• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help - My spoke keeps breaking

noblekozak

Hi all,
I have a strange problem: The spoke of the rear wheel of my 2014 R1200GS adventure keep breaking. I am loosing them 5 or 6 at a time since last year.

The dealer reinstalled the lost spoke the first time and replace the entire wheel (at my request) the second time but I still loose spoke.

This time all seemed fine for a month until today. I went for a ride with my wife on a 500 Km journey who took me to some twisty road and I lost 5 or 6 of them again.

After some thinking it seem that the problem started when I replace the Anakee who came with my bike with the Heidenau scout tires.

Any body has a similar problem?

Do you think the tyre may be the problem?

Your advices will be appreciating

Welcome to the forum! Strange problem for sure. I'll be listening to what some of the Wethead owners have to say. :lurk

Another Welcome to the forum:wave

Sounds like someting is hitting the spokes:dunno Any aftermarket add-ons near the wheel? Those wheels take some proper techniques to re-tension, not every dealer is equipped to do such a repair.
Not being personal, but what's yur weight? Hard to think it's tire related..too many folks running those tires.

Spokes problem

Another Welcome to the forum:wave

Sounds like someting is hitting the spokes:dunno Any aftermarket add-ons near the wheel? Those wheels take some proper techniques to re-tension, not every dealer is equipped to do such a repair.
Not being personal, but what's yur weight? Hard to think it's tire related..too many folks running those tires.

HI,

No, I did not have anything close or on the wheel but it was a good try.
For the weight question I am 215 lbs and I never asked my wife about her weight (I want to stay alive :) ) but I am sure she’s not the problem.

Check tire pressures, I use 40 front 42 rear, comes in real handy if you encounter road hazards and pot holes, also run your preload up if you already haven't.

I had the the same problem years ago on a 1977 Honda 750. After replacing the broken spokes I found several broke after almost every ride. I just kept replacing them and tightening all of the spokes each time. It took a few months but eventually they stopped breaking and never had any more problems. If they get even a little loose they weaken and will eventually break. Keep them tight and even.

Interesting.....If you don't find an answer through the forum, you may want to contact Woody's wheel works. While I have no personal experience, this operation seems to be the "go-to" spot for wheel repair, customizations, and information.
Let us know how you make out.
Gary

spokes problem

Thank you all for the advices,

I always do a pre ride checkup, specially on the rear wheel since an add that problem an no one of them where loose before my last ride.

The ride was on some twisty road, in a normal speed between 80 and 100 km/h (120 on the strait line). This is my second year riding so I am not ridding to hard, specially with my wife onboard.

The problem seems to be that the end of the spoke break near the outer rim (not the side that you tight but the other)

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 207
Problems with spoke

Changed the back wheel and both tyres. I'll try to do the same ride then the last time to test everything.

Have you or the dealer checked the rims for true and adjusted the spokes using a spoke torque wrench? Since the spokes are popping at rim side, I would suspect they are being overtightened and pulling the ends to the point that they are breaking under load.

Have you or the dealer checked the rims for true and adjusted the spokes using a spoke torque wrench? Since the spokes are popping at rim side, I would suspect they are being overtightened and pulling the ends to the point that they are breaking under load.

I would hope his first replacement wheel from BMW was true and spokes correctly torqued.

Victory !

With the change of the second wheel and the new tyres my problem is gone !

Thank you all for your advices.

Hope to see you at the MOA rally

Wow that is a new problem to read about. I would have to guess you ended up with a couple of defective wheel/spoke sets from the factory. Mighty unusual for sure. Hopefully you are good now.

Talked to a club member Sunday who had spokes break on his GS as well recently.Was solo and no offroad or any recall of hitting anything:scratch

Had Woodys rebuild it instead of another OEM

Believe it is on a Camhead

Back