is a hassle but works.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Looks like that process no longer works since version 7.4.0.1 and later of Garmin Express blocks the ability to choose a smaller region for the internal memory which also pushes the necessary unlock code for the rest of the map dataset. If any Zumo 550 user has found a workaround would love to hear it.

Details of this new development are here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/zumo-...#post-42426017

15. 09-15-2021, 09:31 PM
    Reason
    Not the best way