• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Starting Issues

rkitts119722

I have a 2001 1150GS and when I'm trying to start it up it turns over very slowly. I thought it was the battery, even though it would take a full charge. So I got a new battery and it did the same labored cranking, but it did start. It runs fine and even when it's fully warmed up the same slow turn over! I used to tap the start button when it was warmed up and it would fire right up. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have a 2001 1150GS and when I'm trying to start it up it turns over very slowly. I thought it was the battery, even though it would take a full charge. So I got a new battery and it did the same labored cranking, but it did start. It runs fine and even when it's fully warmed up the same slow turn over! I used to tap the start button when it was warmed up and it would fire right up. Any suggestions? Thanks

Maybe a poor connection. Maybe starter drag from a loose magnet or a worn nose bushing.

Starter

Use some car jumper cables and jump from the ground on the battery to a good ground on the battery. If the starter turns over faster replace the ground cable on the bike. If that don't get the job done pull the starter and blow it out with high pressure air. You can take it to your auto parts store and they can test the starter. If it passes that test along with with Paul Glaves suggestions then lubricate it real good with graphite and try it on the bike. If you need a starter find a new one on ebay. BMW is real proud of their starters.

Back