• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Traded my 2016 RT for a 2016 GS

rtsteve

Call me crazy, but this year I went from a 2016 Ultra Limited I bought in January (don't even want to discuss that bike in the desert heat) to a 2016 RT and now as of yesterday, a 2016 GS. I couldn't get used to the riding position of the RT after riding it a total of 1000 miles. I'm starting to accept my age, slowly. But I rode that GS for four hours yesterday and I'm totally serious when I say it's the best bike in the world. I finally stopped buying the bike I thought I should have and everyone else told me I should have and bought the bike I wanted.

Shhhh.....depreciation.....don't say the D word. Just lick your wounds and get back to life. Kudos to BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas. The owner and my salesman really stepped up for me to make the trade as easy and affordable as possible. They are a great dealership. Everyone there is friendly, loves motorcycles, have worked there for years, and are the most helpful.

The GS is actually the bike I wanted for a long time but I guess this year I had to just finally do the Harley thing because so many of my friends have them. The RT is a fantastic bike and I loved everything about it with the exception of two things.

1. The riding position was just to severe at my hips and knees. My days of sitting scissored for hours on end are over.

2. Every time I looked down I was doing 85-90 mph. It seems to be the sweet spot for that bike and the bike just likes to be there. It was a fun 1000 miles though. In dynamic mode, that front end just loves to come up.

So I was riding my GS up on the mountain last night and it was beautiful. That LED headlight setup is fantastic. It's what the Harley DayMaker should have been. Handling, performance, utility, off-road status, state-of-the-art technology and engineering, and comfortable ride or a balls out handler if you want it to be.

I don't care what anyone says, for an old guy who still has a streak of wildness in him, this GS is the best bike in the world.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 942
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 939
Congrats. Also moved to gs this year mainly for the seating position and ease of riding hours. Enjoy -gssteve

Another old guy here...currently on a 1150R Roadster.

So not debating, asking for an education....Why is the GS better on our old bodies ? It is so damn tall I would think just swinging a leg over would be a difficult challenge ? My Roadster does get to my hips [mostly] after shorter & shorter periods all the time.

Another old guy here...currently on a 1150R Roadster.

So not debating, asking for an education....Why is the GS better on our old bodies ? It is so damn tall I would think just swinging a leg over would be a difficult challenge ? My Roadster does get to my hips [mostly] after shorter & shorter periods all the time.

I didn't say that it was better on our bodies. It's just better for living life because of the multitude of things one can do with the bike.

I guess tall is a relative term and so is old for that matter. The standard seat height is 33.5 inches in the low position and 34.3 in the high according to BMW website specs. You can get a low suspension model with a low seat for 31.5 inches in the low. The GS Adventure low model will give you 31.1 inches, even lower still. With a 30 inch inseam I'm no way flat footing my bike unless I do the Captain Morgan. Even doing the Captain pose, the bike is leaning a little to the side, just a touch. I'm firmly on the balls of my feet in the low position with both feet on the ground.

I didn't want a low model. I want the full ground clearance so stayed with the standard.

To your point of getting on and off the bike, I find it ok unless I have bags on the back. If I'm on solid pavement I'll stand on my left foot peg and swing my right leg on over top of the bags. If not so solid ground that I wouldn't trust the peg-standing act, I'll slide off to the left and do the hop and drag across the seat. I'm 59, and still have some limber left in me. I manage with the bike carefully and try not to put myself into situations where I'll have mounting and dismounting problems. Of course they are bound to arise and that's why my AltRider crash bar and skid plate combo will be here by Wednesday.

Yeah, I guess there's no changing your name here. It will stand as a reminder of a few expensive mistakes.

Good luck with the new ride Steve! I find the GS series, for me, lets me "feel" a connection to the road. The full-on street bikes are so smooth and quiet I loose that feeling.
You can change your username but I think GSSteve is taken :) It has to be done through the office due to our login system.
Good luck.
Gary

I didn't say that it was better on our bodies. It's just better for living life because of the multitude of things one can do with the bike.

I guess tall is a relative term and so is old for that matter. The standard seat height is 33.5 inches in the low position and 34.3 in the high according to BMW website specs. You can get a low suspension model with a low seat for 31.5 inches in the low. The GS Adventure low model will give you 31.1 inches, even lower still. With a 30 inch inseam I'm no way flat footing my bike unless I do the Captain Morgan. Even doing the Captain pose, the bike is leaning a little to the side, just a touch. I'm firmly on the balls of my feet in the low position with both feet on the ground.

I didn't want a low model. I want the full ground clearance so stayed with the standard.

To your point of getting on and off the bike, I find it ok unless I have bags on the back. If I'm on solid pavement I'll stand on my left foot peg and swing my right leg on over top of the bags. If not so solid ground that I wouldn't trust the peg-standing act, I'll slide off to the left and do the hop and drag across the seat. I'm 59, and still have some limber left in me. I manage with the bike carefully and try not to put myself into situations where I'll have mounting and dismounting problems. Of course they are bound to arise and that's why my AltRider crash bar and skid plate combo will be here by Wednesday.

Thanks for the info...& enjoy the new ride.

I might go look at one ?

Gs

gssteve - congratulations on the swap; I've got a '15 RT and giving serious thought to a similar swap - just need some seat time in the GS to be sure.

Well done!

I've been pondering a switch from an 08RT to a GS; I rode a new 1200GS for two weeks in the Alps last year, lowered version.
It is still a tall bike compared to an RT - in terms of sitting position.
The two week ride really helped me like the GS, certainly more upright position (which my back likes) and less knee bend, without requiring additional modifications.

