• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cross Country Trip? Please Help

bhinkle

I'm taking a trip from Pittsburgh to California and back this August. I haven't taken a long trip like this in many years. I am looking for a reliable moderately priced bluetooth headset for my HJC IS MAx-II Helmets. I was also wondering if anyone could help me out on some tips on what to bring, clothing, and any unforeseen issues i may encounter. I will be on a 2015 BMWF800GT and my son on a 2010 Multistrada 1200s.

Thanks!!

... some tips on what to bring, clothing, and any unforeseen issues i may encounter. I will be on a 2015 BMWF800GT and my son on a 2010 Multistrada 1200s.

Thanks!!

1. Pack half of what you THINK you will need--you can find a Walmart anywhere in America if something important is left home. The only real essentials are a credit card and a cell phone.
2. Be ready for any kind of weather, even in August. You will be cool/cold in the mornings, and warm/hot in the evenings, and you will probably get wet. None of these are show-stoppers, so don't let them keep you from having fun.
3. On a motorcycle trip, you WANT to run into unforeseen issues--that's the reason you take the trip after all.

Good luck and have a great time.

1. Pack half of what you THINK you will need--you can find a Walmart anywhere in America if something important is left home. The only real essentials are a credit card and a cell phone.
2. Be ready for any kind of weather, even in August. You will be cool/cold in the mornings, and warm/hot in the evenings, and you will probably get wet. None of these are show-stoppers, so don't let them keep you from having fun.
3. On a motorcycle trip, you WANT to run into unforeseen issues--that's the reason you take the trip after all.

Good luck and have a great time.

All of the above. Make sure you carry you anonymous book. It is a great help if you need help.

I never had to use mine. Have been called a number of times.
An have had 2 over night visitors.

Have a great trip.

Remember 2017 National Rally in Salt Lake city area.

Cross Country in August

The Great Basin (Nevada, western Utah), in the great "rain shadow" of the Sierra Nevadas, can be brutal in August. Planning the route to stay "at altitude" and timing the rides of the day to avoid the worst of it can ameliorate some of that, but I went a little too far one day and probably had a slight heat stroke. Could see snow in the mountains off to the south of the Interstate, but was baking out down on the basin floor. Just takes some special strategies - adds to the fun!

The high points of several cross-country trips on two BMWs are the: 1) unexpected conversations which occur in small towns whenever I stopped, 2) the wonderfully empty roads (US50 across Utah & Nevada were neat), and 3) my tolerance for solitude. You'll have company, but I like to ride alone, but was never lonely, so to speak.

If you don't have a schedule, I'd say you're better off. I found that a series of 300-mile days was just about the right pace for me. Riding the Interstates is faster, but seeing small-town America is worth seeing at a slower pace.

BTW, welcome to the Forums!

Riding the Interstates is faster, but seeing small-town America is worth seeing at a slower pace.

:thumb

“Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.”
― Charles Kuralt

Think about Charles and his quote the few times we HAVE to enter a ramp onto I-whatever. The other lines on the map are usually more interesting...from people to scenery to less big rigs and the implied rush of most users.

The high points of several cross-country trips on two BMWs are the: 1) unexpected conversations which occur in small towns whenever I stopped, 2) the wonderfully empty roads (US50 across Utah & Nevada were neat), and 3) my tolerance for solitude. You'll have company, but I like to ride alone, but was never lonely, so to speak.

If you don't have a schedule, I'd say you're better off. I found that a series of 300-mile days was just about the right pace for me. Riding the Interstates is faster, but seeing small-town America is worth seeing at a slower pace.

Just did a trip from Portland ,OR to Steamboat ,CO The back roads you see things you never would think about. AWSOME as the kids say now.

Back