• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mexico Riding and online insurance for Mexico

G

I'm headed to Mexico this January planning to ride from Tucson down to San Miguel de Allende just north of Mexico City.

I'm looking for recommendations for Mexico motorcycle insurance companies which I can access online and buy a policy. I've read that you have to have insurance which is from Mexico and not the US but every company I find online seems to be in California? Any advice on this?

Any tips or recommendations for riding in Mexico in January? Any specific gear which I should have. I'm curious what coastal & mountain temps will be in the northern half of Mexico in January. Do I need heated gear for the mountains?

Thanks for the help...
-Conrad

These guys served me well...

http://www.cyclemex.com/

Their site looks dorky, but their service was good, as was their price.

Don't wait until the last minute on this, and buy it for a few more days than you need.

It is very difficult to buy *motorcycle* insurance at the border (in fact, my riding partner couldn't find any) and nearly impossible to buy it once inside Mexico.

Also... tips.

If you get uncomfortable with cars driving right up next to you, stay away from the bigger cities. Don't even think about going into Mexico City unless you're going on an early Sunday morning.

Ride "con brio"... if you're pokey, you could get killed if you don't get out of the way. No, I am not kidding.

Bring electrics, just in case. There are many high elevations in Mexico and it can be surprisingly cold.

It is difficult to find a place to camp.

Look for the Guija Roja (Red Guide) maps... they are excellent.

Your GPS will only feature the major roads. Last time I checked there were no detail maps available.

I have more tips and advice in a ride report I wrote a couple years ago.

Ian

You may also want to check your insurance company. Mine covers me taking it into Mexico and Canada - but not Toledo? Just kidding.

Since Ian has made a recommendation, I suppose I can, too. I work in Mexico and am in the country almost every week. I often drive my car from El Paso (where I live) to Chihuahua, Torreon and/or Aguascalientes. Liability insurance is now mandatory in the state of Chihuahua, but I wouldn't want to bet the car next to you actually has insurance! It is sometimes difficult to find full coverage insurance for a motorcycle. My agent does offer it. My agent is Martin Beltran at Palms Insurance in El Paso, TX. They may be online and they probably have an 800 number, but I don't know it. Their phone number is (915) 533-0062.

Insurance in Mexico which is recognized by the government, police, etc., must be from a Mexican insurance company. Sanborn's (offices in many border towns) has (or used to have, anyway) a good reputation. I had a claim once and there was no problem and they paid promptly - in dollars. The problem with them is they didn't write full coverage for motorcycles. (I don't know if they do now or not.)

If I can be of help, let me know.
Ride Safe,

JSMersiowsky said:
I'm headed to Mexico this January planning to ride from Tucson down to San Miguel de Allende just north of Mexico City.

I'm looking for recommendations for Mexico motorcycle insurance companies which I can access online and buy a policy.
-Conrad

I bought a policy at mexadventure.com for my B2B. They had a great website and it was very easy to do. Never needed it but had to have it. Have a great trip!

jbrady4483 said:

I'm looking for recommendations for Mexico motorcycle insurance companies which I can access online and buy a policy. I've read that you have to have insurance which is from Mexico and not the US but every company I find online seems to be in California? Any advice on this?

Any tips or recommendations for riding in Mexico in January? Any specific gear which I should have. I'm curious what coastal & mountain temps will be in the northern half of Mexico in January. Do I need heated gear for the mountains?

Thanks for the help...
-Conrad

Conrad,
See 'our very own'/ this MOA website, www.bmwmoa.org/global/BeyondEurope.htm; page down to 'Mexico'--you'll find links to two of the most recommended Mexico specialty insurance sources.

best,
Court Fisher

corrected link

CourtFisher said:
Conrad,
See 'our very own'/ this MOA website, www.bmwmoa.org/global/BeyondEurope.htm page down to 'Mexico'--you'll find links to two of the most recommended Mexico specialty insurance sources.

Court - your linkie picked up the semicolon, so I took it out for you.

The question is, why didn't I think about the Global Touring Section of our site??

It *must* be because you only have 3 posts on the Forum! :p

Welcome Court... please post more often. You have fascinating stories to tell, know a ton of stuff about interesting people and places and it would be great to share it here.

Here, pull up a Kermit chair and set a spell! :)

Ian

Back