Thread: How is it holding up

Riding for the SON

How is it holding up

How is your F twin holding up. Mine is doing very well thank you. At. 147,000 miles and going strong. Stators is the only engine failure so far. May need to replace clutch soon though. Almost no oil usage. Speed indicator has quit, but GPS takes care of that. Odometer is still working. I am a happy camper so far.

Good to hear. Annie has two bikes with the 800 engine. Failed stator on the F800GS at 30k miles, replaced under warranty Repeated plugged injectors on the F650GS at 12k miles that was traced to metal filings in the fuel pump, replaced under warranty; also at 42k miles the water pump began weeping a small amount of oil from the weep hole, living with it at the moment.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Thanks for reporting in
    147K seems to indicate that I can have mine for quite some time.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I have 44,000 kms on my 09 GS, many of them have been hard ones. First clutch went out at around 10K, replaced with the revised design with the increased free play adjustment. Lots of hard use on that clutch and I think its nearing it's end as I'm running very short of cable adjustment room. Other than that I've had no issues, just routine maintenance and trail damage.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Voni's '07 F800S has 92,000 miles. Two failures: the stator failed, replaced with an aftermarket one, and the rear axle tube failed at 60,000 miles. Later bikes had a redesigned axle tube.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hats off to the high milers on this thread!

A little off topic, but how might one predict a pending stator failure? Or is it a matter of replacing after a certain # of miles?

TIA
    Dave
    Dave
    '92 K75S, '08 F800ST, '14 F700GS
    Cedar Falls, IA

In our case there were no warning signs the stator was failing, at least none that I noticed. Stator failures seemed to arise only in the past few years. It is my understanding that there was a design change that resulted in a reduction in the cooling of the stator, and that the design was changed again to correct the problem. It is not something you want to pay to replace out of your own pocket. If I recall correctly it was around $1200.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana