• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Touring tip

What product is "flat black wrap" ? What is it normally used for? I am not familiar with that term, but it may well be an answer to a glaring problem.

The brand I used was Dupli-Color Custom Wrap, Flat Black. It is sold in 12oz aerosol cans. I bought mine at Ace Hardware.

Here's a Top Tip

If you buy toothpaste in a flip top container, then be prepared to have it explode in your side case while riding in 100+ degree temperatures. Trust me on this.... I know.

I normally ride with my phone turned off and in my top case. Voni can tell where I am because she is usually 2 to 4 seconds behind me or ahead of me. Ditto for her phone too. :)

Last edited:
+1 :thumb

I ridden in heat up to the high nineties, always with my phones in my jacket pockets and never had them shut down because of either ambient or my body heat.

Just like ATGATT, having my phone on me is an essential piece of safety equipment, (just in case something unexpected should happen).

I tend to agree with having the cell phone in a jacket pocket. Except for the time I had a wallet in my Aerostitch right inner pocket up near my lung and had a zero speed fall to the right on a steep shoulder/ditch. My friend had stopped, Istopped behind him and goofed up. When I fell, the thick wallet caused me pain then and for days following. I now have a Big Skinny wallet. They had a booth at Das Rally and may be at SLC, but I don't recall seeing their name on the Rally vendor list. So, if you do carry a phone in your jacket, don't choose a high pocket, in my estimation. It might destroy the phone and cause you harm at the same time. In fact, keep everything out of jacket pockets that you can. That's my practice. You can make your own choice.

Think about what you have in each pocket and consider the damage done in various falls. Make an appropriate for you choice.

This is exactly why I put my toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, and oil in zip-lock freezer bags ("Freezer" bags are stronger than "regular" bags).
And for the toothpaste - those bottom corners are sharp enough to pierce the bag, so I cut off a tiny bit at about a 45 degree angle, no problem.
I don't carry a cell phone - after all, I'm on vacation!

Like a couple others, I use an inReach SE for my wife to track my whereabouts. Lots of places out west where cell coverage isn't available.

I keep my Samsung Note 4 in the tankbag when traveling. I've had occasions where the pressure from my leg in my pants pocket as tried to do things, like make phone calls for me, so it goes in the tankbag where it won't do that.

Garmin's Smartphone Link app provides traffic reports and other info, but requires the phone's GPS and BT be turned on. For an all day trip, that would run the phone down, so I charge the phone in the tankbag. I was riding recently in Utah in temps as high as 99.5F, and my phone didn't overheat.

Chris

I sure didn't mean it that way. Sorry you took it that way. Just pointing out what I have learned the hard way. As always YMMV but please don't get offended.

Back