• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any packing tips for a 20 day trip?

momster

Hi -- I'm pretty new to riding (about 4,000 "career" Miles so far). I'm heading out with my husband on a Northeastern tour in August --- starting from Atlanta up to Canada, ME, VT, NH, NY and hopefully will find some cooler temperatures! Does anyone have any tips for packing for an extended trip? 😀

Elaine,
I'd say first rule would be to leave Marc home :) :) :)

Who loves you both?
I do......
Safe travels and see you in West Dover in a few weeks..

Rocketman

Packing

Sounds like a great trip. Pack light and small if possible. I put underwear and such in a compression plastic bags to save space. Are you camping or staying at hotels? Most hotels now have laundry facilities so you don't need to pack so many cloths. If camping, no reason not to wear the same cloths many times. You may be dirty but you won't stink. At least that is what I tell myself.

Have a great time.

Seriously,
I am told to pack what you want, then cut the pile in half, then in half again. I pack like I'm never coming home...but that's just me. My good gear, like LD comfort shorts, TechSox and a few shirts can be washed in a sink with shampoo, squeezed out (wring tight in a towel), hung up, and are dry by the next morning. Trick is to get gear that is basically wash, quick dry and wear.

I'm partial to the newer nylon fabrics, commonly sold as "travel" pants and shirts. They're comfortable and breathe well, and compress into really small volumes. During the day, of course, they're covered by my Darien jacket and pants. I wear one set, and carry another, along with a heated jacket liner and unheated vest.

I'm a motel guy. When I clean up after arrival, I toss the day's pants and shirt and underwear into the shower, where they get agitated under my feet as I wash. Rinse and hang 'em up after, and put on the other set. The washed pair is usually dry by after dinner. Socks sometimes take longer to dry.

Customizable MC Checklist

I use this for longer rides I have been on. It is a good starting point and can be customized to meet your needs. I am of the school that says less is better and I minimize clothing and shoes and wash items regularly while out.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

I hope you have a great trip!

Chris

Elaine,
I'd say first rule would be to leave Marc home :) :) :)

Who loves you both?
I do......
Safe travels and see you in West Dover in a few weeks..

Rocketman

Too funny! A few tips:

I use zip lock 2.5 - 3 gallon bags to store and keep clothes dry. You can pack like stuff into smaller packages and squeeze the air out, similar to a vacuum pack, then pack separately around the bike.

Also, I use waterproof duffles with compression straps to minimize bulk. I've found these at outfitter stores that cater to water sports like rafting and canoeing, Cabela's and White Horse Gear.

Also, I prefer 60/40 and synthetic clothing when on the road, for comfort, light weight, easier washing and quicker drying than the heavier and bulkier jeans and cotton garments.

I always pack a heated vest, and the waterproof liner jacket that came with my mesh jacket. They do double duty when it's cool, in the morning and evening, as well as when it's wet. The weather in Northern New England and eastern Canada can quickly change from hot and humid to cold and/or wet during August and September so multiple use clothing is essential.

The reward is some of the best riding anywhere. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
I have found that zip lock bags, even those made for packing, tend to take in air and expand, defeating their original purpose. For the last three years I use pencil cases and soft lunch boxes. Each has a different design for easy identification. Pencil cases for socks, underwear, PJs swim suit etc. A soft kid's lunch case easily carries three shirts. Another carries all of my toiletries, another my snacks etc.

Did I mention price? All of the above are much less expensive than bags sold at travel shops for the same purpose.

My right saddle bag carries two waterproof travel bags; one for rain gear (including gloves and one for a hot/cool change of clothes). The left pannier carries all of my regular clothes.

Did anyone mention a charge card? It will purchase whatever you left at home.

Sounds like you have a good trip planned.

Enjoy the ride! :thumb

I am told to pack what you want, then cut the pile in half, then in half again.
+1

I travel a lot . . . and not just on motorcycles. I have finally learned after all these years to pack what I think I will need and cut that in half. I was in California last month for two weeks. There was a time when I would have made that trip with a large suitcase. This time I traveled with a small carryon and I still had things that I didn't use.

If you travel in riding gear, you don't need much. You need to think about how you wear your non riding gear. The MO for most is get to nights spot, take a shower, put on street clothes and go to dinner, relax etc. for 3 hours or so. So that shirt/ pair of pants will only get worn 20 hours in a week, with 7 showers in between. So in essence they are less soiled than if you put them on at 7 am and wore them to 11pm, for 2 days at home. A pair of jeans or slacks for evening wear will last 1 week, shirts I get 2-3 nights then a day or 2 under riding gear before they hit the dirty bag.

For riding a couple of layers for cold or wet and you are done. Spent 2 weeks in Europe 2 up with the wife, she got one saddle bag, I got the other (smaller one)

Back