• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 R12RT - changing lower spark plugs

W7lej1

Kindly curmudgeon
Hi All,

This has probably been previously discussed and I just missed it.

Can anyone point me to a suitable thin-wall socket (it would seem, VERY thin-wall) for extracting and installing the lower spark plugs? My Craftsman deep socket walls didn't look very thick, but wowsers, that's tight in there.

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

Marty

Your best bet is to grind one down.
They may read "thin" or anything like that. The ad may say really thin or ultra thin.
But once you get one stuck in there they can be very hard to get out.
So I think grinding is the easiest.
dc

Your best bet is to grind one down.
They may read "thin" or anything like that. The ad may say really thin or ultra thin.
But once you get one stuck in there they can be very hard to get out.
So I think grinding is the easiest.
dc

That's what I did. Works fine now. :)

Is the bottom plug well tighter than the top one?

I have pulled the top plugs with no problem, but have not tried pulling the bottom ones yet.

Thanks
Scott

The BMW shop tool works best. It is very thin, has retention, and is long enough to work without any extension. I wish BMW sold one like this for the newer engines.

The Snap-On socket fits well also. Only use it with a locking extension (same with any socket IMO).

The old 1100/1150 toolkit tool works well, too. No retention, though.

I have an ITC 16mm deep socket that works perfectly for both spark plugs on my 07 RT

I never noticed that the top and bottom ones were different. :scratch

I have an ITC 16mm deep socket that works perfectly for both spark plugs on my 07 RT

I never noticed that the top and bottom ones were different. :scratch

The spark plugs are not different. Just less clearance around the lower ones.

FWIW the BMW 12 3 510 tool (83 30 0 401 695) is 20.5mm diameter. The Snap-On 5/8 spark plug socket (S9706KRA) is 21.15mm. The BMW toolkit tool from the R11xx era (71 11 2 316 193) is about 21.2mm. I haven't seen the toolkit tool that was made available for the Hexheads, but it is different.

And, as an anecdote, a customer brought me a TwinSpark 1150 into which someone had installed 11/16" plugs in the bottom. I turned an 11/16 spark plug socket down to 21.85mm (there was 0.75mm wall thickness left at the corners) and it would just go in far enough to get the plug out but it would not slide in.

If you want to turn down your own socket, or buy one, I'd make sure it was no more than about 21.2mm based on the numbers I posted a few minutes ago.

Back