• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

wire up top box brake light on 2015 R1200RT

airride

looking for help on wiring the brake light on top box for 2015 R1200RT. the box comes with socket to plug in for a 1600 but the RT does not. The dealer did not have time to do it and couldn't get me in for some time, salesman said was not a big
deal and I should be able to just splice in, but not having any luck. I thought I had it for awhile worked when brake was applied but would kick out relay if the brake was held on for longer time. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks , Bob

The following may help

Blue/Black: Right turn signal
Blue/Red:Left turn signal
Grey/Red: Tail light
Grey Black with Yellow dot: Brake
Brown: Ground

Jay

Actually the brake and tail leds use the same wire (Grey with black stripe) they just pulse width modulate to make it dimmer for the tail light.

Dave

Actually the brake and tail leds use the same wire (Grey with black stripe) they just pulse width modulate to make it dimmer for the tail light.

Dave

How do you know this to be true? I tested each wire with a meter and found the results posted above.

Jay

Last edited:
looking for help on wiring the brake light on top box for 2015 R1200RT. the box comes with socket to plug in for a 1600 but the RT does not. The dealer did not have time to do it and couldn't get me in for some time, salesman said was not a big
deal and I should be able to just splice in, but not having any luck. I thought I had it for awhile worked when brake was applied but would kick out relay if the brake was held on for longer time. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks , Bob

If you read the instructions to install the P3 lights from Skeene design , you can find what wires you need to splice. However it probably won't work without their module as the Canbus detects your extra lights as a leak and would shut down the circuit.

Thanks , Bob
I am surmising you don't have central locking. There have been several threads on how to get around this problem. I tied the top box light in to the clearwater can opener. But I have central locking which has the plug. You still have to rewire to get the light to work both ways.

Last edited:
The Skene works fine with CANBUS, the draw is so minuscule for the control unit the CANBUS doesn't even notice it. Same for Hyperlights. Since at least the '05 RT BMW has used a single wire for the tail light/brake light.

Wiring diagram from the Haynes manual:

Rear light: Grey - Black - Yellow
Grey - Red - Yellow

Ground: Brown

Rear left turn indicator: Blue - Red - White

Rear right turn indicator: Blue - Black - White

scan.jpg

Do you happen to have Clearwater lights on your RT?
If you do, you can tap into the Clearwater Canopener and achieve both tail light and brake light.

wire up top box brake light

thanks to all for info. I think I need another module to hook into, as just tapping into the ground and brake light wire will not work as the system detects a leak and shuts down that circuit. I guess I will have to talk to dealer and ask them what I will have to do [ if they will tell me] or have them do it, $200. thanks again. Bob

Back