I am considering a bike that will enable me to go off road; so the GSs are certainly the ticket. I am56 years old, 5' 8" with a 28.5" inseam (barefoot) and 156lbs.
The 1200GS would be heavy to pick up in tip over (on or off road).
I love the boxer motor!

However, the "low slung" version of the F800GS is lighter, comes with spoked wheels, and has a good torque curve and h.p. ratings.

The F700GS, is lighter again, however, doesn't seem to have the same off road capability as the F800GS, and the G650GS. I have not had a chance to ride the G650GS;; the h.p. and torque curve seem lacking on the it, according to the spec's.

So, the 1200GS certainly has the "looks", curb appeal, brag factor, and pride factor; and I love it.

However, I am seriously looking at how I want to ride, where I want to ride, and trying to figure out which bike will do it, given my physique.

I can only "afford" to have one bike, and really it is a tough, tough decision to make. And unfortunately and fortunately, it is my decision.
I just hate making choices I later regret! As I am sure everyone else does too.

I also live in Vancouver, BC area - so rain and cold weather is another consideration.

Wow, that is a lot of sharing! Maybe I should be on Facebook :) (NOT!)

Bottom line: Try out a few bikes, sort through what 90% of your riding is "really" going to be vs desiring/dreaming to be, and make a choice. Good luck.

If anyone wants to chime in on the pros and cons of the different models, I always enjoy reading things that people with "actual" experience on a variety of these models have to say.

Love my GS too!

My first BMW experience was owning a '06 GS and an '08 RT at the same time. The RT was a great bike, but every time I went riding I chose the GS and the RT gathered dust. I liked the RT, but I LOVED the GS.

I rode the '06 GS for a couple years and bought a very nice used '12 GS. After a couple of years with the '12 GS I bought a new '16 GSA. Each one of my GS's has been comfortable (once the OEM saddle is converted into a Russell Day Long), fast, handles great and can easily handle gravel roads and water crossings in the national forests. Given its big panniers and large cargo deck, the GS or GSA makes a superb touring bike and is equally at home on smooth mountain twisties, along a dirt fire road or passing semi's on an interstate.

I cannot imagine riding anything other than a GS.

I also went from a 2013 rt to a new triple black Gs. It is the low suspension. I wanted a GS when I got the RT back in2013, but the low suspension GS back then was still too tall for me. Since the water cooled engine, the GS has gotten lower, and I can almost flat foot the low suspension, especially since I put Jesse bags on..:)

I don't plan on serious off roading...only a few fire roads and the occasion gravel when camping or sometimes roadwork areas. I have 2300 miles on it now and love it. I added risers, and shaved the seat a bit. Love this bike!!

Mounting From the Right vrs the Left

I have a 2015 GSA, standard suspension and I was just curious how others mount their bike when stepping on the foot pegs.

The OP mentioned he goes at it from the left, but I've always reasoned its better on the right to avoid stressing the side stand. I can usually kick a leg high enough to mount, but with the side cases there are those times when its just easier to step on the peg and swing a leg over.

I grab both grips, squeeze the hand brake unless the bike is on a level surface, place right foot on the right peg, and in one smooth continuous move step up and swing my left leg over.

I've never had a time when I felt the bike was in danger of falling over, but you probably wouldn't want to linger on the right peg longer than you need to.

The triple black is awesome. They had one sitting right there next to mine but in the end I went with the white for being cooler in the desert heat. I really liked the black wheels.

I have a 2015 GSA, standard suspension and I was just curious how others mount their bike when stepping on the foot pegs.

The OP mentioned he goes at it from the left, but I've always reasoned its better on the right to avoid stressing the side stand. I can usually kick a leg high enough to mount, but with the side cases there are those times when its just easier to step on the peg and swing a leg over.

I grab both grips, squeeze the hand brake unless the bike is on a level surface, place right foot on the right peg, and in one smooth continuous move step up and swing my left leg over.

I've never had a time when I felt the bike was in danger of falling over, but you probably wouldn't want to linger on the right peg longer than you need to.

Well the dealer actually told about standing on the left peg. They said that the side stand is very strong and easily would handle my 200 lb weight. I haven't considered mounting from the right. Is that a more typical way it's done? I'll try it after I get my AltRider crash bars installed.

Well the dealer actually told about standing on the left peg. They said that the side stand is very strong and easily would handle my 200 lb weight. I haven't considered mounting from the right. Is that a more typical way it's done? I'll try it after I get my AltRider crash bars installed.

I grew up on a ranch. You only mount horses from the left side. That has carried with me.
Everything I have read is mount a MC from the left.
I told put my left foot on the peg, lift up my body and swing my leg over.

I find it strange every time I see a cruiser rider mount from the right side; it just looks wrong. (IMO).

I have tried to mount from the right and see several benefits, but so far it feels unnatural to me also. Seems safer since you dismount and mount away from traffic (here in the States). I have worn a little spot on my RDL seat where I catch my boot on the high point of the seat when mounting with my bags and backrest in place, and mounting from the right gets my leg over the high point first instead of last and seems to avoid the rub. Hadn't even considered the weight transfer putting less stress on the side stand and allowing mounting by standing on the peg (which I avoid from the left).

I had a 2003 R1150RT and kept it for 12 years, but with my 36" inseam, my new 2015 R1200GS is the bike for me. It's nimble, has cruise control, and the ergo's are just right for me (with the BMW optional "tall seat.")

I can flat-foot a GSA, but I preferred the GS, so that's what I got.

Harry

Interesting technique; I will have to try that.

Also, Clinton Smout, who has a series of riding videos, discusses mounting a fully loaded bike, and I suspect, one could start this way as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeBOvLQcmwQ

Back