• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New tires for the GSA ... Need some advice!

TimFarno

I'm looking for some advice on tires to replace the Anakee 3 on my 2016 GSA. Heading to Alaska in a few weeks and will likely be riding 70% tarmac / 30% other. I live ion the Pacific Northwest so wet traction is a priority. I ran K60 Scouts on my 2012 GSA and found them to wear like iron but also ride hard with questionable wet traction. Would appreciate your experience with others. At this point I am considering TKC70, TKC80 and Anakee Wilds but open to recommendations! Thanks

Have had good luck with Tourances on F800GS and Super Tenere. I'm running some Shinko 705s on the Tenere now and they are doing well, but loud at interstate speeds.

In August 2015 I visited the BMW dealership in Ferndale, WA to replace the Anakee-3s with Heidenau K60 Scouts on my 2015 R1200GSA for my trip to Alaska, saving my nearly new Anakees for my return. Most of the trip wouldn't have been a problem even on PR4s, but I'm glad to have the improved traction when I rode from Dawson City on the Taylor Hwy to the Alaska Hwy, on the Dalton Hwy from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle, on the Denali Hwy from Cantwell to the Richardson Hwy, and through a lengthy, very muddy construction zone on the Alaska Hwy just inside Yukon Territory. I found the K60s performed well, albeit noisily on pavement at around 45 mph, during the entire trip of nearly 6K miles until I returned to Ferndale to have my stored Anakees remounted for my return trip to Florida. The front K60 still had lots of tread depth and doubtless would have been adequate for my return home. The rear K60 still had good tread depth, but probably would have been worn too much for that distance on pavement.

During the journey, I did discover that the rear K60 would tend to hydroplane on very wet asphalt at speeds over 65 mph/100 kmh. Keeping my speed below that level eliminated the hydroplaning.

When/if I make another trip to Alaska or the wilds of Canada, I would feel comfortable with another set of K60s. However, I would also like to try the Anakee-Wild tires, despite reports of excessive road noise.

Additionally, I commend the BMW dealership in Ferndale, WA for their service and friendly support during my visits before and after my trip to Alaska.

-- Don

Thanks for the input! I like the Tourance and had the same experience with the K60's. My dealer GSA expert strongly suggested the Metzler Karoo 3 tires as the very best all-around for the GSA. He mentioned that the Anakee Wilds are 'scary' in the twisties and reinforced my opinion of the K60. Going to do some more research before giving the K3's a shot.

Thanks for the input! I like the Tourance and had the same experience with the K60's. My dealer GSA expert strongly suggested the Metzler Karoo 3 tires as the very best all-around for the GSA. He mentioned that the Anakee Wilds are 'scary' in the twisties and reinforced my opinion of the K60. Going to do some more research before giving the K3's a shot.

TKC70 sounds good for your application. Mine stick well on pavement and I haven't noticed any wobbling and vibrations while riding cracked pavement, like some people claim. Mine are mounted on 2014 1200gsa.

I have been using K60 Heidenau on my 14 GSA. Getting over 10k on the rear and the front will probably live longer than me :)

Back