Thread: tail light question (K1200RS)

ssls6

tail light question (K1200RS)

I have a 2002 K1200RS and recently changed the tail light lens to a clear lens. The clear lens requires a red tail light bulb which is almost impossible to find. I did find a red LED bulb that fits but my dash warning light is now illuminated (which, per the manual, means I have a tail light out). How can I continue to use my LED tail light without having my dash warning light lit?

Thanks,
    RLK

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssls6
    I have a 2002 K1200RS and recently changed the tail light lens to a clear lens. The clear lens requires a red tail light bulb which is almost impossible to find. I did find a red LED bulb that fits but my dash warning light is now illuminated (which, per the manual, means I have a tail light out). How can I continue to use my LED tail light without having my dash warning light lit?

Thanks,
    RLK
    You have to draw as much current as the original bulb. Most aftermarket LED sellers include a kit of resistors which draw the proper current and waste it as heat. I would suggest adding an extra incandescent bulb (s) somewhere (or possible more LEDs) to acheive the same current draw as the stock bulb(s). I think that current draw for the tail light is about 0.5 amps and for the brake light filament, about 1.5 amps.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

CustomSarge

Cool Door #3...

Make a cover for an incandescent bulb out of theatrical lighting gel. Handles the temp, plus you can pick the exact color.

At ~20mA a pop, it'd take 88 LEDs to draw the 1.75A/21W brake filament equivalent. The LED array on the LTX draws enough on the running circuit, but I run 4 x 27 ohm at 5W in the brake wiring. It's ~6.5 ohm load resistor, but make it 20+W for the heat.

A small solenoid draws around that; what sort of "flip-up" toy would be fun? I gotta see about this... G.H. <<<)))

Quote Originally Posted by ssls6

Thanks,
    RLK

You might try here: http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm (scroll down to the LB1157RS bulbs). Where did you get your lens? Pirate's Lair has non-LED kits http://piratesk12site.net/Cleartail.htm that apparently use a conventional bulb. You might contact them for a replacment bulb.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS