• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coolant

nick1234

I need to top off the coolant reservoir on my 2016 R1200RT. I have a brand new container of Honda HP Coolant I bought for my Goldwing. Can I use this, or, do I need to use BMW coolant?

I did. I thought it over and went and bought the BMW coolant. I guess it was a stupid question. Thanks

Your question was a good one and has been asked before (which coolant fluid should I use). I'd too would use BMW coolant it's cheap enough and a no brainier but you really just need a corrosion inhibited ethylene glycol anti-freeze mixed 50-50 (distilled water). This comes from the Haynes repair manual.

Jay

I did. I thought it over and went and bought the BMW coolant. I guess it was a stupid question. Thanks

Not really.

But, given how stingy some manufacturers can be with warranty issues, and how new your RT is, best you invested in the OEM brand for fluids, should that ever become an issue of contention due to mechanical failure.

An RT and a 'WING. You "da' man!"

Forgive me for replying to an old thread but I need to top up my coolant. It's about a half inch below the min level line. I bought a gallon of the BMW coolant and if I'm reading the container right whether you are flushing or topping off, it's a 50:50 mixture coolant and distilled water. 60:40 for extreme cold temp (not me). The parts guy said not to mix with water but that doesn't sound right.

I was going to top it off to bring it up to the min level at cold temperature. Sound right?

For that small amount straight or mixed will make no difference.

The question I'd have is not the mixture but why I'm low on coolant....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The question I'd have is not the mixture but why I'm low on coolant....

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. The bike seemed to run hot last summer but that could have just been weather related. I've seen all the forum posts on weephole leaks. I don't see any residue out the weep hole but I've only just discovered where it is and I may have cleaned it without noticing anything. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm still under warranty until May.

I've had a head gasket go in a wet head RT, not a common problem but still...If if were me, and my warranty was up in 2 months I wouldn't add coolant, but get it to a dealer now, show them the low coolant and ask them to investigate possible causes of loss.

If nothing else you have the issue documented in case something related to this issue manifests itself later.

I've had a head gasket go in a wet head RT, not a common problem but still...If if were me, and my warranty was up in 2 months I wouldn't add coolant, but get it to a dealer now, show them the low coolant and ask them to investigate possible causes of loss.

If nothing else you have the issue documented in case something related to this issue manifests itself later.

Probably not a bad idea. The service manager said it's not uncommon to have to add coolant to these bikes. I just looked at the odometer and at 4068 there could be more issues in the future. I'm wondering if I should get an extended warranty.

I had over 15k on my rt when the head gasket blew. Never used coolant. At under 5k...I'd be worried.

I'd follow Marc's advice and have the dealer handle it so that you've got a record of it having been below that mark and that you have had it looked at by BMW - which you are supposed to do according to the manual.

I'd be far less concerned about using BMW labelled coolant, and more concerned about not taking it to an authorized dealer. The quickest way to void your warranty is to have any issue that BMW specifically say calls for a dealer to address and then not take it to a dealer.

Page 121 of your Riders Manual specifically calls for this.
If coolant level drops below approved
level:
Have the defect corrected as
soon as possible by an authorized
workshop, preferably an
authorized BMW Motorrad retailer.
Being below the "MIN" mark is exactly what they are talking about.

That doesn't mean there is an actual issue, but there could be one, so it makes sense to have it checked, especially when BMW specifically states that you need to. Some have noted a few of several possible explanations for how this might come about without there actually being a real problem, but that is for BMW to decide not you, nor anyone on this forum, if you'd like to keep your warranty intact.

As for which coolant, there is, AFAIK, no place where BMW states that you have to use there coolant to satisfy any warranty issue. Besides, I also believe that no one has been able to find where BMW actually specifies what coolant you are supposed to use (which I find strange and feel we're missing something). They have specs for every other fluid, etc., but I've not found one for coolant.

If you do a fill try to do it on a cold or at least cool engine (same for checking the level) and you are supposed to fill to the max mark, or if you wish, the halfway point.

As for the level for your specific bike, that is below what has been reported by most all that I've read over the past year, but, as noted there could be other explaniations such as a little air in the system that didn't work it's way out until now, etc. My bike has a bit over 6,000 miles on it and some of that has been loaded hard mountain runs, heavy city traffic jams with almost constant fan on for 20-30 minutes, and high-speed triple-digit runs. It seeps from time to time, but hasn't lost enough to be even 1/16th of an inch below the MAX line when cold. But remember, this might be really nothing wrong here. Just take it to the dealer as BMW requires to cover yourself and for piece of mind. These are great bikes and really nice engines, but it is best to be safe and check it out.

Definitely get the dealer to look at it. I've had 2 wetheads, total 80,000 miles, and never had a coolant level issue.

I did have a level issue on a K1600 but that was after a service when they drained and replaced it. When I took it in the shop said sometimes the K16 is hard to "burp". There was enough to keep it cool (400 miles at freeway speeds!) but not enough to show in the overflow bottle.

Back