• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Massachusetts or New England Off Road Places?

activehybrid

Hi everyone,

I would like to take my 2013 GS to her real environment which is off road :) So I looked some places, still searching an off road path that I can practice on my own.

Please help if you know any big off road areas? I found many State Forest but what I need is a simple off road path without trees.

Thanks.

Foxboro state forest is not far from you. Check the state for the "off road" registration regulations.....A plate doesn't do it any more :banghead
In New Hampshire there is much more opportunities- still need "off road vehicle" registration. There is a southern run from Derry to Fremont, about 12 miles that might be just what you are looking for.....I was there yesterday on the ATV.
OM

I will ride Foxboro State Forest and Franklin State Forest now. Other places in NH seem much better but I will do it next week.

Thanks for your answer!

Maybe we can ride together next week.

I will ride Foxboro State Forest and Franklin State Forest now. Other places in NH seem much better but I will do it next week.

Thanks for your answer!

Maybe we can ride together next week.
I currently don't have any "off highway" registrations for Mass. Last I knew, you needed the off road reg to go into Foxboro, Franklin, Wrentham or Freetown (in this area). If you want to register, it's kind of a PITA. For you, probably a trip to Fall River. You will need to bring Proof that you paid your sales tax. The fact that you rhode in on your registered bike after obtaining the license plate you could not obtain without having paid your sales tax- doesn't cut it.
In New Hampshire, they are just happy to see you. Once you get north of Mount Washington, in season, there is 1000 miles of trails at least half would be ok on a 1200GS.
The Yankee Beemers have some events coming up that will be pre-MOA rally that include what is advertised as "great dirt riding" in southern NH.
http://www.kenspring.com/ybforum/sh...Hampshire-at-Field-and-Forest-Recreation-Area
Iffin' you want to join the YB forum, I can git you in :deal
Good luck.
Gary

Any good (safe) places to park a truck/trailer in the North Country to access the trails up there?
Sure, the thousand miles of trails start in a large part in Gorham (Mt. Washington). Upper route 16 runs through into Berlin. There are signs for Jericho State Park off 16, I think it's route 110- have a look at the maps. The Rangers at the park at great guys who run the park and camping. Camping is usually booked on weekends but for a small fee, you can use their lot.
Just before the park is Jericho Motorsports, http://jerichomotorsports.com , another great operation willing to help you out if you need anything. Next to their building is a huge parking lot where many park. They can also get you registered for the trails, the fee helps keep the trails maintained.
If you happen to go in the beginning of August, the ATV festival will be on- http://www.androscogginvalleychamber.com/jericho-atv-festival/ It's so nice to see an area of the country embrace the power-sports fun.
OM

Hi Gary,

One of my friend at work told me to ride Oxford - Hodge Village Dam - but I need get off-road vehicle registration from Worcester DMV. I guess riding New Hampshire seems better for me.

Do you have the name and address of those places in New Hampshire? I'm planning to ride on Saturday.

Thanks
Onur

Hi Gary,

One of my friend at work told me to ride Oxford - Hodge Village Dam - but I need get off-road vehicle registration from Worcester DMV. I guess riding New Hampshire seems better for me.

Do you have the name and address of those places in New Hampshire? I'm planning to ride on Saturday.

Thanks
Onur
Here is the link for NH registrations- http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/ohrv/registration.html
Unlike Mass, there are many places to get that done. I don't know how far you want to ride to trails so some searching around should set you up. If you want to follow the YB link from the previous post, Bob the campground owner can most likely get you set up.
Gary

Jericho park is great. I have been many times on my ATV, but most of the trails would be fine on a big GS. For your first time I would pay to park at the rangers station and go talk to them and they will give you a map and tell you what trails you might want to avoid on a big bike. They are very helpful. We went up on Columbus Day weekend and my teen daughter was cold so we went in and bought her a sweat shirt but her hands were cold. The ranger we talked to went to his own truck and let her borrow his winter gloves, not state issue work gloves but his own gloves.
I am not sure if this is OK, if not mods can delete, but if you go over to Advrider.com they have a regional section and members, they call themselves inmates, have put together some routes in NH, the Hamster, and MA, the puppy dog, that run most of the state on dirt and are big bike friendly. Just be aware that ADVrider sometimes is not for the faint of heart.

The only little decent place is in Oxford, MA - Hodges Village Dam but I couldn't find a big/giant off road to go very slow with the bike.

I will try CT and NH. Jericho Park is 3 hours away from Boston. If anybody go off road riding, please text me to organize - 339-293-7521

Onur

Jericho State park is 3 hours drive from Boston. I checked Rockinham Recreational Trail but its narrow - 2 bikes can fit - and its full of deep sand.

I just need a size of Football Field dirt road to practice, that's all I need. I check Rider Planet but did not see a place like a football field without trees around Boston.

I will go to Littleton and Jericho in worst case cause I got NH Off Highway Vehicle sticker for $67

Back