• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lets talk R80ST

martinph

Prefers to play
I have gotten myself a 1983 R80st. Am finding out that it is a very different Kettle of fish. Seems to be made up of various parts that were on the shelf! (R65) (R80)(R100). Handles very nicely but seems to fall into the corners at slow speed.

What about it looks/smells like an R65? The engine is the same as the R80/7...the R65 had a shorter stroke. Obviously the R80ST was the first of the monolever. Brakes are the same. The ST is a bit lighter than an R80/7...figures. The electrical system is the same as the post 1980 models...electronic ignition. Transmission is essentially the same as the R80/7.

The R80ST is generally considered maybe the best handling airhead. Proper sized tires and inflation goes along way toward good handling. Something to check.

Not to worry Martin. Coming off my R1100RT and R100RS and hopping on my R80G/S which is the same frame, engine as your ST I found the same thing. It is a very sensitive machine. You just think about moving a bit in your lane and POP you are there. And yes it wants to dive right in when you decide to lean into a corner. This would be more pronounced on the G/S than the ST due to skinnier tires I would think but yeah, it takes getting used to.

Once you do though, it's a nimble thing of beauty and a joy forever! :dance

What about it looks/smells like an R65? The engine is the same as the R80/7...the R65 had a shorter stroke. Obviously the R80ST was the first of the monolever. Brakes are the same. The ST is a bit lighter than an R80/7...figures. The electrical system is the same as the post 1980 models...electronic ignition. Transmission is essentially the same as the R80/7.

Head light, cockpit and tank. R65 Gear shift exhaust and foot pegs R80gs

The R80ST was an R80GS with modified rear suspension and an R65 front end from the triple clamp forward. Or so they said in 1983. Voni bought one - she rode it to Alaska when I rode my R80GS.

Well, I certainly always wanted one. Still do.

The only one I know of in the area sells back and forth among all of the 3 previous owners and they won't let me squeeze in. A little stingy, don't you think ?

Now I wonder if you can fit a much larger fuel tank ?

Charlie

p.s. I wonder if R80 ST is the most rare post 1970 model as far as production numbers and desirability ?
A /5 500 cc may have lower production numbers but lacks the lust factor, in my opinion. What do y'all think ?

p.s. I wonder if R80 ST is the most rare post 1970 model as far as production numbers and desirability ?

According to the BMW Mobile Tradition book "Motorcycles from Berlin 1969-1998", the R80ST was not the lowest production model. Some of the lower productions models are:

R50/5 -- 7865
R75/7 -- 6264 (superseded by the R80/7)
R100T -- 5463
R100CS -- 4038
R80ST -- 5963
R100RS (1986-1992) -- 6081
R65GS -- 1727

Desirability? Maybe...an 800cc bike that probably had good pavement manners but had the suspension to handle offroad. That could also be said for the R65GS...it likely had more capability offroad.

Due to the rarity of the R80G/S and the crazy money they go for these days many R80ST bikes have been converted to a G/S.
Doesn't really take too much from what I understand.

Big difference from the others is that the ST will just smoke 'em on the twisties. Probably the best power to gearing match ever with the handling to go with it. Still my favorite.image.jpg

Head light, cockpit and tank. R65 Gear shift exhaust and foot pegs R80gs

The ST eliminated the 21" front wheel and as you mention used the R65 gauges, head lite, chromed the exhaust, different bars and went from a 37/11 to a 32/10 with street tires for better highway manners. In 1981, when the G/S came out here in the great white north, it was quickly noted by some riders how light and responsive it was and although initially sceptical soon recognized how well the single swing arm worked. It obviously was not exclusive to Canada and it appeared BMW was listening as the ST came to us in 83. As Mike mentions some have converted them to G/S models because of demand for dual purpose rides but in my mind they are a great bike to ride... even as an ST.... There is a ST riders group on yahoo if you want to connect with other owners.

The ST eliminated the 21" front wheel and as you mention used the R65 gauges, head lite, chromed the exhaust, different bars and went from a 37/11 to a 32/10 with street tires for better highway manners. In 1981, when the G/S came out here in the great white north, it was quickly noted by some riders how light and responsive it was and although initially sceptical soon recognized how well the single swing arm worked. It obviously was not exclusive to Canada and it appeared BMW was listening as the ST came to us in 83. As Mike mentions some have converted them to G/S models because of demand for dual purpose rides but in my mind they are a great bike to ride... even as an ST.... There is a ST riders group on yahoo if you want to connect with other owners.

Mine came with the 37/11.

Big difference from the others is that the ST will just smoke 'em on the twisties. Probably the best power to gearing match ever with the handling to go with it. Still my favorite.View attachment 57559
Gary Phillips, love what you've with your ST, I would'nt change a thing. Barry Phillips PS I've gotta a silver ST.

The electrical system is same as R65, i.e. there is no terminal board in the headlight and the fuses are in a little container mounted to the front of the frame under the fuel tank. It came with the single coil with 2 terminals (will fail).

ALL BMW Airheads for a given year had the exact same transmission, regardless of engine size.

The engine is the same as an R80G/S, i.e. doesn't have flat top carbs like R80/7.

Actually, the R80G/S is the first monolever, as it came out before the ST.

BMW didn't offer a dual disc conversion kit for the G/S and I think the ST, but IMHO should have. Neither ST or G/S rotors or calipers are interchangeable with a /7.

A G/S Paris-Dakar fuel tank will fit an ST. So will an R100GS tank, but it expects some coverage from the seat, which the ST can't provide.

Like the G/S there isn't frame clearance for the oil cooler thermostat.

There was an ST converted to 1000 that made lots and lots of laps at the National at Laguna Seca.

Last edited:
Back