• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

operating temperature

ROBERTSI

Just curious as to what operating temperatures are normal.
After installing ALT Rider radiator guards, I'm running at 82 to 84 deg.celcius... is that normal ?

Just curious as to what operating temperatures are normal.
After installing ALT Rider radiator guards, I'm running at 82 to 84 deg.celcius... is that normal ?

My R1200RS runs about 85 Celsius at cruising speeds.

mine is between 177-188 while cruising around 60+ mile

dealer told me it should be between 190-210 . the fan kicks in after 210 in my 2013 GS

So it looks like the radiator guards are not causing it to run warmer than it should, which I think was the OP's real question.

2015 GS temps

82-84 C sounds normal based on my experience:
Reference point for OP, from my daily commute which covers too many miles on the slab with 2015 GSLC:
1. Initial startup....temp climbs steadily to around 194F , thermostat kicks in and drops to 181 F (if running on the highway)
2. Highway cruising - stays in the 181 - 194 range. Thermostat seems to open up around 190, temp tops out at 194 and then drops.
3. Stop and go traffic - temp climbs to 210 or 212 F, fan seems to kick on around 206/208. Temp drops down to 192 F and starts the cycle all over again.

And I thought I had the computer/dash board figured out on my RT and now I see where you guys are quoting temperature of the engine---where does one find that number please

TIA

Knobby

And I thought I had the computer/dash board figured out on my RT and now I see where you guys are quoting temperature of the engine---where does one find that number please

TIA

Knobby

On my RS I press the info button and it will cycle through about 12 values.
If you have a NavV you can select it as one of the values to show on the My Motorcycle screen.
NavV.JPG

info button

TIA

Knobby

If you press on the info button, you will see various readings and engine temperature is one of those. I'm referring to the 2014 1200gsa.

temperature is ok

Thanks fellas for your input. Peace of mind to know that my radiator guards aren't affecting my operating temperature. FWIW, I was standing at railway crossing. The fan kicked in at 100 deg Celsius and I noticed the engine temperature going down to 93 degrees while sitting there waiting for train to go by. I was just curious.

Only if you have the Nav V

TIA

Knobby

What these kind hearted souls didn't say was this information is available if you have the Nav V.....

Those temps seem pretty low for a water cooled bike with a 95C thermostat. I know we are talking water temp but you'd want your oil temp to be a lot higher than that. I guess it really just depends on where in the system it gets its reading, inlet or outlet.

TIA

Knobby

GS and GSA can display on NAV V for some reason bmw chose to not allow RT to display those values, would be cool if we could

What these kind hearted souls didn't say was this information is available if you have the Nav V.....

I can see the engine temp on the dash of my RS. Is that not a option on the RT
and GS?

Last edited:
Where would I find?

It is on the RT.

I just bought a 2014 RT. How would I know if this option is available (other than run the VIN through my dealer)? Is it only with Nav 5 as described above?
I just picked it up and will take it to be serviced and gone over tomorrow.

It is on the RT.

I don't see My Motorcycle on the NAV V on my 14 RT, to bad it's nice to have all that info in one place. The only temp display on the RT are the bar's next fuel level, no way to know the real temp to my knowledge without some kind of add on.

Jay

Back