• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Do you like your G650GS?

bimmerxi

My wife thinks she might want a new one. I have a R1200GS. I used to own a KLR650 thumper and found it an under performer on dirt or pavement. My primary question would be how does the bike perform at highway speeds? Is it smooth and does it have enough power? I wonder if the bike is better for light off-road and city or county road travel? Owner's any insight would be appreciated.

Eric

Last edited:
I have a 2011 G650GS, and I love it! I have ridden it on the freeway at 70+ mph, and it has plenty of power left over. It rides smoothly on the freeway, though it can be a bit buzzy in certain rpm ranges. My longest trip was about 350 miles, and I didn't feel beat up at the end of it.

That being said, I think the bike really is better suited for city/rural riding and maybe some light off-roading. I use mine mainly for commuting to work. If you think you will be doing a lot of highway cruising, there are probably better choices.:thumb

I ride a 2014 G650GS and it is my 4th 650 single. Yes, I love it, and would buy another one if needed. I RIDE A LOT and usually stay in the 65 to 70 mph range on the highway. If you run sustained higher speeds (like trying to run with larger bikes on Interstate, etc.) you can have an issue with the exhaust valve closing up and or burning. I have had NO problems with any of mine, but again, I ride pretty conservatively. After all, it is what it is, but IT IS a great bike. I'm really short so my options are limited, but it is definitely the right bike for me. I average 70mpg without being loaded with gear. Other things I really like about it are the way it looks ( I have had many favorable comments), handles great if you have to ride in gravel or dirt, especially if you have aggressive tires (I don't, as that is why I also own a 650 KLR), easy for me to push around for moving or parking due to being light. I have owned & ridden larger bikes which had been lowered, but I did not enjoy them because the bottom line is that they were just to big for me. Hope this helps :). FWIW, I have had mine on 110 mph, but there was nothing left, and that is another story anyway! I definitely would not recommend doing this very often.

I too am looking. I don't own one. However, I suggest you get her to ride the G650 and the F700.

The F700 can come with lowered suspension. That twin is smooth and snappy.

I rode my Thumper in this configuration from New York to the MOA Rally in Sedalia a few years ago. I did a saddlesore (1000 miles in 24 hrs) on the way.

i-kw8227j-XL.jpg

Stripped it down a bit, and rode the GS Giant track at the rally.

i-ZBMZkj6-X2.jpg

Continued west after the rally to Colorado, then to New Mexico.

i-sH4mJqp-X2.jpg

Rode a Bunburner (1500 miles in 36 hrs) from New Mexico back to New York. It is a very capable machine. I wouldn't try to keep up with a 1200 GS at highway speeds all day (80-85 mph), and trying to pass at 80 mph can be dicey, but overall it is a lot of fun.

Had one for a year. Under-powered and soft suspension but nice. Buy a KTM 690 Duke if you want performance in that engine size range. You won't be disappointed.

Bmw g650 gs

I have a 2013 BMW G650GS with one tooth more on the countershaft, windshield, vario bags. It will run all day at 80 and more if the big bikes show up. If your riding solo this bike will do it all. I would want a bigger platform for two up. Did a little over 13,000 in twenty days without a problem. Easy on gas and tires. I think the standard frame is a little closer to the ground than the 700 GS. Bob at the shop has something like 150k on his and also has a 700. I understood him to say his 700 sat a little higher. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Wayne Koppa
#71,449 Life
Grayling, MI

I just did the GS Giants rally and then rode to the MOA in Hamburg, and rode via Canada back to PA. The Sertao handled it all. Of course there are better highway machines and even dirt machines, but the point of the G650GS is that it does both while delivering 70mpg and weighing 400lbs. Far better than the XR650L or the KLR IMHO

www.classicvelocity.com

New Owner, New Rider

I just purchased a 2006 F650GS as my first bike, and so far, I think it's been the perfect choice for me. I love the upright riding position; I'm too old for a sport bike (already had ACDF surgery on my neck, so being in an aggressive forward-leaning position is not comfortable for very long), and I didn't want a cruiser because I'd rather have my feet beneath me than out in front of me. I've just been riding around my neighborhood, with a little venturing out onto the main roads, so I haven't had it out on the highway yet. I'm finding my confidence has grown quickly -- more quickly than I expected it to -- although I'm trying very hard to make sure I'm not getting overconfident and get in over my head. I think many years of driving cars with manual transmissions has made this easier, as the whole concept of upshifting and downshifting are almost second nature in a car, and that's translated well into how to ride a bike. The challenge has been remembering what limb is responsible for what action during the shifts.

It seems like the RPM sweet spot is around 3,000 (if I get much below that, it definitely feels like it's dragging), and around 3,000 RPM in top gear is only around 50mph, so I'm a little uncertain what to expect when I do get it out and try to do 65 to 70 mph (our local interstate speed limit is 70). Clearly the engine can do higher RPM, I'm just not sure what to expect on a highway ride of more than a few miles. So I'm happy to read the positive comments, but I have to admit I'm already finding myself thinking about what my next model might be. I just can't help myself, I've always been a "vehicle dreamer/shopper" which is so much easier with the Internet now!

So glad to have found this forum, as I'm sure I'll have questions!

John Meggers
Naples, FL

Fear not. That bike will cruise at the speed limit on the Interstate in Texas and Montana (80mph) all day. I forget the exact red line on the tach but it is way more than twice the 3K rpm you mentioned. The real sweet spot is more like 5,000 or 5,500 rpm.

I think where you plan on riding makes a difference. I live in northern california, and I am not very comfortable taking this bike on the freeway, where people generally cruise at 80mph. This bike could probably go that fast, but it would probably not have enough power left over to accelerate out of a bad situation, and vibration would be pretty uncomfortable. However, when driving on local highways with speed limit 55mph is perfect, easy to accelerate to 70 mph to pass, and vibration isn't bad.

It is amazing how many miles I get per gallon: around 75.

I just got my 2014 G650GS this year and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm an average height (5' 5") female and it was hard to find a dual sport that was low enough for me to touch the ground. I'm not completely flat-footed, but pretty close. the bike is steady and well balanced and light enough to be maneuverable.

I know this is an older thread (2016?). Wondering if OP's wife got the motorcycle?

I bought my 2009 G650GS last week and have only a bit over 100 miles on it. But I like it a lot. My previous bikes were a K1200LT (which I still own) and a Honda Gold Wing. Both too heavy for a guy my age. I owned and loved a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 until my mother in law backed into it. And when I was young I had a dirt bike.

The 650GS is just right for street riding and two-lane county highways. I have had it up to 75 mph and after riding cruising bikes, this seems too light for that speed.

Winter arrives tomorrow in Wisconsin, so I won't have a chance to take any trips. But I think I will like riding this motorcycle more than the big ones I have owned.

I bought my 2009 G650GS last week and have only a bit over 100 miles on it. But I like it a lot. My previous bikes were a K1200LT (which I still own) and a Honda Gold Wing. Both too heavy for a guy my age. I owned and loved a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 until my mother in law backed into it. And when I was young I had a dirt bike.

The 650GS is just right for street riding and two-lane county highways. I have had it up to 75 mph and after riding cruising bikes, this seems too light for that speed.

Winter arrives tomorrow in Wisconsin, so I won't have a chance to take any trips. But I think I will like riding this motorcycle more than the big ones I have owned.

Welcome to the forum.

Spring is right around the corner.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Welcome to the forum.

Spring is right around the corner.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thanks, Wayne. I was able to put some more miles on yesterday in the unseasonably warm weather. I just know I am going to really enjoy this motorcycle.

BTW, I lived in Kalamazoo for many years and have been to Grayling.

Back