Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Touring tip

Same glare situation on my GSA with a BMW tankbag. My solution was to mask and spray the clear plastic with flat black wrap. This stuff readily peels off if you decide you want the clear to read maps. In my case the glare was very distracting so the flat black paint remains. The black coating has weathered rain and heat for the past year with no issues.

If/when I sell the bag I will then peel it off.
    2014 R1200 GSA W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

Gretchen and I got to experience our first ride in the rain today.

image.jpg

As promised; here's a picture of the flat black vinel solution for the tankbag I promised yesterday. Seems to work fine, even rain tested today.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Without vinel

MOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post

As promised; here's a picture of the flat black vinel solution for the tankbag I promised yesterday. Seems to work fine, even rain tested today.
    Do you mean vinyl?
    If you are trying to keep the tank bag cooler you should try a reflective or lighter color like silver.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Same glare situation on my GSA with a BMW tankbag. My solution was to mask and spray the clear plastic with flat black wrap. This stuff readily peels off if you decide you want the clear to read maps. In my case the glare was very distracting so the flat black paint remains. The black coating has weathered rain and heat for the past year with no issues.

If/when I sell the bag I will then peel it off.
    What product is "flat black wrap" ? What is it normally used for? I am not familiar with that term, but it may well be an answer to a glaring problem.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Do you mean vinyl?
    If you are trying to keep the tank bag cooler you should try a reflective or lighter color like silver.
    Yes, vinyl... I thought of other colours but settled on the flat black to reduce the glare.
    MOA # 143779

Great Touring Tip. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    What product is "flat black wrap" ? What is it normally used for? I am not familiar with that term, but it may well be an answer to a glaring problem.
    The brand I used was Dupli-Color Custom Wrap, Flat Black. It is sold in 12oz aerosol cans. I bought mine at Ace Hardware.

Here's a Top Tip

If you buy toothpaste in a flip top container, then be prepared to have it explode in your side case while riding in 100+ degree temperatures. Trust me on this.... I know.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I normally ride with my phone turned off and in my top case. Voni can tell where I am because she is usually 2 to 4 seconds behind me or ahead of me. Ditto for her phone too.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 06-28-2017 at 03:31 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    +1

I ridden in heat up to the high nineties, always with my phones in my jacket pockets and never had them shut down because of either ambient or my body heat.

Just like ATGATT, having my phone on me is an essential piece of safety equipment, (just in case something unexpected should happen).
    I tend to agree with having the cell phone in a jacket pocket. Except for the time I had a wallet in my Aerostitch right inner pocket up near my lung and had a zero speed fall to the right on a steep shoulder/ditch. My friend had stopped, Istopped behind him and goofed up. When I fell, the thick wallet caused me pain then and for days following. I now have a Big Skinny wallet. They had a booth at Das Rally and may be at SLC, but I don't recall seeing their name on the Rally vendor list. So, if you do carry a phone in your jacket, don't choose a high pocket, in my estimation. It might destroy the phone and cause you harm at the same time. In fact, keep everything out of jacket pockets that you can. That's my practice. You can make your own choice.

Think about what you have in each pocket and consider the damage done in various falls. Make an appropriate for you choice.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    If you buy toothpaste in a flip top container, then be prepared to have it explode in your side case while riding in 100+ degree temperatures. Trust me on this.... I know.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Some like minty fresh toothpaste on their bags

This is exactly why I put my toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, and oil in zip-lock freezer bags ("Freezer" bags are stronger than "regular" bags).
    And for the toothpaste - those bottom corners are sharp enough to pierce the bag, so I cut off a tiny bit at about a 45 degree angle, no problem.
    I don't carry a cell phone - after all, I'm on vacation!