• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

S1000rr help - EPA and DOT stickers

RPOWORSKI

I have a 2011 S1000RR that I bought new in Canada. I have since moved to Texas and want to import it. However the agent needs a picture of the EPA and DOT stickers (or a letter from BMW stating it meets the regulations).

There aren't a lot of places to look, but could someone who has them on their bike let me know where they are? I suspect BMW is going to want a couple hundred dollars for the letter. I have been trying to contact them but I get no response from email. Just like when I had my R1150Rt and the final drive kept piling up - another story another day.

Thanks for any and all help.

Richard.

Welcome to the forum, Richard! Hopefully someone can whip out their cellphone and get you some information!!

Welcome to the forum!
Did you check up on the VIN plate? Usually on the steering neck?
Good luck.
Gary

Not the best picture. This is on a R1200RS.

Guess you can't read it when I attach it. At least it gives you a idea where to look.

Attachments

• Build Date.jpg
    Build Date.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 123
Thanks all

I found the plate mentioned, however it doesn't have a USA epa/dot rating. I contacted BMW usa and they say I have to take the bike in to get certified by an emissions tester - big $$$.

I find it amazing that the bike does not conform to the US epa/ dot specs when it had to meet the Canadian ones.

Or is BMW just giving me the run around?

As a loyal and long term customer, I expected more assistance than a couple web site links.

Moto Guzzi was much more helpful when I asked them for the similar information.

Check under the seat or other protected frame/fender area for the EPA sticker?
Here's the MAX link - http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=54122&rnd=07012015
and you want diagram 71_0844
B0007877.png
01 71 22 8 525 146 LABEL "NOISE INSTRUCTION" - USA (08/11 to 08/12)
02 71 22 8 525 177 LABEL "EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION" - USA (08/11 to 08/12)
03 71 24 7 710 807 TYPE PLATE - USA
NOT FOR VEHICLES WITH FORGED WHEELS (CODE: X275A) :
04 71 24 7 710 812 LABEL "TIRES" - USA / CANADA

Even if the bike actually meets EPA specs, BMW never certified it to meet US standards because it was to be sold in Canada. They don't certify non-US bikes to US standards since certification costs them money. They certainly will not certify it now since it's no longer their bike and has been out of their control for several years. That's probably true of any manufacturer. Usually it's much simpler to sell the bike in it's home country and purchase another. The alternative is to contract with an independent commercial importer to have the bike te$ted.

See Importing a non-U.S. version / non conforming vehicle or car into the U.S.

Down a few threads you will see:

Recall News: BMW Recalls Late-Model S1000RR and S1000R Motorcycles for Suspension Issues
This is another reason to prevent bringing Canada bikes, if it is recalled BMW USA does not necessarily know it is here. If the recalled part failed, lawsuit.

The famous 500 dollar letter also probable covers entering the numbers into the database for the country. And of course some profit.

I don't blame them for avoiding the hassle.

Rod

Back