• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'15 R1200RT after-action comments

What about getting it off the center stand? Some days, the center stand on my RS seems to be locked in to position. As an example, after fitting some bags, the Wolfman folks at the MOA Rally had to help me get my bike off the center stand. By myself, I could only manage the skid the bike across the floor.

I'm another 5'8'' 160 pounder. I get more leverage actually standing on the footpegs and rocking it off the centerstand.

Some interesting observations. It's often about expectations, particularly given the bike the OP is now riding (his K1200). It, and the latest generation boxer, are two rather different motors and a K guy may not necessarily appreciate the boxer. As for things like the RT's computer, I'd say it's probably a bit premature to judge it based solely on a relatively brief rental period. There is a learning curve, and no doubt carving the twisties in the Alps is not the ideal place to learn how to use it. I have a six-month old GSA, and I think the computer/wonder wheel combo on it is outstanding. That said, it's less "complicated" than the RT, in that the RT has a menu system that you have to drill down into using the wonder wheel in order to access a variety of functions. On the GSA you can locate many of the functions by simply pushing a dedicated button on the bars, and the wonder wheel controls only the Nav V.

I test drove a 2016 r1200rt at the dealer today. First wethead coming from a r1100rt.

Mostly I liked it. Pretty much better performance in every way. Brakes, power, tranny, etc. And smoother.

Mirrors were smaller with more limited visibility than my old r11rt, though and I can see why folks add a mirror to the mix.

My biggest "disappointment" was the throttle/fueling. In dynamic mode (which is all I tried yet) there was alot of spongy "play" in the throttle. While driving along I could twist the throttle back and forth quite a bit with nothing happening except a sort of squishy feel. Turn more and suddenly the engine came on fast. Same when throttling down, play then sudden decel.

I don't mind the power coming on suddenly, but didn't like all the "play" there was up to the point it activiated the throttle. I don't know if that is how they all are or if this one had throttle cable play.

Any opinions?

Other than that the new bike felt quite a bit more sporty although there is still a planted feel to my old r11rt that I find very familiar and comfortable.

For whatever reason they have a whole bunch of 2016 rt's on hand and sold one of their last r1200gsa's while I was test driving.

I test drove a 2016 r1200rt at the dealer today. First wethead coming from a r1100rt.

Mostly I liked it. Pretty much better performance in every way. Brakes, power, tranny, etc. And smoother.

Mirrors were smaller with more limited visibility than my old r11rt, though and I can see why folks add a mirror to the mix.

My biggest "disappointment" was the throttle/fueling. In dynamic mode (which is all I tried yet) there was alot of spongy "play" in the throttle. While driving along I could twist the throttle back and forth quite a bit with nothing happening except a sort of squishy feel. Turn more and suddenly the engine came on fast. Same when throttling down, play then sudden decel..

Why did you not try the other options than Dyna? I never use that on my '15 RT. "Spongy" is new to me. Try another RT and use other than Dyna.

I have R1100RTs in the past and used the stock mirrors only. I use just the stock mirrors on my '15 and '07 RTs and have no problem with them. Several RT riders add more mirrors.

Why did you not try the other options than Dyna? I never use that on my '15 RT. "Spongy" is new to me. Try another RT and use other than Dyna.

I have R1100RTs in the past and used the stock mirrors only. I use just the stock mirrors on my '15 and '07 RTs and have no problem with them. Several RT riders add more mirrors.

I ran out of time and traffic was getting really bad so I wanted to head for home. My main goal was to make sure a new rt was still a candidate for one of my next bikes as I plan to buy a new bike or two in the short term. And I think it's still a candidate.

Before I would buy one I'll ride again and try more modes, etc and get it on some twistier roads. And the plan was to ride a r1200gsa afterwards but someone bought it. That is what the salesman rides and says the weather protection compares to the rt.

I wonder if any vendors reflash the ecu of the rt for different maps. For example the fz-09 and fj-09 very commonly gets reflashed and limitations that Yamaha put into the ecu for whatever reason (epa, for example) can be tweaked for the better. The fz09 was notoriously twitch in A mode unless reflashed.

