• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS vs RT Riding position

skibumwi

All,

I've purchased a '16 R1200RT but am having quite a bit of back, knee, and hip pain. I've posted a different tread discussing the peg-lowering and seat-raising options that I', exploring but I'm also thinking that I may just need to admit that the RT might not have been the correct choice for me.

Can anyone provide me with a comparison of the riding positions between the GS and the RT? Is the Peg-to-seat height the same? Is the tank any narrower where my knees would be? Are the pegs set any further forward or back between the two bikes? What about the handlebar positioning?

I know I'd be sitting higher, I'd just like to understand if there are any positional differences.

Thanks,
Ski

I had the same issues and ended up having to install risers and peg lowering blocks. The GS I only rode once iirc it was much more upright, narrow in the knees and feet felt about the same.

Based on a showroom test sit, the RT's "ergo triangle" is very much more compact than a GS's. That is, the peg to seat distance is noticeably shorter on the RT, and the rider leans farther forward. Of course that "triangle" is closer to the ground too, but I understand that's not your question. Another spec that might affect back/neck/shoulder comfort is the width of the handlebar - hands far apart while sitting upright seems more comfortable to me. (I've always wondered, but never really checked into it, whether the bars could be safely rotated a little to provide a different shoulder feel).

Can anyone provide me with a comparison of the riding positions between the GS and the RT? Is the Peg-to-seat height the same? Is the tank any narrower where my knees would be? Are the pegs set any further forward or back between the two bikes? What about the handlebar positioning?

http://cycle-ergo.com/ is designed to help answer these types of questions. Be sure to expand and adjust the options on the right side.

One thing that many folks forget when comparing the RT to the GS is that if you typically have your RT seat set to the low position (like me for my 30" inseam) than simply setting it to the high position changes the ergonomics some. You still won't be sitting as high as on a GS, nor will the angles be as "relaxed", but that is, to some degree, the difference between the ergonomics for a Sport-Touring bike and a Dual-Sport/Adventure bike. I've done 600-700 mile days on both and the RT provides far more wind, weather and nosie protection while the GS has a more laid-back/upright position. For me, for touring, the RT adjusted to your specific ergo needs can't be beat.

One thing that many folks forget when comparing the RT to the GS is that if you typically have your RT seat set to the low position (like me for my 30" inseam) than simply setting it to the high position changes the ergonomics some. You still won't be sitting as high as on a GS, nor will the angles be as "relaxed", but that is, to some degree, the difference between the ergonomics for a Sport-Touring bike and a Dual-Sport/Adventure bike. I've done 600-700 mile days on both and the RT provides far more wind, weather and nosie protection while the GS has a more laid-back/upright position. For me, for touring, the RT adjusted to your specific ergo needs can't be beat.

I have the high seat option in the high position that that gets me close enough to ideal ergos for someone 6'4" tall w/ 35" inseam for all day comfort on an RTLC. This is the magic in this bike: it is excellent as a tourer and brings in enough sport prowess to make any kind of pavement a total joy on this bike. Can't imagine a better true all-arounder, one-bike solution, for any type of pavement.

All,

I've purchased a '16 R1200RT but am having quite a bit of back, knee, and hip pain. I've posted a different tread discussing the peg-lowering and seat-raising options that I', exploring but I'm also thinking that I may just need to admit that the RT might not have been the correct choice for me.

I know I'd be sitting higher, I'd just like to understand if there are any positional differences.

Thanks,
Ski

I can’t fit my legs in the tank “cutout” on the RT. I’m 6’5” w/ a 36–37” inseam. I have a GSA. LOVE the handling of the RT. BUT, doesn’t fit my frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 6'2" w/34 inch inseam. I added Ilium Works bar risers to my '14 RT. That made a world of difference in my long distance comfort because it caused me to straighten my back and have less of a reach to the bars.

The best ergos I ever experienced--for my body---was my 2004 1150 GSA. Damn, I wish I had held onto that bike.

I have had 3 RT's 2007,2010,2014. I had the bad shock and used the opportunity to get a 2014 GSA. To me the RT was more compact position and the GSA is a little more roomy. I did put bar risers on the GSA. I do not think I will go back the RT. I am 6'1" 34 inseam. I can sit flat footed but not by much. I think you would fair better on a GSA, I can not comment on a standard GS as I have not owned one.

That ergonomics link was pretty good, but maybe consider going to a BMW showroom (or other brand) and have someone take side profile pics of you sitting on different styles of motorcycles. My friend is starting to have back and shoulder issues on his RS. To illustrate the difference in different styles of bikes, I took side profile pics of him on his RS, my GSA, and another riders FJR 1300. It was amazing to see the differences in forward lean, hand width and knee bend angle as we scrolled through those pics.

Funny but I have both an RTW and a 2012 GSA. The RTW is definitely a more compact riding position while the GSA has significantly more legroom. That being said the irony is I am as comfortable or more comfortable on the RTW then on the GSA. I was shocked to find that on my 21 day trip last summer the RTW was comfortable the whole time. I am 6'3" tall with a 35 inch inseam and find the RTW more comfortable than my 2006 RT which had a bit more legroom. Basically I guess my point is comfort and riding position and comfort may be very individual and specific to your own personal make up. Unfortunately the only real way to determine personal comfort or lack there of is to ride a 200 or 300 mile day.

Back