• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tell me, why choose an F800GS or F700 GS over R1200GS?

f7GS

IMG_2270.jpg Recently sold Recently sold my 11RT, which I loved, and started riding a 2016 F700 GS. I chose it for a couple reasons; I really want to go to Alaska before they throw dirt in my face (I'm 66), and think this is likely a better machine to deal with the mud and slop etc. Maybe it'll let me find some more remote or exclusive camp sites. I've also found that I've always had more fun on smaller bikes. I'd ridden the 800 GS for a day and really liked it, but Paul convinced me that the cast wheels were also something I valued. Many posters here, and the dealer thought the 700 was a more street oriented version, whereas the 800 was more off-road oriented. 98% of my riding is likely to be on pavement. I've always had sport tourers, and admit that so far, I often miss the protection. Tho as the weather heats up, I'm liking the breeze more and more. I'm hoping an "improved" windscreen will make it more comfortable for a full day on the slab....you gotta get from Chicago to the mountains somehow, you know. The bike is fast and quick and handles like magic. After I changed the Heidenaus for Metzelers. The BMW "comfort" seat is just what you'd expect from BMW; buy an aftermarket saddle if you expect to sit on it more than an hour or so. (What is WRONG with those people!?:banghead) I've put aluminum bags on and now I can put a full-face helmet in one! I miss being able to put a big-ass tank bag on, but that seems a small compromise. With a duffel, that I usually use on trips, I should be able to carry about the same amount of junk and necessaries. The size of the gas tank I suppose might turn out to be entertaining somewhere down the road, but at my age I need to stop to offload fluid about every 200 miles anyway:dance

Last edited:
Back