• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1st Impressions of an R1100RT

flhfxd

Took possession of my new (to me...) 2000 R1100RT this past Sunday. In the three days I have ridden it I have done about 1000 miles, mostly interstate but also some backroads. I had never ridden one before. I just wanted to pick up a decent used sample and see what this beemer stuff is all about. Honestly, on day one I felt less than impressed, especially since it humbled me and made look like a total rookie rider (in defence, previous owner didn't have clutch set up very well and I'm looking forward to getting that straightened out) and I couldn't seem to locate the footpegs! I've ridden Harley's for the last 30 years so forgive me for "losing" my footing!
Day two, I'm thinking to myself, "do I like this bike"? "hmmm, may be...still not sure"
Day three, today, I am convinced. This bike is fantastic. It just hummms along and excels at everything! And I'm averaging 48 mpg's. I won't sell my Harley's, but I might sell this so I can go git me a newer 1200.
So, with all that in mind, are the improvements exactly as you would expect? Curious about those Brick engines too.
Cheers, Flhfxd

what makes you say it?

The R1100RT is really a great bike. BMW hit a home run on that one.

I've owned mine for about 30K and love it, too. handling, comfort, fun in the twisties. But I'm curious, Anton. What are some of its qualities that make you call it a HR?

My only complaint is the bags won't hold a full-face helmet.

Took possession of my new (to me...) 2000 R1100RT this past Sunday. In the three days I have ridden it I have done about 1000 miles, mostly interstate but also some backroads. I had never ridden one before. I just wanted to pick up a decent used sample and see what this beemer stuff is all about. Honestly, on day one I felt less than impressed, especially since it humbled me and made look like a total rookie rider (in defence, previous owner didn't have clutch set up very well and I'm looking forward to getting that straightened out) and I couldn't seem to locate the footpegs! I've ridden Harley's for the last 30 years so forgive me for "losing" my footing!

As a former FXE owner, I relate.My shins took a beating the first test rides on a 11RT many years back. Be careful, the H-D's started getting dusty in the corner at my place and finally moved to a new home.
And the dry clutch takes a few runs to not slip and smoke it:thumb Proper adjustment of the cable at the lever and the tranny are key on the 1100's. Have a low mileage RS here this week that wasn't after a cable replacement and got new clutch at 30K according to it's history...just wrong!

The 11XX series are great, the 12's just got better in spite of some issues, but all models have their issues along the way.
Enjoy the new ride:thumb

...but all models have their issues along the way.

...except for the 1100S - a perfect bike in every conceivable way.

Yes, I'm kidding. :D

Congrats on your new-to-you bike, FLHFXD. You'll likely find that the more you ride it, the more you'll like it. :thumb

...except for the 1100S - a perfect bike in every conceivable way.

Yes, I'm kidding. :D

Congrats on your new-to-you bike, FLHFXD. You'll likely find that the more you ride it, the more you'll like it. :thumb

That is a very accurate assessment.

My bride and I purchased our 1100RT six years ago with approx 33000 miles on it. It now has over 117,000 miles on it and runs like a dream. Added plus is that it's easy to work on.

I've owned mine for about 30K and love it, too. handling, comfort, fun in the twisties. But I'm curious, Anton. What are some of its qualities that make you call it a HR?

My only complaint is the bags won't hold a full-face helmet.

The top bag will. I can put my size huge Schuberth in my top case no problem. It just has to be positioned just so. :thumb

I will say this: the turn signals.....WTF? Did no body tell BMW about self xxling switches?

There is an aftermarket option that cures that annoyance.

Reliability of these bikes and ease of service is most definitely a topic of discussion. I honestly wouldn't recommend a Beemer to any of my friends except those that are able to have the patience to work through some of the issues.

Honda's ST is a way better built bike and unfortunately, just lacks a bit of character.

Best though, as my bike is running most awesome so far, I can still out-ride and out-run my buddy who has had a Hardly all his life. He hasn't figured out why I can be on my third cocktail when we crash our why he needs an engine every season.

I'm not putting down the big "V" as I've owned many but Beemers are different.

But I'm curious, Anton. What are some of its qualities that make you call it a HR?

Remembering that it is a 20+ year old design now, it (with the other R1100 models) introduced the Telelever and for the most part ABS2. The the RT specifically had great ergonomics and weather protection and was nimble and fast. I ride a lot of different bikes, but riding a nice R11RT that hasn't been screwed up with a bunch of add-ons is always a joy.

Read some of the press from those days to see what a hit those bikes were when they launched.

How "just so?" don't mean to hijack, but maybe the OP will find it useful too

Laying on it's side, bottom of helmet to rear of top case, right in the middle. Sometimes need to rotate it slightly so the high spot is right in the middle of the top and it closes. I put a micro fiber cloth on the shield to protect it just in case.

"Remove left fairing" is a phrase you'll get used to reading if you do any of your own wrenching. Overall, the oilheads are relatively easy to work on, but the side fairings are a pain. 15 screws on each side, and the whole cumbersome piece has to be lined up just right if you want them all to go in. On the plus side, it gets easier after you've done it a few times.

One of my first trips on my 97 R1100rt was a 5 day circle tour of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. Take it on a long trip if you want to fully appreciate this bike.

Since you're already a Harley rider, the sticker shock for OEM parts from the dealer won't feel so bad.:lol

Large contrast between one of the sweetest engine configurations possible--boxer twin--and the absolute worst possible motorcycle engine design, i.e. 45-degree V-twin.

Maybe a little heat on your feet--which could be nice when weather is cold--versus sitting on an inferno.

Way smooth engine--the Oilhead is the least smooth of all BMW boxers but still pretty good--versus a disassemble-the-bike vibration monster.

Seems pretty likely most will like the BMW.

R1100 vs R1150 RT

I currently own a '97 R1100RT; thinking of moving up to a 2004 K1200GT. I also owned a 2004 R1150RT, which I liked much more than the 1100. Biggest diff was the issue with surging. My 1100 surges at low speeds, whereas the 1150, with dual spark plugs, had only the slightest hint of a surge. Also had an 1100GS that surged like a chronic asthmatic; but that problem was totally eliminated with a "Power Commander." Too bad BMW didn't keep the lines of the 1100/1150RT models. The new 1200RT's look like "Transformers!"

Last edited:
Day two, I'm thinking to myself, "do I like this bike"? "hmmm, may be...still not sure"
Day three, today, I am convinced. This bike is fantastic. It just hummms along and excels at everything! And I'm averaging 48 mpg's. I won't sell my Harley's, but I might sell this so I can go git me a newer 1200.
So, with all that in mind, are the improvements exactly as you would expect? Curious about those Brick engines too.
Cheers, Flhfxd

As an original owner of a 2004 RT, (85k), I can concur how great these bikes are. I commute 120 miles/day on mine, mix in a few track days, Sunday sprints, and it's taken me all over the country (including a thrilling 100mph+ run across Utah several years back).

I am most impressed with the durability, fuel mileage (consistent 48-50mpg), comfort and the way it just eats up miles, doing it's thing silently and with minimal complaint. It's different than a Harley as you'll no doubt agree. A BMW is more of a silent performer.

Glad you're enjoying the new experience.

You'll find that the Boxer is a bulletproof, character filled engine, going on 93 years now.

R

Back