In terms of the mirrors, they are ok looking right back, but the blind spot to the side is larger than my r1100rt which was very noticeably today on the 5 lane freeway in traffic.

I had intended (if I buy a new rt this year) to wait and get a 2017 with ABS pro but the dealer is trying to talk me into a 2016 by knocking the price down. Quoted me a discount good until end of august. Not sure what I'll do there and how ebony comapares to carbon black.

(I am not crazy about the look for the RTW front and think the black color helps hide the busyness)

For my test ride on a 2015 R1200GS, the dealer wisely set the mode to "rain."

I have yet to try "Dyna" on my GS. I guess I ought to at least try it. It's usually on "Road" mode.

You might also try out a wethead GS before you decide.

Harry

My biggest "disappointment" was the throttle/fueling. In dynamic mode (which is all I tried yet) there was alot of spongy "play" in the throttle. While driving along I could twist the throttle back and forth quite a bit with nothing happening except a sort of squishy feel. Turn more and suddenly the engine came on fast. Same when throttling down, play then sudden decel.

I don't mind the power coming on suddenly, but didn't like all the "play" there was up to the point it activiated the throttle. I don't know if that is how they all are or if this one had throttle cable play.

I usually ride with my 2016 R1200RS set to Dynamic and I do not get the spongy feel or get a feeling of too much freeplay. BTW, the bike does not have a throttle cable.
My wife has the same bike and it has the same feel in Dynamic. She normally has here bike in Road mode. On our first trip we got into road construction where we were creeping at slow speeds and she did not like the instant on off feel when trying to ride at 10 MPH.

I usually ride with my 2016 R1200RS set to Dynamic and I do not get the spongy feel or get a feeling of too much freeplay. BTW, the bike does not have a throttle cable.
My wife has the same bike and it has the same feel in Dynamic. She normally has here bike in Road mode. On our first trip we got into road construction where we were creeping at slow speeds and she did not like the instant on off feel when trying to ride at 10 MPH.

I don't literally mean throttle cable play as I realize it's throttle by wire.. I mean in the spring and linkage there is a spongy range of motion before any fuel is sent to the injectors. It then feels like a physical about of play in the mechanism.

The instant off is a common attribute with FI (both my other bikes sort of have it) but for me the issue is the about of motion in the grip before anything happens. With my FJ-09, the only use I have found for B throttle mode is standing up on at less than say 20 mph on dirt roads. Helps a little with the instant on off of the FI.

I'm duly embarrassed about not getting the RT on the center stand. :blush ;)

Your whole report is so out of phase w/ my experience it seems like a total trolling event, but you get the benefit of the doubt.

I find the center stand so balanced in my '16 RT it's definitely easier to hoist up compared to the F800GT which is 130lbs lighter unloaded. As for RTLC's engine being buzzy, I came from F800GT which developed a virtual harmonic resonance at 4200rpm on up under load--the bike was fine as long as you didn't try sustained speeds of 72mph on up, but quite frankly i find canyon riding superior on RTLC over GT. I find just linear increase in low pitched thrumming vibration in the RTLC, what I fondly describe as rumbling butter. Really well balanced, holds lines much better as well than F800GT. If you're bent on ultra smooth minimal vibration consider FJR1300ES, 2015 gets you 5 speeds and so you don't need to do a lot of shifting in the twisties.

New guy here but not new to the boxers. After owning a 09 R1200R, I was stunned by how much more powerful the 15 GSLC engine is. There is simply no comparison.

I also love (not just like; "love") the vibration and noise from the boxer engine; never can get tire of them. The rattling and roar make the bike feel alive and vibrant. Tested the K1600 and actually found the smooth 6-cylinder very unnerving; too smooth. It felt like something was missing during the ride and made me feel detached from the bike.

But to each his own.:hug

"Spongy" is new to me. Try another RT and use other than Dyna.

I'm not a big fan of the throttle-by-wire, but some of the comments I've read/heard lead me to think that some of the observations might actually be fuel system "timing" issues related to lean operation. Depending on the "mapping" of the engine controller and the operation of the monitoring sensors on any given bike, one could possibly get these abrupt throttle responses.

Back