Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for good riding boots?

Any suggestions for good riding boots?

I have some very old leather motorcycle boots. They have been with me through many bikes, many brands, and many experiences. They have been re-soled many times. But I'm just getting too old to struggle with pulling them on and off. It is time to replace them.

Any suggestions for good riding boots? I'm thinking: protection, water resistant, comfort for long distance, easy on/off (zipper?)
    An evil barbarian with a wrench in his pocket

I've had some TCX boots which I got at Cycle Gear. They seem great while riding and make for comfortable walking too. Nice zipper makes donning them easy. Here's the URL: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/tcx-x...gore-tex-boots
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Daytona. I have put on many miles since 2013. Always comfortable and waterproof. Pricey but worth it.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Aerostich Combat lites if you can find them.
    Speed laces make for easy on and off.
    Bullet proof.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You cannot withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Alpinestars has a new waterproof, armoured adventure boot that I'm interested in. My old Aerostitch Combat boots aren't going to last forever and they should be more comfortable for touring than full on MX boots. I do wear my Alpinestars Tech 7's if I'm doing any level of dirt.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

+1 on Daytona Road Star GTX. Expensive, but extremely well made and have lasted for many years...and still going strong. Waterproof and very comfortable for walking around off the bike.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    +1 on Daytona Road Star GTX. Expensive, but extremely well made and have lasted for many years...and still going strong. Waterproof and very comfortable for walking around off the bike.
    depending on the pants- I sometimes have to tuck them in the boot- they are great boots. oh- not made in china!

Get something that fit your feet well so you can not only ride in them but also walk around in them.

I've got hard to fit feet, medium width across the foot but with a narrow heel, and I definitely have to try on footwear to find some that are comfortable. Head down to your local dealers and try some on. If you are going to the Great Falls rally, there will be dealers of different brands there. I picked up a pair of Falco ankle high boots at the rally in 2019 when my walking shoes gave out during the rally and my bike was in line for new tires until the next day; being stuck at a national rally for a day without your bike is not all that bad! The dealer let me put them on and walk around for half an hour in the vendor area before deciding to buy them. They fit great, but since I was not familiar with the brand I want to give them a good test and they passed with flying colors. My tall boots are pretty much shot, so I plan on replacing them at Great Falls, probably with another pair of Falco boots which no one stocks around my area.

Good luck with the boot hunt.

Blog Entries

I wanted something I could also walk around it

Walmart for around $40 when I bought them. Waterproof leather with laces that I never use but side zippers that make them a snap to get off and on. Reasonably comfortable to walk in and decent protection. You could get the steel toe option if needed too. My previous motorcycle boots were Alpinstars and they were so wide my feet moved a lot inside them, no good for walking. They lived through a crash and about 40 feet of sliding on the pavement and were unscathed. I'm reasonably confident based on that experience that my Walmart boots would provide similar protection. Unless I get run over by an 18 wheeler and dragged for a half mile..
    Name:  IMG_20210527_132338541.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  239.9 KB
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    2017 R1200RT
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I added a bit to your title. It will make the topic more visible and easier to search.
    Good luck.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxTheDog View Post
    Walmart for around $40 when I bought them. Waterproof leather with laces that I never use but side zippers that make them a snap to get off and on. Reasonably comfortable to walk in and decent protection. You could get the steel toe option if needed too. My previous motorcycle boots were Alpinstars and they were so wide my feet moved a lot inside them, no good for walking. They lived through a crash and about 40 feet of sliding on the pavement and were unscathed. I'm reasonably confident based on that experience that my Walmart boots would provide similar protection. Unless I get run over by an 18 wheeler and dragged for a half mile..
    Name:  IMG_20210527_132338541.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  239.9 KB
    I have a similar pair from Bates. Tactical law enforcement line.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I've had some TCX boots which I got at Cycle Gear. They seem great while riding and make for comfortable walking too. Nice zipper makes donning them easy. Here's the URL: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/tcx-x...gore-tex-boots
    I second this recommendation. I've had a pair of these for 7 years, they have at least 100,000 miles on them, they still look good and still keep the H2O out.

I bought mine from Alex at BlackhillsMoto.com call him for the best price.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I have a similar pair from Bates. Tactical law enforcement line.
    I also have some Bates tactical with Gortex panels, the latest model I have however
    does not have the pull tab at rear, pretty important feature in my years of wearing this type of boot

I have several moto boots, but these let you walk/ hike a lot more if that’s a concern, or wear after the ride
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

The zippers on my Bates finally gave out. Will be trying on a pair of Carolina 8" waterproof logger boots this weekend.

Part of the game is finding the right boot for the type of riding you intend to do.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk