Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Touring tip

  1. #1

    Touring tip

    In the spirit of Kevin's old touring tip contribution, I recently came across a tip worthy of sharing.

    On my way home from the chicken rally last month, my wife was tracking my movements on the bike as she often does, using her "find a friend app". She became concerned when I stopped moving around Goshen AL. She became even more concerned when she tried calling and texting and got no response, (phone is linked to helmet). So when I pulled in I could see the concern on her face as I dismounted the bike after a long trip. Pulling my phone out of the tank bag I immediately ascertained the problem: phone had shutdown due to overheating in my tank bag. I never realized I was "unconnected" to the phone.

    So I thought, "If only my tank bag was air conditioned." At first I dismissed the idea for the obvious reasons, and then as I often do I started thinking outside the box, or in this case, outside the tankbag. My solution: a small freezer block wrapped in a microfiber towel. The solution proved very effective at keeping tankbag temps down, water bottle cool, and to my surprise an additional capability, as the microfiber towel absorbs the condensation, providing a perfect solution for cleaning optics enroute.

    image.jpgimage.jpg
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    37
    Great idea, will try it. But did it keep the Reese candy from melting?

  3. #3
    Registered User REDC650GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    273

    Storage of cell phone.

    Reese,

    I have been on threads like this before and several members posted about keeping the phone on your person in the event of a hard off and separation from the bike. I know the helmet may have a Voice activated system but mine links to the phone through my NAV V and I don't know if damaged or disconnected the phone would link to the com system if NAV V is destroyed. Others may help enlighten on this subject.

    Thanks for bringing this up.

    Chris

  4. #4
    Chris,
    Yes I'm familiar with the "tankbag verses on your person argument". An overheated phone on my body would be just as non functional. Also I would imagine a high probability of damage and destruction to the phone during a crash sequence where it would be placed on the body, especially a thigh pocket, a chest pocket may survive an impact scenario. If one needs to cool a phone that was carried in a riding jacket, smaller freezer packs could be used in the pocket to keep the phone and maybe the rider a little cooler.

    One additional advantage of having a freezer pack available: ice pack to reduce swelling of an injury readily available. And of course if you keep a pack of Reece's pieces in your tank bag it will keep them from melting.

    An additional tip: daisy chain your 550 chord so it's easy to pull off and cut, never gets knotted up. I would have to include a video on how to do it if your unfamiliar with the process.

    image.jpg
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

  5. #5
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    An additional tip: daisy chain your 550 cord so it's easy to pull off and cut, never gets knotted up. I would have to include a video on how to do it if your unfamiliar with the process.
    Here are a few
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

  6. #6
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    691
    You could also try something like CrashLight. Part of the EatSleepRIDE app, but you'd wan to keep your phone on your person for that. I do anyway so that I have it with me when I'm getting lunch etc., while on a ride. Prefer to have my wallet and phone on my person rather than leave either on the bike.

    In the event of a crash, CrashLight lets you choose your safety team. With no additional devices required, the technology leverages features available in the smart phone to automatically detect a motorcycle crash.

    When a crash is detected, it will immediately send notifications to three (3) pre-set contacts with the rider's last known geographical location by SMS text message, automated phone call and email.
    The site says it is only available for iOS but I've got it on my Android as part of the EatSleepRIDE app.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  7. #7
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,393
    Never had my phone over heat while in a pocket. Happened once in my tank bag, so I put it back in my pocket.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  8. #8
    Bluenoser
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lethbridge Alberta
    Posts
    701
    Your body temp is going to be lower than a tank bag in direct sunlight. I've had GPS shut down because of high temps ( sitting in the sun ) so I don't see why a cell phone would be any different.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1998 VT1100T

  9. #9
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    928
    I've always carried my phone on my person, the theory being that if I find myself damaged by the roadside, I'd prefer to avoid having to crawl around to find the phone. Hey, when you fall off and get seriously injured, you'll want to take selfies and text them to your friends while you wait for the medics...
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

  10. #10
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I've always carried my phone on my person, the theory being that if I find myself damaged by the roadside, I'd prefer to avoid having to crawl around to find the phone. Hey, when you fall off and get seriously injured, you'll want to take selfies and text them to your friends while you wait for the medics...
    +1

    I ridden in heat up to the high nineties, always with my phones in my jacket pockets and never had them shut down because of either ambient or my body heat.

    Just like ATGATT, having my phone on me is an essential piece of safety equipment, (just in case something unexpected should happen).
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

  11. #11
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Never had my phone over heat while in a pocket. Happened once in my tank bag, so I put it back in my pocket.
    I have seen quite a few reports of Iphones overheating in tankbags that have a map case. The clear map pocket can create a lot of solar heat.
    Never heard of one overheating in a jacket pocket.

    Never had my Android phone overheat in my jacket pocket, but most of the time it's shut off while riding
    This weekend on the way to and back from the Iowa Rally I left the phone on so I could see how the Smartphone link worked for weather with my NavV. The temps were in the mid to upper 90s while riding and no problems.
    The phone was in a inside chest pocket.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  12. #12
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    In the spirit of Kevin's old touring tip contribution, I recently came across a tip worthy of sharing.

    On my way home from the chicken rally last month, my wife was tracking my movements on the bike as she often does, using her "find a friend app". She became concerned when I stopped moving around Goshen AL. She became even more concerned when she tried calling and texting and got no response, (phone is linked to helmet). So when I pulled in I could see the concern on her face as I dismounted the bike after a long trip. Pulling my phone out of the tank bag I immediately ascertained the problem: phone had shutdown due to overheating in my tank bag. I never realized I was "unconnected" to the phone.

    So I thought, "If only my tank bag was air conditioned." At first I dismissed the idea for the obvious reasons, and then as I often do I started thinking outside the box, or in this case, outside the tankbag. My solution: a small freezer block wrapped in a microfiber towel. The solution proved very effective at keeping tankbag temps down, water bottle cool, and to my surprise an additional capability, as the microfiber towel absorbs the condensation, providing a perfect solution for cleaning optics enroute.

    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Good idea on cooling, especially for water. I use an InReach SE for my wife to track.
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

  13. #13
    Touring Rider GRLambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Posts
    148
    I also use the INReach system so my wife can tell where I am at. Works great! Also works in areas outside of cell coverage... not uncommon in the mountains. Cell phone in holster on my belt has never overheated In the Arizona heat.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2016 R1200RT

  14. #14
    DBLUPPR snookers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Niagara Wine Region
    Posts
    373
    Reece.....a great idea for sure, although I have not as yet encountered temps to shut down my iphone , and on our latest trip we were travelling in temps of 100*f plus
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

    BMWMCO #45

  15. #15
    All good stuff. Touring tips everywhere. Lots of things to consider. Last night I cut to size a flat black vinel and placed it on my clear map case on my tank bag. I've found the tank bag throws up a lot of glare and reflection. I think the vinel will also extend the life of the tankbag map cover regarding bleaching by the sun. I'll try to post a pick later.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •