• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Garmin ZUMO 550- Still Relevant?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
Looking around at used Zumo 550s. Seems like an inexpensive way to enter into an M/C GPS?

Are these still worthwhile? Or should I suck it up and buy a newer waterproof GPS for my bike(s)?

Looking around at used Zumo 550s.
Are these still worthwhile?s)?

Depends on the price. AFAIK Garmine no longer supports the 550 for either software or map updates. That doesn't mean they won't be able to do what you need. If the price looks good go ahead.

Depends on the price. AFAIK Garmine no longer supports the 550 for either software or map updates. That doesn't mean they won't be able to do what you need. If the price looks good go ahead.

You can still update the maps on the 550, it's just that the full set will not fit in the internal memory. You choose what portion you want loaded, the remainder can be installed to an SD card. I had my 550 for several years and it worked quite well. It only died on me once and was replaced with a refurbished unit. I eventually switched to the 590 for the larger screen and a few other features.

Zumo vs Nuvi

I have a 550 that I bought used 2 years back....OK....has crashed once (high ambient temps I believe)....I also use an older NUVI next to it.....both recently got BLASTED by torrential downpour (on the way to Hamburg) when I forgot to cover the bike.....Nuvi came out fine.....never missed a beat...and hasn't since!!!:thumb

The zumo550 is still a fine gps. It doesn't have the latest vervion of Garmin's software but it will get you there.
It is lacking the gadgets, the instant on and the curvy roads option.
I've bought mine refurbed and it was still functionnal five yeats later. I sold it to a friend for $150.
Garmin doesn't support it anymore but you can get it fixed by palmdr.com in California.
The only issue I've had was a craddle failure. Water got inside and shorted the small pc board.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Think I'll hold out and get a modern 1st gen GPS... eventually. Meanwhile I did get a mount for my iphone, so that will work for a while.

My old Zumo 550 was a pain to update with a full map set, but it was doable.

It did have a brighter screen than my newer Nav V, which was a surprise. Garmin should know usage on a motorcycle requires a really bright screen, even when not in direct sunlight.

The Nav V has a much faster recalculation speed, which can be handy in some complicated freeway interchanges with the need for multiple exit choices. Any GPS newer than the Zumo 550 will have a faster CPU.

Let us know what you choose and how it worked out for you.

I am still using the 550. One of the big advantages is that, combined with the GXM 30, it provides satellite radio. The 665 does as well, but any new units do not. That feature is worth having. I also update the maps several times per year, so it stays current and works fine.

A 550 came with the 08 1200rt I just bought used. I was messing with it freeing up memory and lost the US map that was in it. Like a silly person I did not back up the unit first. Anyway, now all it will load with the map update from Garmin Express is Canada and border states as I guess that's what it originally came with. Do I need to get a maps subscription to access the USA maps?

Does it have an SD card inserted in it? The 550 internal storage will not hold all of NA or even all of USA. You have to use basecamp to choose what maps to load where. Canada and Border States is the default I think if you don’t use basecamp but your device may be authorized for NA.

Does it have an SD card inserted in it? The 550 internal storage will not hold all of NA or even all of USA. You have to use basecamp to choose what maps to load where. Canada and Border States is the default I think if you don’t use basecamp but your device may be authorized for NA.

When I had a 550 I put US and Canada on a SD card. I had to pay for the maps.

You using Windows or Mac? I can try and find instructions for you.

You use mapinstall which comes with basecamp.

Loaded base camp on the Windows laptop and loaded maps on the units internal memory and maps onto the SD card like magic. No issues. All good. Thanks folks.

Back