Thread: 2005 K1200S Metal Wires on Magnetic Drain Plug

2005 K1200S Metal Wires on Magnetic Drain Plug

I changed my oil for the first time myself yesterday (July 2nd) on my recently acquired 2005 K1200S. When I removed the crankcase oil drain plug I was horrified to see several metal wires attached to the drain plug magnet. I have attached a photo of these.

I searched micro-fiche of my engine and could not identify what these might be. If anyone knows what they are I would be grateful for your help.

I absolutely love this bike but am afraid to ride it after discovering this.

Ride safe,
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum dkm

Not what one wants to see for sure, looks like it was a retaining clip.
    Are those small epoxy ends on those two pieces? Looks red in one pic
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Retaining Clip

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. There is no epoxy on the pieces. The one you are referring to is a small flattened piece of the wire, like it went through a gear. My thought was also that it is the remains of a retaining clip, but to what? Also, I don't understand why I can't find it on the micro-fiche.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Welcome to the forum dkm

Not what one wants to see for sure, looks like it was a retaining clip.
    Are those small epoxy ends on those two pieces? Looks red in one pic

Quote Originally Posted by dkmbmwmoa View Post
    My thought was also that it is the remains of a retaining clip, but to what? Also, I don't understand why I can't find it on the micro-fiche.
    Welcome to the forum David.
    I also looked at the fiche without any luck.
    If no one here knows where the clip came from, you can check the I-BMW forum. A lot of K1200 and K1300 owners there.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/index.php?

Here's the section to post technical questions for the K1200S.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Do the pieces look like they originally belonged together? Can you lay them out in that original shape? If that's the case, you might be able to better "see" what the clip/wire is for.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

New Photo

Kurt,

Thank you for your reply. I have laid out the pieces in 2 configurations.

Also, I was talking to Dennis, the owner of Santa Rosa BMW, today and he asked me if I noticed anything different in the shifting thinking it may be a spring from the trans. At the time I didn't think of it but several months ago I was on my morning commute and I noticed the gear shift indicator jumping around from gear to gear on my display though I remained in the same gear. When I arrived to the parking lot at work the display no longer read what gear I was in, and the neutral light would not light up. This condition lasted a couple of days then started working again and has worked since. Could this broken part have something to do with the gear shift indicator mechanism?

David

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Do the pieces look like they originally belonged together? Can you lay them out in that original shape? If that's the case, you might be able to better "see" what the clip/wire is for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I-BMW.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Welcome to the forum David.
    I also looked at the fiche without any luck.
    If no one here knows where the clip came from, you can check the I-BMW forum. A lot of K1200 and K1300 owners there.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/index.php?

Here's the section to post technical questions for the K1200S.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    Lee,

Thanks for your tip. I posted to the I-BMW site as you suggested.

Thanks,
    David

Looks like half of the headlight bulb retainer clip...though the chance of that finding its way into the sump is way out there
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Looks like half of the headlight bulb retainer clip...though the chance of that finding its way into the sump is way out there
    That was mentioned on I-BMW.
    If the clip did find its way into the oil tank is it possible to pass into the engine?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

David
    It looks like you have your answer in post #10 on i-BMW.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=58067
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I-BMW.com Post Identified the Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    David
    It looks like you have your answer in post #10 on i-BMW.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=58067
    Lee,

Yes, this was the spot-on post:

That piece of metal is from the clutch and was used to hold a flat spring ( belvill ? ) washer that
    Allowed for a more extended engagement of the clutch. They almost all broke or popped out and there may have been a recall to repair it. You should ask a dealer that goes back that far what was the fix. I removed mine as soon as I knew about it. Mine was still in place at 5 k miles. I removed the wire and belville washer and never looked back.as near as I could tell it didn't do any thing except break and cause problems, clutch worked fine without it. My 2005 had it and my 2007 had a different setup to do the same thing. My k1300s also has the belville washer but not the wire.
    Hope this helps
    H

Thanks for your tip to go to the I-BMW.COM forum.

David