Thread: Cross Country Trip? Please Help

Question Cross Country Trip? Please Help

I'm taking a trip from Pittsburgh to California and back this August. I haven't taken a long trip like this in many years. I am looking for a reliable moderately priced bluetooth headset for my HJC IS MAx-II Helmets. I was also wondering if anyone could help me out on some tips on what to bring, clothing, and any unforeseen issues i may encounter. I will be on a 2015 BMWF800GT and my son on a 2010 Multistrada 1200s.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you're excited about the trip. Check the Gear forum for suggestions on bike-to-bike communications...I seem to recall that there has been some recent discussion on that. The Sena system is mentioned from time to time:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....ena-10s-vs-10r
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by bhinkle View Post
    ... some tips on what to bring, clothing, and any unforeseen issues i may encounter. I will be on a 2015 BMWF800GT and my son on a 2010 Multistrada 1200s.

Thanks!!
    1. Pack half of what you THINK you will need--you can find a Walmart anywhere in America if something important is left home. The only real essentials are a credit card and a cell phone.
    2. Be ready for any kind of weather, even in August. You will be cool/cold in the mornings, and warm/hot in the evenings, and you will probably get wet. None of these are show-stoppers, so don't let them keep you from having fun.
    3. On a motorcycle trip, you WANT to run into unforeseen issues--that's the reason you take the trip after all.

Good luck and have a great time.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    1. Pack half of what you THINK you will need--you can find a Walmart anywhere in America if something important is left home. The only real essentials are a credit card and a cell phone.
    2. Be ready for any kind of weather, even in August. You will be cool/cold in the mornings, and warm/hot in the evenings, and you will probably get wet. None of these are show-stoppers, so don't let them keep you from having fun.
    3. On a motorcycle trip, you WANT to run into unforeseen issues--that's the reason you take the trip after all.

Good luck and have a great time.
    All of the above. Make sure you carry you anonymous book. It is a great help if you need help.

I never had to use mine. Have been called a number of times.
    An have had 2 over night visitors.

Have a great trip.

Remember 2017 National Rally in Salt Lake city area.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

Cross Country in August

The Great Basin (Nevada, western Utah), in the great "rain shadow" of the Sierra Nevadas, can be brutal in August. Planning the route to stay "at altitude" and timing the rides of the day to avoid the worst of it can ameliorate some of that, but I went a little too far one day and probably had a slight heat stroke. Could see snow in the mountains off to the south of the Interstate, but was baking out down on the basin floor. Just takes some special strategies - adds to the fun!

The high points of several cross-country trips on two BMWs are the: 1) unexpected conversations which occur in small towns whenever I stopped, 2) the wonderfully empty roads (US50 across Utah & Nevada were neat), and 3) my tolerance for solitude. You'll have company, but I like to ride alone, but was never lonely, so to speak.

If you don't have a schedule, I'd say you're better off. I found that a series of 300-mile days was just about the right pace for me. Riding the Interstates is faster, but seeing small-town America is worth seeing at a slower pace.

BTW, welcome to the Forums!
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Riding the Interstates is faster, but seeing small-town America is worth seeing at a slower pace.

“Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.”
    ― Charles Kuralt

Think about Charles and his quote the few times we HAVE to enter a ramp onto I-whatever. The other lines on the map are usually more interesting...from people to scenery to less big rigs and the implied rush of most users.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    The high points of several cross-country trips on two BMWs are the: 1) unexpected conversations which occur in small towns whenever I stopped, 2) the wonderfully empty roads (US50 across Utah & Nevada were neat), and 3) my tolerance for solitude. You'll have company, but I like to ride alone, but was never lonely, so to speak.

If you don't have a schedule, I'd say you're better off. I found that a series of 300-mile days was just about the right pace for me. Riding the Interstates is faster, but seeing small-town America is worth seeing at a slower pace.

Just did a trip from Portland ,OR to Steamboat ,CO The back roads you see things you never would think about. AWSOME as the kids say now.