• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shock Sticker Shock

lmo1131

I had a flat Friday afternnon and pulled the wheel; while I was at it I noticed that all the rubber bushings (silent blocks) on the shock eyelets are weathered and split.

Replacement bushings for the shocks are available so I tore down the shocks to check the "rebound" and found that while the struts (both) are not "easily" pulled out it isn't "hard" to either. I pressed out the bushings, but maybe it's just time to replace the OEM Boges on my LWB/5.

$400 per side, for an equivalent, seems to be the going rate... and a bit of a surprise. What else is out there, for less? Are Hagons it?

Wilbers, Ikon, etc. would be nice but the budget right now is kind of stretched, it's supporting two motorcycles, and the other one needs five new shocks too.

Lew -

If/when I get around to replacing the shocks on my /7, I'll either go with Tom Cutter or Ted Porter. I'm leaning towards Tom. I think they both will customize the settings for you particular weight, carriage, and riding style.

I tore down the shocks to check the "rebound" and found that while the struts (both) are not "easily" pulled out it isn't "hard" to either.

The strut compresses quite easily. Pulling the strut back out isn't too hard, but how "hard" should it be?

Is there a "definitive" way to measure this? Maybe hang the compressed shock with a weight on the end of it, and clock the time it takes for the strut to reach the end of its stroke? :dunno

I'm riding about sixty miles round trip to work every day, and the sidecar's occupying the weekends so straightening out twisties on the /5 doesn't happen too much anymore. $400 a pop isn't too attractive right now. The "performance" of these old Boges isn't really that bad, which is totally subjective, right?

Thinkin' maybe just press in new bushings and be done with it.

33531230258_1_B.jpg

Motorcycles ain't designed for economy, and that includes the Poverty Riders. I know, it's a depressing hard lesson to learn. Good luck with your economy rebuild. Been there, done that. :)

fwiw, shocks have a useful life of about 30-50K miles, max. At that point, either rebuild or replace. With top line shocks, they should probably get rebuilt every 20-35K miles.
Which is to say, if you're running original stock shocks on a /7, you've probably already sucked every bit of life out of them that was ever there. It's time for their funeral.

$hocked?

So was I!
I spent $500.00 on Works shocks for my '76R90/6 and was so happy with the result I spent another $500.00 on a RaceTech GoldValve upgrade fork rebuild. OUCH!
That was about 40,000 miles ago. I am about to send them in for a service/rebuild.
In hindsight, I would put the next step up on the shocks, (fully adjustable, piggyback reservoir) about $700.00 at that time.
There's little noticable difference in handling on the freeways, but a huge improvement in the mountain/hilly coastal range twisties where I ride the most.
Having said that, I know better riders, more knowledgeable than I in all things Airhead, that are Hagon/Ikon disciples.
The replacement shocks I would get if on a tight budget would still be from a shop like Ted or Toms.
Today very good shocks can be had for a reasonable price, the "set-up" is the key.
Someone posted in another thread they got some Hagons for $200.00 a pair, with the proper spring set-up.
A 2x4 wood be more better than those Bogesinkers / Bogestinkers? you have now.

Last edited:
For an airhead Hagon shocks are a great value. Contact Dave Quinn and he'll take the time to quiz you on weight, riding style, equipment, etc. I have bought a couple of sets of Hagons and have no hesitation endorsing the quality of the build or service.

Ted Porter's Beemershop had the best price for Ikon's when I replaced my 44 year old rusty beasts last year. Added a bit for the covers, but they look and perform well. Wish I would have sprayed the inside of the covers with some trunk paint or something though, they 'ring' at certain RPM's against the springs when stopped. Not really a big deal, but hindsight.

Last edited:
Ted Porter's Beemershop had the best price for Ikon's when I replace my 44 year old rusty beasts last year. Added a bit for the covers, but they look and perform well. Wish I would have sprayed the inside of the covers with some trunk paint or something though, they 'ring' at certain RPM's against the springs when stopped. Not really a big deal, but hindsight.

My Hagons ring too at certain times along the road....

Well, soon enough I'll finally replace the shocks on my '75 R60 (bought it new) - let's see, how many years has it been?

From what I can ascertain about your situation, the high end shocks are out of your price point at the moment. Your best bet is a set of Ikons or Progressive Suspension shocks. This brand may even have several different styles of shocks that fit your bike. Time to web search more info on them.

Ordered a pair of Ikons from Ted Porter this morning, no covers (although I really like the appearance of the OEM parts, but $200...).

Now all I need is five shocks for the Dnepr and I'll be set.

Thanks for the feedback Meine Herren!

Last edited:
Ikons went right on. I did have to turn a couple of 3/8" spacers to jack the lower Krauser legs outboard; just a tad too snug between the spring coils and the mounting tubes. Other than that, love'em

Replaced my R100RT shock

I had to replace my '91 shock @36K miles. I had sticker shock, too! I did some searching around and contacted Pro-Shock, spoke to a great guy there who had sympathy for me. He told me to send him my old shock, and he would build me a re-build able one for less than half what BMW wanted for another non-rebuild able one. I even asked him to lower it by an inch, which he did. I now have 124,500 miles on it, and it is still going strong. I am very happy with it, and am glad my bike has the one sided swing arm, so I only needed one! I seriously considered trying to be a middle-man for them and the m.c. Community, as they don't really (at least they didn't at the time) do shocks for motorcycles. I am not sure if they do now or not.
The original shock, when it went, became like a po-go stick real fast! Anyone want me to be a middle-man to help, call me. 716-525-4900. Sid

Might want to check in on sovietsteeds.com if you haven't already. Seems the Hagon's get really good ratings. Just not cheap.

Might want to check in on sovietsteeds.com if you haven't already.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot to choose from for Ural/Dnepr. NOS OEM Russian, Sachs, or Hagons seem to be about it. It'll be five Hagons for the Dnepr when I get to it (leading link).

Lmo

Back