• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How is it holding up

ROYBARNES

Riding for the SON
How is your F twin holding up. Mine is doing very well thank you. At. 147,000 miles and going strong. Stators is the only engine failure so far. May need to replace clutch soon though. Almost no oil usage. Speed indicator has quit, but GPS takes care of that. Odometer is still working. I am a happy camper so far.

Good to hear. Annie has two bikes with the 800 engine. Failed stator on the F800GS at 30k miles, replaced under warranty Repeated plugged injectors on the F650GS at 12k miles that was traced to metal filings in the fuel pump, replaced under warranty; also at 42k miles the water pump began weeping a small amount of oil from the weep hole, living with it at the moment.

Thanks for reporting in :thumb
147K seems to indicate that I can have mine for quite some time.
OM

I have 44,000 kms on my 09 GS, many of them have been hard ones. First clutch went out at around 10K, replaced with the revised design with the increased free play adjustment. Lots of hard use on that clutch and I think its nearing it's end as I'm running very short of cable adjustment room. Other than that I've had no issues, just routine maintenance and trail damage.

Voni's '07 F800S has 92,000 miles. Two failures: the stator failed, replaced with an aftermarket one, and the rear axle tube failed at 60,000 miles. Later bikes had a redesigned axle tube.

Hats off to the high milers on this thread!

A little off topic, but how might one predict a pending stator failure? Or is it a matter of replacing after a certain # of miles?

TIA
Dave

In our case there were no warning signs the stator was failing, at least none that I noticed. Stator failures seemed to arise only in the past few years. It is my understanding that there was a design change that resulted in a reduction in the cooling of the stator, and that the design was changed again to correct the problem. It is not something you want to pay to replace out of your own pocket. If I recall correctly it was around $1200.

Back