• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel mileage

What are you getting on your LC boxer? I seem to be getting ~48-mph on my 16 RS which is about 5-mpg higher than my 99 RS.

Last edited:
On both of our R1200RSs I would say most tanks are in the 45 to 50 MPG range. Not unusual to see mid 50s if the speed is 65 or less.
When we headed to Texas with less than 1,000 miles on the bikes, riding 80 to 85 MPH into a strong headwind, we saw a few tanks under 40 MPG. Once the bikes were broke in I don't think we have seen under 40 MPG.

After 8,800 miles, by 2015 RT seems to have settled in at 47 mpg (computed) and 46.4 mpg (bike computer). If I used the upshift indicator (which I turned off the first week of ownership), I could be lugging the engine all day and probably get 50 mpg. I generally use the typical 90% gasoline-10% ethanol. I did have a couple of tanks of 91 octane/100% gasoline and got 55mpg (computed) at 65mph. That was in VA and NC.

My lowest has been 43 mpg (US) for a days ride from Albany to Bangor. Up through the White Mountain National Park on mostly the secondary roads but some high speeds (GPS showed 105+mph).

High so far was another secondary ride day but in flowing light traffic which saw a very good 63.5 mpg (US) for that 60 mile ride. The return segment that included more passing, and a brisker pace netted 58.8 mpg (US).

My overall average is 52.2 mpg (US), but the bike is nowhere near broken in. Picked it up last month with 571 miles on it and it now has just over 2,000 miles on it., so those figures should improve once it gets completely broken-in. Don't know where that would be for these engines. I know car engines are significantly different but my last two that I had from new didn't return their best fuel economy until 50,000+ miles.

I have averaged 50.3 mpg (computed) in 10K miles since new. I know get 52 mpg (computed) over the last 1K miles. The bike's computer generally shows ~55 mpg. I seldom ride for longish periods over 65 mph. When I do, the bike's instantaneous mpg drops considerably; like ~35 mpg at 80 mph. (Also, burns NO oil) :wave TOTALLY PLEASED WITH THE BIKE! :)

On a 3,000 mile trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, Waterton, I averaged 51 mpg. Freeway speeds at 75-80 knock it down to the mid-40's, while slower 2 lane roads at 65 mph or less will get mid-50s. I'm very pleased with the bike performance/efficiency balance.

Went for a 100 mile ride today. 60 to 65 MPH in Iowa and 65 to 70 MPH in Mo. returned 56 MPG on the computer and 54.5 MPG calculated.
I have 7,250 miles on the RS.

What are going on your LC boxer? I seem to be getting ~48-mph on my 16 RS which is about 5-mpg higher than my 99 RS.

That's very close to what I have gotten on my GS, which is a bit less aerodynamic than the faired wetheads...but it is still in Prius territory! :hide

I should reset the gauge to see how the mpg's are doing lately.

Harry

2016 r1200rs mpg

What are you getting on your LC boxer? I seem to be getting ~48-mph on my 16 RS which is about 5-mpg higher than my 99 RS.

Our '16 R1200RS with 15,006 miles on her gets from 40 to 50 mpg depending on the head wind and sustained speed.

On our most recent ride out to Lake Shasta, CA we got an over all average of 46.3 with a low of 38.7 and a high of 51.3.

This is riding two up with side bags and trunk.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Agitating the natives is never good.......Remember the movie "Deliverance"! :)

Well, I see that Prius thread is still alive...it's on my ignore list.

And I don't hear any banjo's.

Oh, and congrats on the new bike: awesome!

Harry

Back