Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Nav V - am I missing something

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    Ummm, which lead was that?????

Ski
    Here is link to thread where I show some pictures. Hope this helps.
    2015 R1200RT San Marino Blue

Ed Kilner #176066

Cardo Low Volume Fix

I have a Nav V and can hear the GPS and music very well using the Cardo G9. in my Shoei Neotec.

This is the case only after installing a cardo accessory - a pair of speaker spacer pads that move the speakers about a quarter inch or so towards my ears. These really improved the volume.

These are available from the Cardo accessory pages. Since they are a bit difficult to find, here is a link:

https://nastore.cardosystems.com/ins...ories-c34.aspx

Couple of bucks gets you two, buy 4 to be sure...
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Just in case this hasn't been mentioned.

Discovered today, that even a NAV V docked in an RT will allow me to access the Music loaded on the NAV V with a cardo schuberth headset simply by pressing and holding the A button on the cardo. It circumvents the Bike Dock, Bike Audio protocol with no pins to cover up.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Discovered today, that even a NAV V docked in an RT will allow me to access the Music loaded on the NAV V with a cardo schuberth headset simply by pressing and holding the A button on the cardo. It circumvents the Bike Dock, Bike Audio protocol with no pins to cover up.
    Very cool, wonder if I can do that with my Sena 20S. What does the A button on the Cardo normally do?

Ski

I think he is just pairing directly to the GPS and not to the bike BT.

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    Very cool, wonder if I can do that with my Sena 20S. What does the A button on the Cardo normally do?

Ski
    The A button is a Unicom channel as is the B button (used for connecting to other riders). The B button always had the secondary feature of press and hold FM radio (multifunction button). The A button apparently has a multifunction use also.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    I think he is just pairing directly to the GPS and not to the bike BT.
    I was paired with both the NAV V and the bike.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I paid $5 for the weather radar option and it's a one time fee.
    The weather alerts suck.

About every 6 minutes it pushed a repeated 'alert' --a small craft advisory (LOL), a frost advisory, a freeze warning-- that puts a yellow bar across the top of the unit and interrupts other bluetooth devices using the link with a beep, drawing the riders eyes from the road.

These 'alerts' are intrusive, repetative, unnecessary, and dangerously distracting while riding. So far as I know, they can't be tuned (e.g. to filter out small craft advisories & other marine warnings), or disabled once purchased (unless expiry counts).

Don't waste $4.99 unless Garmin and/or BMW Motorrad fixes this poorly though out, dangerous implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoulman View Post
    The weather alerts suck.

About every 6 minutes it pushed a repeated 'alert' --a small craft advisory (LOL), a frost advisory, a freeze warning-- that puts a yellow bar across the top of the unit and interrupts other bluetooth devices using the link with a beep, drawing the riders eyes from the road.

These 'alerts' are intrusive, repetative, unnecessary, and dangerously distracting while riding. So far as I know, they can't be tuned (e.g. to filter out small craft advisories & other marine warnings), or disabled once purchased (unless expiry counts).

Don't waste $4.99 unless Garmin and/or BMW Motorrad fixes this poorly though out, dangerous implementation.
    Agreed. But I've also received severe thunderstorm and tornado warning which were very very important. I wish I could filter the useless ones, but I'll take the annoying alerts for the important ones.

Works well, but does have it's short comings.

My biggest disappoint came after purchasing the unit (October 2015) for my 2016 R1200RTW. We discovered a few items that even the dealer did not know. 1) My Motorcycle functionality only works on a GS. Really? Lame! 2) The Track Me option did not work and I had to work with Garmin TS to get it going. Great! However, the Track Me function only works when integrated with the Garmin smartphone app when paired with the Nav V. That means when you invite someone to track you it, will stop as soon as you are out of cell coverage. 3) Yes, I agree it does seem a bit clunky (as in old school user interface). The keyboard is way slow to respond to the touch. 4) when searching remember to put in a location close to where you want it to search first, THEN enter a business or address. It's that little blue box in the upper right hand corner.

I do like the weather app... but have not purchased the traffic app since I routinely avoid high traffic roads. I can use google maps to supplement that for occasional heavy traffic.

One thing to remember when comparing Nav V to google maps... your Nav V will work where there is NO cell coverage (think middle of Nevada). I find it is always best to have a good old detailed paper map when planning a route along with the GPS anyway. The Nav V is robust and designed for rough and damp service.... cell phone - not so much.

Lastly, my Nav V quit after 10 months of use or about 15,000 miles. Sad, but that is electronics. Perhaps I just got a bad unit. Would only boot when operating stand-alone. Once connected to the bike, or the pc, it would just continually reboot. Garmin TS was fantastic, they sent me a prepaid UPS label, and as soon as they received the unit, a new one arrived a few days later. No complaints on their customer warranty service.

I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Agreed. But I've also received severe thunderstorm and tornado warning which were very very important. I wish I could filter the useless ones, but I'll take the annoying alerts for the important ones.
    I agree about the useless warnings.... small craft advisory warnings when I am 50 miles from the ocean... come on its a GPS and should know if I'm on a large body of water. Also Fire Weather Warnings... yea I can smell the smoke and I don't ride down the road tossing lit matches! I's love to be able to limit the warnings to just weather.

Quote Originally Posted by mtzgrr1951 View Post
    My biggest disappoint came after purchasing the unit (October 2015) for my 2016 R1200RTW. We discovered a few items that even the dealer did not know. 1) My Motorcycle functionality only works on a GS. Really? .
    It works on the R1200RS.
    You need to have the Computer Pro option.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT