• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tail light question (K1200RS)

S

ssls6

I have a 2002 K1200RS and recently changed the tail light lens to a clear lens. The clear lens requires a red tail light bulb which is almost impossible to find. I did find a red LED bulb that fits but my dash warning light is now illuminated (which, per the manual, means I have a tail light out). How can I continue to use my LED tail light without having my dash warning light lit?

Thanks,
RLK

ssls6 said:
I have a 2002 K1200RS and recently changed the tail light lens to a clear lens. The clear lens requires a red tail light bulb which is almost impossible to find. I did find a red LED bulb that fits but my dash warning light is now illuminated (which, per the manual, means I have a tail light out). How can I continue to use my LED tail light without having my dash warning light lit?

Thanks,
RLK

You have to draw as much current as the original bulb. Most aftermarket LED sellers include a kit of resistors which draw the proper current and waste it as heat. I would suggest adding an extra incandescent bulb (s) somewhere (or possible more LEDs) to acheive the same current draw as the stock bulb(s). I think that current draw for the tail light is about 0.5 amps and for the brake light filament, about 1.5 amps.

Door #3...

Make a cover for an incandescent bulb out of theatrical lighting gel. Handles the temp, plus you can pick the exact color.

At ~20mA a pop, it'd take 88 LEDs to draw the 1.75A/21W brake filament equivalent. The LED array on the LTX draws enough on the running circuit, but I run 4 x 27 ohm at 5W in the brake wiring. It's ~6.5 ohm load resistor, but make it 20+W for the heat.

A small solenoid draws around that; what sort of "flip-up" toy would be fun? I gotta see about this... G.H. <<<)))

ssls6 said:

Thanks,
RLK

You might try here: http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm (scroll down to the LB1157RS bulbs). Where did you get your lens? Pirate's Lair has non-LED kits http://piratesk12site.net/Cleartail.htm that apparently use a conventional bulb. You might contact them for a replacment bulb.

Back