• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Multifunction Display - Date & Time Format

I checked the part numbers for the North American instrument display and the German instrument display (both in Km/Hr) and they are both the same.

So unless German instrument displays show AM/PM (which I doubt) as ours do, it must be a software change to have them display in 24H time.
Not a pressing matter, but if I come across the fix, I'll post the solution.

Thanks! I came across that last week. There is nothing like that on my R1200 GSA LC menu.

I wonder if I can make the change with my new GS-911 WiFi dongle. I haven't really done much with it other than make sure it works in all three modes and run a scan.
:thumb
Well Alex, maybe it will help others.
It will be good to know once you get it figured out. It will be nice to hear how you like the GS-911.
Gary

It will be good to know once you get it figured out. It will be nice to hear how you like the GS-911.
Gary

My first impression of the GS-911 WiFi is that it is overpriced at $399 compared to the other diagnostic software / dongles that I have.

The Ross-Tech VCDS for VW Group cars can do pretty well anything under the sun with unlimited VINs: $349.
The Durametric for my Porsche with 3 VINs: $287.

I'll play with it and I hope to be impressed.

My first impression of the GS-911 WiFi is that it is overpriced at $399 compared to the other diagnostic software / dongles that I have.

The Ross-Tech VCDS for VW Group cars can do pretty well anything under the sun with unlimited VINs: $349.
The Durametric for my Porsche with 3 VINs: $287.

I'll play with it and I hope to be impressed.
I understand that. I have a Snap-On Solus that is pretty nice but has outdated software. The software update is $1250.00. Been thinking of moving on to a different diagnostic tool.
At least you seem to be able to obtain the diagnostics for your units. My Can-Am ATV uses something called BUDS......Nothing available yet.
Gary

BTW, my friend has one of those 1 of 500 Porsche Can-Am cars. :burnout

It will be nice to hear how you like the GS-911.
Gary

Lets try this again.

From what I can tell, all the GS-911 WiFi can do is perform an AutoScan, read and clear fault codes, and clear and set the Service reminder. Quite basic!

Compared to what I am used to in the other diagnostic software (Ross-Tech and Durametric) that I have for my vehicles, the GS-911 WiFi cannot get into any of the modules to change codes. I was able to change codes on my VW to alter the time format and other aspects.

So, if the GS-911 WiFi can do a lot more, then I'd sure want to hear from the suppliers. So far, it is not what I expected.

Lets try this again.

From what I can tell, all the GS-911 WiFi can do is perform an AutoScan, read and clear fault codes, and clear and set the Service reminder. Quite basic!

Compared to what I am used to in the other diagnostic software (Ross-Tech and Durametric) that I have for my vehicles, the GS-911 WiFi cannot get into any of the modules to change codes. I was able to change codes on my VW to alter the time format and other aspects.

So, if the GS-911 WiFi can do a lot more, then I'd sure want to hear from the suppliers. So far, it is not what I expected.
Not sure if you have seen this- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ng-a-GS-911-for-basic-scheduled-service-tasks
Of course the GS911 software may have changed since the post.
OM

Not sure if you have seen this- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ng-a-GS-911-for-basic-scheduled-service-tasks
Of course the GS911 software may have changed since the post.
OM

Well there is my answer...

What the GS-911 is not:

A bike-computer programmer. It is very frequently asked whether the GS-911 is capable of performing the coding tasks necessary to add new equipment to a bike, or replace defective electronic equipment, such as Alarm systems, instrument clusters, failed ZFE or BMS-K computer units, tire pressure sensors, and so forth. As of this writing, these devices have to be properly "introduced" to the other computers on your bike using BMW's own diagnostic computers and software before they will function, and these are available only to the dealer network. The developers of the GS-911 have stated fairly clearly that these tasks are beyond the realm of uses this device is designed for.

That last sentence is a bit of a cop out.

The Ross-Tech software I use on my VW is nothing more than an OBDII dongle yet it can do the following very simple task...

Changing the Time Display Format from 12H to 24H

Now that is nifty software! The guys at Hex code need to pull up their socks a bit and get to work.

Edited to add: from another forum, a member posted: I got a note recently from Hexcode, saying they were still working on instrument cluster functionality (ie change bar to psi etc) and expected to release soon.

Lets hope.

Last edited:
They are slowly cracking proprietary software- it's progress.
Those/that was written a while back. Chances are the "cracking" continues :eek
OM

This thread seems to have wandered away from the OPs question into what the GS-911 can and cannot do.

The answer to the OPs question is: the dealer can change time display from 12H to 24H, I had it done to mine. Not sure if it could change date format (e.g. from MM-DD-YYYY to DD-MM-YYYY or distance readouts from miles to kms. When I was in Canada I just changed the units on my GPS and used it instead of the dash speedometer. That also affected the various odometers visible in the trip computer (distance to next waypoint/destination) as well as those in "My Motorcycle" which is only visible if you have a GS/GSA.

The answer to the OPs question is: the dealer can change time display from 12H to 24H, I had it done to mine.

Thanks, I'll check with my local dealer.

This is something the selling dealers should ask the customer as to how they want their motorcycle configured.

This thread seems to have wandered away from the OPs question into what the GS-911 can and cannot do.
It works out well sometimes. It reminds/informs the Members that there is a place where they can learn about the GS911. A discussion can hopefully bring in some knowledge from someone that has figured out how to do it on their own or in your case, how they manage to get the format changed. :thumb
OM

Gary,

According to a member on the GS-911 forum, supposedly there is a difference in capability between USB and WiFi modes...something about the "cloud". Since I do not trust my data being held elsewhere (isn't that what a cloud is about?), I'm not familiar with that aspect.

I'll play with this and see what happens.

Gary,

According to a member on the GS-911 forum, supposedly there is a difference in capability between USB and WiFi modes...something about the "cloud". Since I do not trust my data being held elsewhere (isn't that what a cloud is about?), I'm not familiar with that aspect.

I'll play with this and see what happens.

I think that this is the way a lot of software is going Alex. "Cloud based" operation leads to a couple of things-
It allows for easy subscription based operating systems and in the case of the GS911, access to updated operational parameters and retention of propriety software.
For your application, a nice "yard sale" laptop would probably be good although with Windoz, you still need some sort of anti-virus.
Just a thought.
Gary

From GS-911 Seminar at Das Rally

If I recall correctly, wetheads require the new wifi unit.

There is a new cloud-based app that allows you to store the results of autoscans of you bike. So, you can see trends in some parameters. I do not believe you need to have a wifi connection to the internet to get readings from the bike, just to use the log book function. Should be very robust and your data will be backed up for sure.

Back