Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Using Universal X mount for iPhone on Bike?

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar

Anybody Using Universal X mount for iPhone on Bike?

SO, I'm thinking about my cell phone as satnav device for the K12RS. There is what seems to be a 1" (or very close to 1") ball already in place. looking at the Ram Mount (made in USA) Universal X mount. I see they use a silicone "tether". Guess I need a ball-to-ball clamp also.

Anyone already using this gear for navigating their way around the continent/planet?

FYI I have an iphone 6s with a slim line Pelican Voyager outer case.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

I use an X-mount with my Samsung Galaxy in waterproof case. I don't use the tether. The phone stays put quite well and I've not seen it slip no matter the bump I go over. I've used it for navigation a few times. The screen can be hard to read in direct sunlight but audio is good if you've got earbuds or some kind of helmet sound setup.

I use it with my iPhone 5s, holds it well. I know a few others that use it and love it.
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 Suzuki XN85 D Turbo

wanderer
    I've used a bit larger version of the X mount for my over the counter Garmin. I did put a heavy rubber band across a couple of the knobs. Not sure I needed to do that but I felt better. Up across Nova Scotia, Newfound Land and Labrador and back. worked great.

Sometimes I use my Galaxy Note 3 in an Otter box for navigation. Since it's almost always set on the highest brightness level and I use turn-by-turn nav instructions, power consumption is pretty high. Higher than the USB connector in the glove box of my 2011 R1200RT can keep up with. Several hours into a trip and the phone is nearly dead. I've taken to using a couple of other sources of power to keep the phone charged.

I use a RAM arm with the X mount, in the "tablet size" because the case and phone are so large. I always use a tether I made from a piece of cord that's tied to the RAM arm. I've never had it bounce out, but after hearing several anecdotes from some who have had their phone come loose, I'm aware that it can happen and I'd just as soon not lose my phone on the road. Their silicone tether is a good idea and it doesn't cover any significant part of the screen, unlike my cord, but I'm happy with my arrangement.

Schmails
    I use the X-mount for my IPhone 6 in a Speck case. Works well, but I did need to glue the rubber holding doohickeys in place, as they would slip forward from the metal frame. Fixed it. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Greetings from the Philadelphia Suburbs.
    '11 R1200RT Ostra Gray

I've only had mine a very short time but my Galaxy Note 5 fits in it quite snugly with a Samsung case on it.

I glued the rubber bumpers on using the glue provided - be careful that stuff is a pain to get off of your fingers.

I have had issues using the Note 5 for navigation in the past, it gets pretty darn hot and will shut down occasionally, I've heard others having similar issues with other phones.

Ski

I've been using one for 2 years on my r90/6 with an iPhone 5S - no problems. Fwiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
    SO, I'm thinking about my cell phone as satnav device for the K12RS. There is what seems to be a 1" (or very close to 1") ball already in place. looking at the Ram Mount (made in USA) Universal X mount. I see they use a silicone "tether". .
    I looked at a X Mount a couple years ago to use on my bicycle. I decided against it because I was affraid the phone would slide out when hitting a hard bump.
    Now that they have a silicone tether it should be secure.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I use the RAM X-Mount for my iPhone on my RT. I bought the tether and used it for a while, but it's a bit of a pain in the neck to have to attach it when you get back on your moto. So, I bought a package of metal plates, which includes a couple of disks that are almost exactly the same size as the RAM logo sticker on the X-Mount. I replaced it with one of the metal disks, which has a 3M adhesive backing, so that the magnetic Night-Ize car mount device I have on the phone would stick magnetically to the disk (is everyone following along? ).

This provides a means of backup attachment that gives me a little more peace of mind. The phone is rock solid in the X-Mount with this setup, and I don't have to fiddle around with the tether. This would work with any of the magnetic phone mount devices that are on the market.

Link for the metal plates: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used the spring-loaded RAM mount shown below for two years now with both the iPhone 4 and (currently) 6. There's no way the phone's going to fall out without the whole mount being broken off.

John
    2014 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by pradinc View Post
    I have used the spring-loaded RAM mount shown below for two years now with both the iPhone 4 and (currently) 6. There's no way the phone's going to fall out without the whole mount being broken off.
    This is what I use on the bicycle. Very easy and fast to place the phone in the mount, and remove.

https://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAM-HO...for+motorcycle
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

RamMount for use on Brake Fluid cover?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows the part number for a Ram Mount base that will fit the 2016 R1200RT brake fluid reservoir? I've fitted my bike with the pipe clamps and mounted a Ram Ball with the GS mirrors but I don't care for how in-my-face the phone is with the xmount. I'd like be able to mount my phone deeper into the fairing cavity, if possible. I've attached a pic of my current set up.

I talked to Ram Mounts and they suggested http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378U which is an adhesive mount, anybody used one on a motorcycle? I've used similar products in cars before but I'm concerned about the exposure to the elements.

Thanks,
    Ski
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skibumwi; 07-18-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added info from Ram Mounts phone call.

I use a MultiPod Adapter (http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/1250269.html). It replaces the bolt that holds the grip and switch assembly in the handle bar; works on either side.
    If you use a Ram system, replace the bolt with a 1/4X20 thread (I think) RAM ball (RAM-B-237U); then use a double socket arm.
    Karl
    2016 R1200RT-LC San Marino Blue (The Alien)
    2008 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic (Wife's) - Traded
    2014 1600 GTL Gray-Traded; 2011 R1200RT Black/Silver-Traded

That looks great! I just added the Ilium bar riser to my bike yesterday so I hope I can still use this.

I do find it interesting that no mention of Torque values is made and, as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be any way to put a torque wrench on the adapter.

Ski