• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recalled Snowflake?

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
I have a Recalled Snowflake Front 19" is it worth anything? Or is it a wall hanger?

I don't have the bike it came from, so I can't take it back to BMW for a replacement.

Maybe I will make a clock out of it! ;>)

I can't sell it as a useable wheel.

Darryl -

I wouldn't be too sure about BMW not working on the wheel. I'd certainly ask...you never know. As it is now, the answer is NO, and it still might be NO even if you ask, but... :dunno

I just picked up an R80RT, technically an R80/7 that is a huge basket case. It's needing loving right to the bones. It has Snowflakes and one of the reasons why I was attracted to it. It doesn't look abused/dropped but very neglected.

Can someone fill me in on the recall?

If I recall correctly the wording of the recall went something like this. "On high mileage bike that have been ridden on rough roads there is a chance of front wheel failure." The fix was to replace the front wheel with one that had reinforcement added to it. It is a noticeable difference in the two wheels. I don't know exactly how to describe it.

It's for front wheel 19" wheels up to about 1982 bikes. Check the link in my signature line and find the recall section. There's a link there to Snowbum's website which has all the details. There's also a link there to the federal recall campaign if you want to read all the tiny print!!

No!!

Crap, mine is an original Snowflake.

What can I do now? What are the chances that I can get a replacement under the recall?

Crap, mine is an original Snowflake.

What can I do now? What are the chances that I can get a replacement under the recall?

Take bike and wheel to a dealer. They are supposed to honor the recall as it should never expire. Not sure if it was on that website, but there is a letter to Canadian dealers that can be referenced so being "up north" shouldn't be an issue.

As Snowbum probably wrote, be sure that the bearing replacement is done correctly...there must be proper preload on the bearings.

I just picked up an R80RT, technically an R80/7 that is a huge basket case. It's needing loving right to the bones. It has Snowflakes and one of the reasons why I was attracted to it. It doesn't look abused/dropped but very neglected.

I, too, liked the snowflakes.

See attached bulletin regarding the Snowflake Replacement.

I've never experienced a failed recall wheel. I have over 80k miles on mine with no fractures, or damage of any kind. If you do decide on the replacement direction make SURE the dealer has CORRECTLY lubed and preloaded your wheel bearing in the replacement wheel. As Kurt has mentioned ... Chances are you're in more danger from a replacement wheel hub and bearing stack that has not been properly set-up through the replacement process than the original wheel exploding on you.

Attachments

• 3602284 2117 Wheel Recall.pdf
    142.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back