Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garmin ZUMO 550- Still Relevant?

Thanks respondents! It has an SD card. I will mess around with base camp now.
    Signature

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    When I had a 550 I put US and Canada on a SD card. I had to pay for the maps.
    Yes they fit on an SD card which is why I asked if he had one installed.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    I didn't use basecamp.
    It was clumsy and time consuming to load the maps.
    You might be able to buy a preloaded card from Garmin.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

You using Windows or Mac? I can try and find instructions for you.

You use mapinstall which comes with basecamp.
    Last edited by mikegalbicka; 03-14-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    You using Windows or Mac? I can try and find instructions for you.

You use mapinstall which comes with basecamp.
    Loaded base camp on the Windows laptop and loaded maps on the units internal memory and maps onto the SD card like magic. No issues. All good. Thanks folks.
    Signature

Loaded base camp on the Windows laptop and loaded maps on the units internal memory and maps onto the SD card like magic. No issues. All good. Thanks folks.
    Good job.

I have several old Garmin 550's that I still use. As mentioned, the screens are much brighter than some of the later (and far more expensive) Garmin Zumo models that came along. I also like the fact that the 550 has the rubber buttons to press. Much easier than trying to use the touch screen on the later models. If the touch screen wears out (as they can do) the 550 will still function using the side buttons. Having to use the SD card for map updates is the only down side. I would go as far as to say they were superior to any of the newer Zumo's up until the new XT came along. Since I haven't seen him mentioned, Chris at PalmDr. is the go-to guy to keep your older Garmin working. He's able to fix just about anything with them like new battery, update the map for you, replace the rubber buttons, etc. https://www.palmdr.com

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    Since I haven't seen him mentioned, Chris at PalmDr. is the go-to guy to keep your older Garmin working. He's able to fix just about anything with them like new battery, update the map for you, replace the rubber buttons, etc. https://www.palmdr.com
    If anyone sends a 550 in for repairs, have them do the map update because he doesn't charge much for a update.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

3D

Zumo 550 still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
    Looking around at used Zumo 550s. Seems like an inexpensive way to enter into an M/C GPS?

Are these still worthwhile? Or should I suck it up and buy a newer waterproof GPS for my bike(s)?
    FWIW, I just spent a total of about 3 hours with three different reps, only to find out that the reason the automated "update maps" process would not work was that IT WILL NOT WORK under any circumstances. In short, I was told that the new map set needs to first install a Canada map set that also contains some critical system-level stuff, and/or utilities that, as it turns out, is just slightly larger than the default system memory will not accommodate as it is just slightly smaller than the new map set.

It does not matter if you also have a 4 GB card (or larger) plugged in - the default info set (apparently) must reside on the "main" chip set which again, is just a tad too small . . . how coincidental.

Despite spending about 10 minutes trying to educate the third rep I spoke to as to the importance of taking care of your existing customers rather than forcing them to buy new units to accommodate the "new & improved" map-sets, I was unable to get any satisfying resolution to what I KNOW is simply a programming problem/solution. It became very clear to me that GARMIN had simply chosen to NOT fix this problem programmatically (simply allow some of the "system" instruction set to reside on a card, along with however much of it might be needed for the map-set one chooses to buy). They did seem to think that offering me a "20% discount towards the purchase of another $800 - $1,000 device would allay my deep dissatisfaction. WRONG

Turns out my current map-set on my 550 is 2018.20, for which the rep was happy to remind me was available for me to still use if I chose. That's fine, as long as I am willing to drop-back-and-punt when I'm navigating my way through some major city that has rewired some key interchanges over the past 3 years. Can't imagine who that might be! Otherwise, should work just fine.

So, if you or anyone else runs acriss this post and knows an effective work-around, please notify me immediately! I would love some help.

Hope some of that bad news is helpful to someone, somehow.

Best to all,

Doug in Delawhere
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3D
    '01 1150 GS-P
    "BlackTop"

I have a 550. When an update comes out I put some of the northern states included with Canada on the internal and then use mapinstall to put the rest of the US on the 4 GB card. It is a hassle but works.

Looks like that process no longer works since version 7.4.0.1 and later of Garmin Express blocks the ability to choose a smaller region for the internal memory which also pushes the necessary unlock code for the rest of the map dataset. If any Zumo 550 user has found a workaround would love to hear it.

Details of this new development are here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/zumo-...#post-42426017

12. 09-15-2021, 08:31 PM
    Reason
    Not the best way

Contrary to above:

This unit will still work if you change the default install option from device to computer only and let it download and activate there first. Then use Mapsource (or Mapinstall if you have Basecamp loaded) to place a small set of maps on the internal GPS storage area and the rest on an SD card. I put the SE US where I ride on the internal storage @ about .5 GB and the rest of North America on the SD card @ about 3.5 GB. Takes a few hours if the card is in the GPS but less than one if you have a card reader attached to your PC which gives you much faster file transfers there.

The problem isn’t the version of Express but rather the size of the smallest region. Canada and Border States will no longer fit on the internal storage like before.

If you still need details on how to update your Zumo 550 with 2022 maps and beyond feel free to PM me for help.
    Last edited by mikegalbicka; 09-19-2021 at 03:40 PM.